Leganza Oil problem

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

seabreeze

Leganza Oil problem

Post by seabreeze »

Just bought 2000 Leganza with 38,000 Mi on it, at first it had a big oil leak through the valve cover so I replaced the gasket and that solved the oil leak. Now the oil light is staying on, and when I check the oil with the dipstick its full. The engine is also making a louder noise like its knocking. Any idea what the problem is?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

is the knocking comming from the bottom of the engine?
does the oil light go off when you rev the engine?
does it knock really loud during the first few seconds after startup?

if the answer is yes for all three questions then you got bad crank bearings... can't see how can this happen at very low milage like you discribed but no one knows what kind of service did hte previous owner did to the car and how he used it.

it can also be a faulty oil pump that needs replacment but again too early at 38k miles, maybe the oil pressure sending unit is acting up... at all depends on where and how hard does it make a noise, if you can get a sound cilp it will be great.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
seabreeze

Post by seabreeze »

hi,

just ran outside to test. As for the knocking noise its hard to tell because there are 2 noises one from the valve cover and the second sounds like it could be coming from behind the valve cover mid engine. As far as the oil light going off....I reved passed 3 on neutral and it flickered once or twice for less than a second but after that it stopped flickering and just stayed on. I think it knocks louder after. This is great the car never made that noise before I replaced the gasket the oil light never even came on when it was LEAKING oil. My luck I guess? Maybe when I was washing the oil out of the engine the water did something? Well in either case is this going to cost a lot? & Can the car be used without fixing this problem without damaging anything else?. I looked at the car records the previous owner had and it seems the o2 sensor,alternator sparkplugs and wires were all replaced..didnt think an alternator would go so quick.
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

From what i'm understanding you put water in the engine? or were you washing the outside of the engine?
a woo that is a work in progress
goldiegill

Post by goldiegill »

May be the filter placed just before the pump placed inside the chamber needs a cleaning. This can be checked by opening the chamber.
Goldie
seabreeze

Post by seabreeze »

aneab: I was washing the engine bay where oil dripped down

even with the filter problem what would explain the loud clickin noise?
seabreeze

Post by seabreeze »

I was told to try to replace the oil preasure switch and change the oil? Where is the oil pressure switch located?
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

seabreeze wrote:aneab: I was washing the engine bay where oil dripped down
Sorry i misunderstood.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the sending unit is at the back side of the area you put the oil filter on.

did you refill the engine oil to MAX mark after replacing the gasket??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
seabreeze

Post by seabreeze »

No I did not, but the dip stick said it was full so there was no need to add more than a quart. Will I need to jack the car up to get to the oil switch? Btw Do you know what type of oil is reccomended for these engines? 5w20?
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

If i remember correctly my Nubira owners manual suggested 10W30... I'll check in the morning
goldiegill

Post by goldiegill »

There is an oil pump inside the chamber (Below the engine) which supplies oil to the places in the engine where it is required. This oil pump is protected by a small filter placed just before the pipe from where this pump sucks the oil. When this filter is clogged, the pump cannont suck and supply oil to the engine properly. This results in oil light to glow and more clicking sound from the engine due to friction.

To clean the filter, just drain out the oil, open the chamber from below the engine, take out the filter, burn the carbon deposits on the filter, and fix everything again. Your car will be fine.
Goldie
seabreeze

Post by seabreeze »

I wish there was a haynes manual for this car, by chamber you dont mean the oil pan right? Is it near the oil pan or oil filter? Also will I need to purchase any new gaskets for this job? If so let me know which ones so I can try to get it shipped by the weekend
goldiegill

Post by goldiegill »

Ya right. It is the oil pan below the engine. You need to open that pan which is bolted via many bolts. The filter can be taken out easily keeping the pump at its place. You dont need to disturb the pump. I don't think you require a gasket for the purpose. You can use a rubber seal instead which comes in the tube and solidifies to rubber once it is applied in place of gaskets. I dont know what they it in your country.
Goldie
carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

try taking the valve cover off turn the engin by hand and see if oil comes up into the cams,sounds like the oil is not getting to the cams the gallery's could be blocked, try draining the oil then, flushing the system, new oil filter, fresh oil.