Alpine 12" Sub / 97 Leganza SX Installation?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Corbis

Alpine 12" Sub / 97 Leganza SX Installation?

Post by Corbis »

Hi
I have an opportunity to get an Alpine Type-S 12"
200W RMS Subwoofer in box for AUD $80.

Anyone used one of these before?

This is going to be my first stereo install, so could anyone give me any tips on how to run the wires from the head deck to the Amp in the boot?

Also, my head deck is the standard CD tuner that came with the leganza (AKD-4105) and according to the manual it has a 25W X 4 channel amp, and RCA preamp outputs. The only thing wrong with this is it currently outputs to 6 speakers!!?? (Front tweeters, front door 6's, and rear parcel shelf 6X9's)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Since this is your first installation, I very strongly suggest you go to the Car Audio Forum and do a lot of reading and ask questions.

I learned more there in 1 year than I had in the last 12 years I have been doing custome installations and speaker enclosures for people.

http://www.caraudioforum.com

There are a lot of very knowledgable people there that are willing to help and give advise. They even find the best products for the price.

Give them a try, all you have to gain is knowledge. :)

Good luck!

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Alpine Type-S isn't the greatest sub in the world but it's not the worst.

I have a friend with that exact woofer and it suits his needs just fine because he's just after a little bass to fill in the sound a little.

His setup is very similar to your own.

The tweeters and 6" woofers in the front can be run in parallel ( attach both positives together to the positive amplifier output and attach both negatives together to the negative amplifier output)

Because they don't play the same frequencies the amplifier will only really see one speaker..... this is hard to explain why but it has to do with the natural resonance of the speaker vs impedance. ( I'd explain it better but I don't have much time today for posting)

You should definitly run a separate amplifier for your subwoofer.... those kind of factory amps aren't really designed to run subwoofers.

The amp will require a fused connection from the battery and the gauge of wire required will depend on how many watts your subwoofer amplifier requires.

I would suggest you look for something in the same range of about 50Wrms per channel and then bridge it (most amps let you turn two channels into a single "bridged" channel that has a higher output )

For example.... if you bought a 50Wrms X 2 it will most likely bridge into a 100Wrms X 1 channel.

I'd look for a decent amplifier with a subwoofer crossover built in.

Subwoofers don't like playing "full range" so it's important to get a filter to block out the higher frequencies.

As far as wiring is concerned a 10 gauge power wire is good to 500W ( actually most are rated to about 45amps to 50amps depending on the manufacturer)

Some guys will say you need 8 or 4 gauge but they are full of crap... one thing I know very well is wiring specifications.

I personally run 1/0 gauge wire which is about 3/4" thick but I plan to run several thousand watts of power.

Just don't forget to install a fuse for the power wire.... the closer to the battery the better.

I usually make a plexiglass plate that fits right on top of the battery... this is where I mount my fuses.

Also don't forget that you need to use the exact same gauge of wire for the power input (battery wire) as you do for the power output (Ground wire)

I've seen many a newbie attach a 4 gauge wire to the +batt connection of the amplifier and a tiny little ground wire on the other side.

What flows in one has to flow through the other so your battery and ground wires should allways be the same gauge.

Most of the other wires will be fine with 14 gauge although you might want to consider 12 gauge speaker wire to your subwoofer.

I personally run 12 everywhere but my 6" midbass are rated for 100WRMS so that's a fair amount of power.

Last tip.... don't run your RCA preamp wires close to any other wiring in the car.... they will pick up noise from other car circuits ( such as the alternator, brake system and anything else that uses a switch )

I typically run them under the carpet away from anthing else but if it's too much of a hassle just find the side with the least amount of wires and run it down that side.

Hope this helps........Chris
Corbis

Mysterious connection?

Post by Corbis »

Today when i removed the trim panel on my stock AKD-4105 Daewoo Single DIN cd player, i found a wire going between the cd player to the other wires, however this wire was not mentioned in the CD player manual, with the rest of the connections.

The wire was solid black, and connected to a cylinder about an inch long. The connection appears to be the same type used to plug in headphones to a walkman, however after applying alot of froce to both ends, it wont budge.

Anyone know what this is?