Leganza continues overheating

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jasongw

Leganza continues overheating

Post by jasongw »

Hey, just found this and thought I'd ask if anyone here knows what my problem is. I have a 2000 Leganza, which had 31,000 miles on it when I bought it back in 2003. I got the car before summer of 2003 and during hte summer it began to get hot on a regular basis. I replaced the thermostat--no difference (and what's with the BS $94 thermostat anyway? Talk about crap design!). I replaced all the coolant and flushed the system--no difference.

In 2004 toward the end of summer I let someone borrow the car and it overheated on them--and blew the head gasket. So I replaced the head gasket, had the head rebuilt--surfaced, new valves, seats, the whole ball of wax--and put it back together, including a new timing belt and tensioners. That made no difference either, but since I wasn't driving it far for the summer of 2005 it didn't make much difference since I would rarely go far enough to get it warm.

At this point, I have no clue what else to change. I'd have thought water pump, but it's not losing an ounce of water nor exhibiting the typical water pump signs. I'm stumped at this stage, and irritated as hell. Of course, when I did the head I was also disappointed to learn that the Daewoo is all GM mechanically (I hate American cars, 100% junk as far as I'm concerned). I've got 138,000 miles on it as of yesterday.

At a mechanic shop I was told not that long ago that they shipped these cars with too small of a radiator? Sounded bogus to me, but is there any truth to it? It does seem to be a *damn* thin radiator.

Jason
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the radiator might be clogged, or you could have an air pocket in the cooling system

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

I'm betting either something is clogged, or you've got that air pocket like mofo said...

When you did the flush, did all the fluid/water come out in a nice stream or was it somewhat impeaded?? Make sure you check for air bubbles in the system again, if you haven't already done that... I'd suggest triple checking it as well... that can really heat up a motor...

As for them being shipped with "Two small of a radiator." really that is pretty bogus... The size isn't the issue here... So i don't know what the guy was talking about... My car runs really on the cool side...
a woo that is a work in progress
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

dont forget the FAN!! most people forget the electric fan a good way to test it is to turn on the A/C and the fan should follow shortly after
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Slammed wrote:dont forget the FAN!! most people forget the electric fan a good way to test it is to turn on the A/C and the fan should follow shortly after

Well it depends, One fan is always on with the ac and at idle, the other fan will trip after the car gets to a certain temp... At least thats my experiance with the radiator fans. SO one fan could be working while the other not be working.
a woo that is a work in progress
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

then you couold start the A/C and let the engine get up to normal operating temp, if it dont come on then you know you have problem with the fans

asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Ok this isn't a complete fix.....but it is a simple short term one. Drain some of the radiator fluid, then fill it with Redline water wetter and Deionized water (if you can get it) or distilled. The water wetter should drop it a bit and the DI water wont reust out or clog the system. Also you can press in one of the tubes by the radiator tank. Try using it to apply pressure to maybe free the pump. At the worst you have something wrong with the water pump. With that many miles have you changed it or had it inspected. And the radiator crap.....I have never had a problem with my "small radiator" in my leganza
Stay in control with Hankook's weather...or not technology.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if you need DI water, look and see if there are any plateing shops (as in chrome plateing) we use DI water to keep every thing clean. but if you cant find one or dont feel like looking, the distilled water should work too

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

on my car both fans work all the time, they switch to high speed if the engine needs cooling while the A/C is on... if only one radiator fan kicked in at any time then you have a problem.

check your temp sensor... if it gives missleading signal to the ECU then the fans might kick in too late.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
wallstreetguy938

Engine overheating

Post by wallstreetguy938 »

One of the items that were not mentioned that might cause overheating is the surge tank cap. A defective cap may not hold enough pressure so the coolant reaches boiling point sooner. You can test your cap if you have the proper adapter or you can buy another surge cap. They sell it at Kragens for $24.99.

Another item to check is your belt because if one or more of the teeth is missing or damaged, it might cause slipping on the water pump. Other items you can check is if the coolant has the right 50/50 mixture. If you have checked everything that people have mentioned and it is still overheating, I would suggest doing a cylinder leakage test to see if you have a cracked engine block.

Good luck and I hope you find the problem.