Installing car alarm / remote locking

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

norbie
Expert

Installing car alarm / remote locking

Post by norbie »

Thinking about getting a cheap car alarm off ebay, and I notice quite a few of them have Remote Door Locking as a feature, providing that you already have central locking.

I have central locking in my Lanos, but only by the key so having on a keyfob like this would be cool.

How easy is it to wire in this part?

Example model:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LATEST-KEYLESS-EN ... dZViewItem
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
43som

Post by 43som »

first off
the car may have central locking, worked off the key or closing the switch on the drivers door, however there won;t be any motor in that door.
you will have to install one, this can be little bit tricky, but if your a good engineer on making things fit, all good!
then run new wires through to the inside of the cabin, if there is no spare wires in the loom, which i doubt there is(never was in mine), you will have to remove the plug/gromet and drill new hole through the plastic plug, bit fiddly to do, or drill 2 new hole elsewhere int he door...remember to grommet them.

the wiring of the alarm...
you can easily wire up the alarm, and then should be able to wire up to the motor that has been fitted to the drivers door, when this is actioned, this will make the rest of the locks follow suit.
however, there will be ignition wires, and power wires to deal with, some may auto lock and some may not depends on the alrm setting.
if you wish to go further. adding the immob, alarm, door boot bonnet switches and so on...it is a big job for someone who does no know what they are doing.
my first, took me 7 hours. now it takes me around an hour and half to fit.
but get the alarm and everything fitted first, then you can still be able to start the car if anything goes wrong, with alot of cheep ebay item,s...can happen. and remember, no fitting warranty or near no product warranty. unless your lucky!
all wires are availible under the steering column, and only a couple neded to be run for boot, bonnet, and passenger door to drivers door.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Thanks it definetely sounds too much for me, and I can't afford for a professional to do it.

I may just get a cheap alarm that runs off of the interior light switch, is there somewhere in the car I get access that line rather than in the roof?
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
43som

Post by 43som »

unscrew your drivers door light switch...little switch that the door hits when it closes.
there will be a wire there. this is negative switch. when door opens, the wire becomes earth. however, the cicuit of the left and the right are seporate, so i ran a wire from left to right to make them both work. no drama's there. then if you want added protection, got from the boot too.

i have not seen such alarms that run off the hood light. they sound prety cheep, but so long as they work.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

I installed central locking a few weeks ago, so if you need any advice, just pm me or post it up, id be glad to help. :)
Two rights do not make a wrong.
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

I'm glad I saw this post as I was thinking of buying a keyless entry system but didn't realise the drivers door has no motor. I'd be a bit upset to find it only opens the passenger door :( Is there any specific motor that will fit the Lanos or will a passenger side motor from a breakers fit the drivers side?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if you get the rear drivers side motor from a lanos sedan it will work

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Thanks to Daewoomofo I have been installing an alarm I got for free from work :)
For reference, the wiring diagram and instructions are here - http://www.microscanalarms.co.uk/pages/ ... es2002.pdf

I have wired up the power to the alarm, ground and have just worked out how to do the indicators (guessed which ones were correct behind the hazard switch in the dash).
I think I've figured out the trigger for the alarm which is the door switch, but it looks like I will need to split the wire 3 ways, one for both doors, and one for a bonnet switch if I install one.
What about the boot? If someone opens the boot which is connected to the same circuit will the alarm sound or do I need a wire there as well. Can't see the switch though :(

What details do you have on the door motor I need?

Thankyou :)
www.norbie.co.uk
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

All fitted now, so ignore the above post.

I just need info on the door motor for remote central locking..
The Alarm Manual wrote:Blue wire 12v Negative on Arm (1 Second Pulse). Connect to Lock circuit of Vehicle.
Green wire 12v Negative on Disarm (1 Second Pulse). Connect to Unlock circuit of Vehicle
www.norbie.co.uk
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Do I need a 2 wire motor like this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CENTRAL-LOCKING-M ... dZViewItem

Also does anyone have a photo of the best place to fit a bonnet switch?
www.norbie.co.uk
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

thats where mine is, if yours is like mine that would be a good place

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Just as an update I got the central locking fitted today and it all works keyless with the alarm :)

All you need is a central locking kit. You need to buy the kit as you don't just need a motor, you need a central locking interface box that connects to your alarm. You can't wire the motor straight to the alarm (unless it has 5 wires to do so).

That's the 5 wire motor installed in the drivers side door. I just needed to put that in the door like so, connect to the central locking interface box, then connect that to the alarm's wires which trigger the lock/unlock and of course power and ground for the central locking box.
www.norbie.co.uk
titalatas

Post by titalatas »

Hi,
I have a lanos with central loocking, but i want keyless. In ebay bought http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=012 one with instructions but they are universal (bad ebayer). I dont know how setup the wires because i dont have an instrucciones for lanos.
Anyone help?.
Sorry for my poor English. I´m Spaniard. Thanks a lots.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Hello,

You have bought what you need.

On the big batch of wires there will be a power wire +12V that you will need to connect to your battery, and wire to ground it. You can put this on the battery or any good grounding place you see.

You only need to install one motor, which is in the main drivers door (see my picture above!).

Then connect the motor you have installed to the main batch of wires.

That's it!
www.norbie.co.uk
titalatas

Post by titalatas »

Ok, thanks.
I bought this, only because has motor for the door driver. My big, big problem is the module of central locking, what wire cut I it?.