can i put fully synthetic engine oil in gearbox

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ntwdavid

can i put fully synthetic engine oil in gearbox

Post by ntwdavid »

Hi Guys
I have a year 2000 lanos 1.6 sx manual 5 door car can i put fully synthetic engine oil in gearbox and how may liters it consume?

Thanx
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

not a good idea!

use gm synchromesh! they have a syntec ver for the vetts. that or amsoil produces one, i have no idea where you are or where the hell sells them they are mainly caried by small shops or you order it online. or the gm one from your local gm dealer.

oh amsoil rates it as 5w-30 actualy it says 5w-30 on the bottle
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i am useing synthetic dextron 3 transmission fluid (auto tranny). if you can find the exact fluid in synthetic then it shouldnt hurt any thing.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

Yeah, but you can't really flush the fluid from a manual tranny and put synthetic in? How would that be accomplished?
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if its a synthethic/non-syn. blend it wont hurt any thing

ntwdavid

Post by ntwdavid »

Nemasys wrote:Yeah, but you can't really flush the fluid from a manual tranny and put synthetic in? How would that be accomplished?
last time the mechanic drain my gearbox oil and put in normal cheap oil. my car immidiately feel better in term of gear shifting ,faster pick up, lesser vibration and more quiet. So i 'm thinking of putting better oil(synthetic) in the gear box next time.

Guys should i try or not? will it hurt my engine?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i say go for it, like i said i have synthetic in my auto, i didnt do full system flush so its a syn and non-syn blend, it feels nicer to me

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Nemasys wrote:Yeah, but you can't really flush the fluid from a manual tranny and put synthetic in? How would that be accomplished?
if the tranny fluid is hot enough... you can simply remove the tranny pan and let the fluid drain out, i did that to mine and remeber to get a new pan gasket for this job.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ntwdavid wrote:last time the mechanic drain my gearbox oil and put in normal cheap oil. my car immidiately feel better in term of gear shifting ,faster pick up, lesser vibration and more quiet. So i 'm thinking of putting better oil(synthetic) in the gear box next time.

normal cheap oil as in engine oil or tranny oil??

i am not a fan of messing with tranny fluids so stick with what the manufacturer recommends. i once put PWS fluid in the tranny and the guys here gave me hell for doing that so i draned it after two days of use... can consider that as tranny fluid flush if i may but out of spec fluid will cause damage to your tranny - even if it feels good at first - as it is not designed to withstand such gear pressure in the tranny.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
ntwdavid

Post by ntwdavid »

MMamdouh wrote:
ntwdavid wrote:last time the mechanic drain my gearbox oil and put in normal cheap oil. my car immidiately feel better in term of gear shifting ,faster pick up, lesser vibration and more quiet. So i 'm thinking of putting better oil(synthetic) in the gear box next time.

normal cheap oil as in engine oil or tranny oil??

i am not a fan of messing with tranny fluids so stick with what the manufacturer recommends. i once put PWS fluid in the tranny and the guys here gave me hell for doing that so i draned it after two days of use... can consider that as tranny fluid flush if i may but out of spec fluid will cause damage to your tranny - even if it feels good at first - as it is not designed to withstand such gear pressure in the tranny.

MMamdouh

i also not sure what oil he put but the tranny is smooth and quiet till now ,
thank i think i stick to that kind of oil next time. ;)