daewoo made bad car, really really

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

greatiliad

daewoo made bad car, really really

Post by greatiliad »

The only thing I can say is :"IT IS REALLY A BAD CAR"
the god should curse daewoo.
I got it september last year , 2000 year daewoo lanos, only 38K mile at that time.Now, it only 50 k mile on the odometer
I just assume a car will not have big problem before 60k mile. But this one only gave me endless trouble.

only after 1 month later, the brake switch gone, and rear view mirror dropped down.
then 3 month later, the coolant house explode, all coolant gone, drop me on the road side.
then 3 month later, the igination coil failed, a new coil will cost more than 200$, a reguler one for a reguler GM car is only 30$
then 3 month later, the timint belt pulley failed, which ruine all the engine and ruine my summer break. I spent all the summer break to do the research and repair it by myself, because I can not affort to have it repaired and no where to go.
NOW, I guess, IT IS the transmission , looks like Torque converter failed, I just am thingking about giving up

The car looks like sticked by glue, everythings are sooooo weak
because the car, I almost become a mechanic, every week I have to spent a day to do some job on the car.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The title of your post should be something more along the lines of " I bought a lemon ".... just because you have all these problems it doesn't mean that Daewoo made bad cars.... it was probably made on a friday or something.

All manufacturers have "lemons" .... as an example... my neighbor had a Chevrolet Cavalier.... it died on him all the time.... the car would simply shut off while driving and then it wouldn't start.

So he'd get the car towed to the dealership and when they went to start it the car was fine.

He took it to the dealership for repairs around 40 times in the first year but yet they could not find the problem.

Finally after a year and a half of fighting with GM to get the car fixed or give him a new one they found the problem.... some of the pins going into the connector that attaches to the ECU were loose.

Some idiot on the assembly line must not have paid attension and pushed the pins in far enough.

Needless to say... that's one of a dozen stories I've heard from people about their "lemons"

I've never had one.... and I drove a Lanos for two years before buying my Optra/Lacetti.... no problems at all.

So it's just bad luck..... you shouldn't blame Daewoo.

Lets look at the items you've had fail....

Brake switch.... most likely not manufactured by Daewoo.... easily damaged if someone accidentally kicked it
Rear View mirror.... the glue is not made by Daewoo.... but they probably didn't clean the surfaces correctly at the factory during assembly
Coolant hose.... definitly not made by Daewoo..... most likely manufactured by a korean hose manufacturer
Ignition coil.... that is a Daewoo product.... this is one item that fails for many people
Timing belt pulley.... I think it's made by Opel.... or at least the one I have is..... given you are supposed to change parts on oth Mileage and time.... this is your fault for not performing the maintenence as required by the manufacturer.
Transmission.... again... not manufactured by Daewoo.... these auto transmissions can be found in a number of GM vehicles.... did you do the required maintinence to the transmission along the way?? (change fluids, change filter )

So.... other than the ignition coil there really isn't anything made by Daewoo that failed.

With regards to the maintenence..... everyone allways thinks of mileage only.... time is just as important..... belts get old and crack even if useage is low.

So what I'm saying is that a 2000 Lanos with 20,000 miles could have the timing belt snap.... and it wouldn't be the fault of the manufacturer since the belt should have been changed out prior based upon time.... not just mileage.

A good example is my friend who bought a car from an old lady.... it only had 9000 original kilometers on the engine but it was 10 years old... the timing belt broke after just a week of use and the car was junk after that..... he complained that it shouldn't have happened but he quickly realized his mistake after the mechanic showed him the belt.... there were thousands of deep cracks in the rubber.... it was so brittle that he was able to bend it back and fourth and break pieces off.

So perhaps I'm being a little tough on you but in many cases it's the drivers neglect that causes the damage through incorrect use or lack of maintenence.

