Performance Cams for 2.0L engines

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Performance Cams for 2.0L engines

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have a US company that is willing to make reasonably priced Cams for the 2.0L/2.2L engines but I wanted to see if the pricing is good enough for people to show interest

In general the testing showed a 10hp to 25hp gains depending on setup.... but those were on two very aggressive versions which require solid lifters

I want to get a slightly watered down version that should be good for 10hp to 15hp.

The price would be somewhere in the range of $350 USD per set of cams ( 1 exhaust cam , 1 intake cam )

If significant interest is shown it's possible that I might be able to get this lower.... say $325.... hard to say... depends on quantity.

These cams are formed out of solid blanks.... they aren't crappy reprofiled factory cams... very high quality.

Anyways....... I need you guys to let me know about this as I won't go ahead with the project unless there are a few guys interested.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I'm intrested! If you didnt already...I'll post on suzuki-forums.

I take it those #s are at the crank? Still really good though.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

No... I've only posted on Daewootech.... I figured you might want in on this.... it would certainly be easier for the USA guys if the cams went from the manufacturer to you.... then you could ship them out to everyone.

I will email you some info... Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I might be interested, is there anymore info / specifics about the cams?
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

+1
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:I might be interested, is there anymore info / specifics about the cams?
Yes... but the cams that are currently produced are high lift (11.35mm) and are more suited for race vehicles... duration is 290 and 300 for the high output cam set.

They require solid lifters.... so I would need them to make a custom batch of 10 to 20 sets at a slightly lower lift more suitable for street performance with the factory hydraulic lifters.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:
exist3nce wrote:I might be interested, is there anymore info / specifics about the cams?
.... so I would need them to make a custom batch of 10 to 20 sets at a slightly lower lift more suitable for street performance with the factory hydraulic lifters.
What would be the specs of the ones you would sell for street?
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

bump?
boosted_to_zero

Post by boosted_to_zero »

Im interested mate. Is any tuning required or do u just bolt them on.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Question from Suzuki forums:
"Just a few ? who makes them, are they forged, and how aggressive are they. There are very few that makes cams well. I was in a shop to see drag cams made alot goes into them."
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't really want to say the name of the company quite yet.
The cams come from South America (where Astra's are common) so it's unlikely anyone knows the company name.
This company has been building race cams since 1964... and the blanks are built out of high quality cast iron.
They have a USA office.... which is way easier to deal with than getting stuff from South America. ( trust me on this one... it's way way harder than getting things from UK/Europe )

Like I said.... their primary business is for race applications.... and if they won't sell their cams in a less aggressive form I'm sure I can get a bulk quantity reground to new specifications in the USA.

Since they are allready very aggressive I'm sure it would be easy to grind them down a little.... may increase the cost slightly but I'm hoping the original manufacturer will be willing to negotiate.

The only reason reprofiling costs so much is that they typically take OEM cams and add material to raise lift and duration.... where as these ones don't need material added.... the grinding job is extreemly simple and there are dozens of companys which will do high quality regrinds.

Who knows.... I could even get the "blanks" for a cheap price and have them ground to my own specifications.

Lots of options.... but the only way to go forward with this is if there is significant interest.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
boosted_to_zero

Post by boosted_to_zero »

Im interested mate. Is any tuning required or do u just bolt them on
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Generally speaking they should be a bolt on but to get the maximum power out of it you need adjustable cam gears and something to fine tune the fuel map ( such as a SAFC II )

There are lots of companies making adjustable cam gears but they do not have the timing ring for the cam sensor.

I'm working on a solution to use the Crank sensor to "simulate" the cam sensor......

Step 1 ) Install the adjustable cam gears
Step 2 ) remove connector from cam sensor
Step 3 ) tap into crankshaft sensor (ideally at ECU )
Step 4 ) tap into cam sensor (ideally at ECU )
Step 5 ) connect tap wires to digital simulator box
Step 6 ) dial in your cams via supplied information

I'm really serious about hiring on an Electronics Eng Tech to help me to start producing automotive electronics such as boost controllers, piggyback management systems, standalone management systems, ignition systems, digital translators (example... 3bar map to 2bar map )

I'm an Electronics Eng. Tech. but I don't have the time to develop or support my own products.... so I plan on hiring a part time tech to take my designs and make them into real life products.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

I'm definitely interested in the cams Chris!

In my setup I won't be using a cam sensor because the engine is going into a 1992 Sunbird. This car didn't need the cam sensor as I'm sure you already know.

Will valve reliefs need to be changed on the pistons in a T20SED for this cam upgrade?
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

Find out about the hydraulic grind and the possibility of purchasing blanks. No need (or use) in saying "I'm interested" in a cam that is too big for what I want.

Regrinds often take material away from the base circle to increase lift. Regrinds are relatively cheap but are restricted to similar lobe angles as the original cam. Fresh blanks give more freedom.

If the toothed wheel on the crank is a bolt on then you're not dedicated to using the 'Woo ecu. I know that the 92+ NA Sunbird crank and at least some 2.0 and 2.2 16V engines in the US use this arrangement. Cars using GM's 4T40E trans might even be able to use an ecu from a Cavalier / Sunfire and the associated tuning software.

The ignition system used on the USA version of GM's Ecotec engines senses compression to send a cam signal. If the signal is compatible then you could use a readily available system that has published specs and troubleshooting procedures rather than a custom system with only one source in the world.

I've got a 'Woo / Delco pcm sitting here on my desk. Haven't hooked it to my laptop yet to see if I can suck a calibration out of it. That's a winter project. But I'd love to get with more people to find out what other vehicles use this same pcm.

Love to talk more about some of your ideas. I've been tuning GM pcm's for almost 10 years now. Some things can be done without making new electronic boxes. BTW, the C20GET ecm has boost control built in. I don't know why people don't try to use it.