daewoo made bad car, really really

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

goldiegill

its not daewoo's mistake

Post by goldiegill »

Please for GOD sake, don't blame daewoo. If u r buying a used car (any make), please make sure u do some simple checks before going on road:-
1. Change Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs (NGK's only and that too exact match).
2. Check (or replace) timing belt and other belts accross altenator and compressor.
3. Grease the ball bearings of all four tyres.
4. Start the car and run at 150 KMPH.............. no worries now.
5. Now blame daewoo if something happens.
Goldie
Markthomasz

Just another *happy* owner..

Post by Markthomasz »

I understand how the OP feels, but everyone's story is different - here's mine.. I bought my Lanos (just the 1.5) new in 2002 - I was aware of the whole imminent-daewoo-collapse problem, but was confident that GM (Australia) would look after me (which they did/have), and I test drove a lot of vehicles and liked the way the car felt to drive... My purchase criteria was:

1. Cheap (yep, that's me!)
2. Legroom and comfort (I'm 6'2" with long legs)
3. Economical
4. Reasonably good-looking (I got the metallic 'Brilliant Green' one, I still love that colour!!)
5. 3 year free service/roadside assist

I took a lot of care with running the car in, using all the appropriate techniques to bed the engine and brakes in. Maybe that paid off. I only had two very minor issues during the warranty period - one being a dislodged horn connection, the other being a quick and painless recall for a faulty batch of alloy wheels (not Daewoo/GM's fault). Apart from removing the resonator, tinted windows, towbar (!), changing to slightly oversized Pirelli tyres (small hit on performance and slightly lower revs on the open road) and adding a nice sound system/sub, it's all original.

To date, the *only* work done on the car has been:
- regular servicing
- first timing belt change at 70,000km
- new plugs at 90,000km
- small coolant leak noticed at 110,000km - section of heater hose replaced
- temperature gauge erratic at 115,000km - cleaned terminal, ok
- new disc pads at 130,000km! (yep.. and the rear shoes are still the original!)
- second timing belt change at 150,000km

That's it. Not a single breakdown or refusal to start, no real problems of any kind over 4 years and 153,000km.. touch wood! It's still on the original battery, even the air-con hasn't been recharged.. All interior trim intact, everything works fine. It's been the only car I have ever driven (including Fords, Holdens, Subarus, Mitsubishis) that I can get out of after a 3-5 hour drive without a sore back or pins and needles in my right leg.

OK, maybe I'm not what you would call a hard/hoon driver, but even so, I'm not gentle with it either, and we are talking about a vehicle that has been driven over some of the roughest two-wheel drive roads in Oz, including the northwest of South Australia, the Flinders Ranges, and a regular 'little drive' from Port Lincoln SA to Brisbane Qld/return (about 2300km each way, normally done in 2.5-3 days with no co-driver). The woo sits happily and very smoothly on the open road at 130kmh.. er, not that I would ever exceed the posted speed limit, of course.

So... call me 'satisfied'!

When I look at internet car forums, I'm astounded by the numerous tales of woe from drivers of the 'bigger' and more respected brands (like Mercedes, Audis, Hondas, etc) and I just can't imagine how they would feel owning vehicles that have had major breakdowns early in their life. Oh well, guess I'm a little lucky.. (O;
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

and people call daewoo's unreliable...? glad your so happy with your woo, glad to have you as a member on here.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanowoo
Expert

Welcome!

Post by lanowoo »

daewoomofo wrote:and people call daewoo's unreliable...? glad your so happy with your woo, glad to have you as a member on here.
+1
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is always a simple equation: good service = good car
some people expect it to be: no sevice = good car
and then they find out it is : no service = shitty car
when that happens they blame it on the car not on the negligent owner... petty!

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
DOOFWOO

daewoo not a dud

Post by DOOFWOO »

I have a 97 daewoo lanos. i must have gotten a really good one... my lanos now has 335,000 k's on the clock .... the only thing that has gone wrong with her was the coil pack packed it in. other than that she has run with no problems ... limited servicing and has only had the timing belt changed once. my motor is all but bulletproof. i have bounced it off the rev limiter more than a few times and top out the sppedo more times than i can recall. i have had mazda's and nissans and nothing compared to this car.

The cam and rockers are a little worn now and starting to get a little rattley, couldn't be bothered rebuilding this one so i am doing the 2.0L swap.

DAEWOO's Rock

You can just slag off a whole breed of cars for one bad car. ...... all breeds have lemons, just smile and try again.

i have been through the following cars ... :

1970 Mazda 1300 - bottom end bearings flogged out often so i did the 2L swap ... no regrets
Holden TD Cortina 250 crossflow - great strong motors with alot of pull ... no regrets
Ford XW Falcon 250 crossflow twin turbo 7psi boost - really wish i didn't sell this one ...
Ford Laser - after the falcon it lacked a little ( written off cause some tool didn't know how to give way to oncoming traffic )
MY DAEWOO ----->> wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world .... I can throw this car into corners harder than i can when i am on my CBR250RR Import Roadbike.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

so much good feedback rather than bad... keep 'em comming guys.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267