If the Lanos was a bad car there wouldn't be Polish Lanos Taxi's driving around with 500,000+ kilometers on them.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

was going to reply but chris said it all.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
greatiliad

Post by greatiliad »

I am in bad mood.
It is my first car.
more and more clues point to the torque converter, which I almost can not fix it in my back yard.
I also hear the click comes from engine, sound like it is from the fuel injector, but I am not sure.
I try my best to save it, but I guess it is the time to say good bye and give up.

maybe a SOHC engine and manual transmission will be a better choice for Daewoo.
nitromike

Post by nitromike »

i have a daewoo with 51k on it, only one major thing happened to it which was the thermostat enclosure to pop and overheat the engine, bought a new part within the same day was all good.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the injectors will make a clicking noise, thats totaly normal. my girlfriends grand am has a brand new engine in it and the injectors click. you can prolly find a torque converter cheap and if you have a cherry piicker or chain fall you can do the new T/C your self of you take your time and put every thing back where it goes. its just the same as if you needed a new clutch, if you can do a clutch you can do a T/C

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

i have a DAEWOO Nubira 98
since brand new 126,xxx mile on him
it had broke some things but minor ones
and yes one time it broke the timing belt but u know what ?
it was my fault the car already had 120k miles and i didnt change it for second time so guess what it was
more expensive than getting all the things in time

is auto tranny and the gears change smoothly i love them the revs don't drop as many auto tranny cars do
now it hasd a 2002 leggy engine with 76xxx (70k when i bought it) and damm love it more, and this time i wont make same mistakes
the engine was all dirty caused by bad treatment
but now is all clean changing oil @ its time
it runs 15.8 @ 85mph in the 1/4 mile
and after O2 sensor change it still runs the same time
finally im going to turbo it and im sure it will give good results

and u know what makes me so damm happy ?
i bought from my mom for $3,000
after all i spended on him i still dont get to $6,000
and its faster and i will look better than my friends 95 Civic that cost him $6,000
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

in conlusion

they are not bad cars ...
greatiliad

Post by greatiliad »

Then, my car is haunted, or it doesn't want to serve me.
It is challanging my patient, finance and ability, again and again.
even my friends say "do you fix your car" instead of "hello".
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

maybe is your car
a friend of mine has a NISSAN 91-94 Sentra SE-R
and he had change the tranny so many times because of fifth gear and problems
he also broke the engine once

other friends that have the same car doesnt have any problems with them

sh!t happens
greatiliad

Post by greatiliad »

base on my research,
looks like the previous owner did big job on the engine, even transmission
-after market head gasket(timing failed before)
-bad timing belt tensioner(did not have 42mm wrench and try to put belt back, the reason of timing failure again, belt does not have right tension, smash the pulley into pieces )
-a broken transmission filter(something hit the transmission, but he just change the oil pan, maybe the reason of TC failure)

he did not do a good job, just put everything back and tried to sell it, get money back as soon as possible.
the car has good looking outside, but sh!t inside. You can never find these until it goes wrong.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

Yeah i know that feeling. but your getting it fixed to be like new which is good.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
greatiliad

Post by greatiliad »

I read the manual
the job to pull the transmission off, is not a diy job, which can be done in the back yard.
The biggest problem is to jack the car and support the transmission.
I have to jack the car very high, and work under it for a long time.
I also need some tool to support the transmission when I loose the bolt.

these job is kind of dangerous for diy, because if the jacks are not firm ans stable enough, or even the ground are not hard enough, the car may fall down.
I know 3 people were killed by their car when they worked under the car.
I am a full time student now, I also do not have enough time until winter break.

I will send this car to a shop to diagonise, if they also say TC, I believe it is the time to say good by.
lanowoo wrote:Yeah i know that feeling. but your getting it fixed to be like new which is good.
lanowoo
Expert

Don't give up on da woo!

Post by lanowoo »

Now where are you located?? i myself has put in numerous trannys and TC they are easy but challenging than changing head gaskets and timming belts. Do you have a spare car to drive? jsut make the daewoo the sitting car in the back yard and take some time and save up enuf $$ for a shop to do it, i work full time and are a 20 hour a week student (full time). I know you are fustrated with it , but think if that next car you get may have something wrong with it to, maybe worse, we have most of the kinks of these cars figured out. fixing the T/c is way easier than buying another car!!.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you could pull the engine to get the T/C, and that i know isnt that hard, its a full day to pull it but you CAN do it if you have a cherry picker or chain fall. if you dont you can rent one fairly cheap. since its a common tranny you can get a T/C easy at the junk yard or prolly new at autozone. dont give up hope just yet

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!