random clutch

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

carpetbagger

random clutch

Post by carpetbagger »

hi guys/gals, the clutch on the leggy has become random,or at least the pedle operation has.
at times the clutch pedle feels like theres a brick under it but after two or three tries it reverts back to normal,other times the clutch operates perfectly then out of the blue the gears are difficult to select (up and down shifting),some times when selecting reverse it sounds like a bucket of bolts in a coffee grinder other times its perfect... :?
i have checked and adjusted the gear linkage alinement.
i have checked the clutch pedle (free play, amount of travel) all well within manufacture's specs.
could someone make any suggestions as to what i should be checking. i was suspecting the master cyclinder but with only 35000 on the car and never raced or rallied (well almost never)i wouldnt expect that so soon.if anyone knows what clutch problems leggys are prone to i would be most greatfull :D
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

if it's a hydrolic clutch you have a bad slave cyl or clutch master cyl, if it's a cable clutch you pressure plate made be bad, inturn you would have to change the clutch and plate.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

changed both master cyclinder and slave cyclinder but very little change.the car can be driven as long as the gears are "nursed into" gear
the solid peddle is still there randomally but it only seem to be on down shifting but i have noticed that if you "blip" the throttle when the clutch peddle feels hard you can feel the sudden relise of pressure and it operates as normal, i know this is double de-clutching and i'am ok about it but she who must be obeyed is'nt keen on that so if any one has thoughts please let me know
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

how old is your brakes fluid?
are you sure the clutch mechanism is OK?
checked the tranny oil level?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

thanks m..
the fluid was changed when the master and slave cyclinders were changed.(dot 5.1);
ithink the only answer it to strip the clutch out, i am suspecting either the relise bearing sticking on the shaft or a bent finger on the clutch plate, either way it has to come out.... i was prob being lazy not wanting to strip it down. :roll: any recomenditions as to which is the best clutch kit to get?
carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

well! stripped out the clutch :roll: the problem fell into my lap, one of the springs have come out of the clutch plate, new clutch kit problem cured, can get all gears soooo smooth.. have to find new way to exercise my left thigh muscle :D
thanks to those that answered