tdc or not?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gazzauk

tdc or not?

Post by gazzauk »

Hi,
After changing head gasket on a 1.6 dohc nuberia on a 99 plate ..i cant get my crankshaft pully off to see the timing marks but i did set the pistons to tdc and the timing marks on the camshafts to the correct place but after doing this i get no compression on cyl 2.. but on every other cyl ..so my question is should the pistions be set to tdc or a few degress off?..

Cheers Gary
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

always TDC when you set timing. as for the cams you would have to check the repair manual to see where the marks should line up
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
gazzauk

Post by gazzauk »

Brian5475E wrote:as for the cams you would have to check the repair manual to see where the marks should line up
Anybody help on this one...i have it so both marks on the cams are pointing towards each other in the middle is this right?

Cheers
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

That's correct. Look at the "how-to" section http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2746 .
I'm not that sure that the crankshaft gear timing mark is correctly aligned only by setting piston at TDC. Anybody know? Try again to remove crankshaft pulley to set mark for sure.

My 0.02ct

Daniel
gazzauk

Post by gazzauk »

I have tried i cant get the bolt off...i have had it in gear and somebody on the brake with my foot trying to push the ratchet around with my foot and it wont move :( unless anybody else has an idea of how to get it off?

Cheers
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

You are going to have to take that pulley off. Get an impact wrench. Or, get a breaker bar and wedge it somewhere sturdy then bump the starter.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

first off how did you manage to remove the timing belt with the crank pully on??

try my way for removing the bolt:

1- get the correct socket size
2- get 90 deg. bet wrench that is long enough to collide with the suspension's control arm
3- install the socket and wrench and make the wrenche's arm as close as possible to the control arm.
4- remove coil pack socket
5- clear the area arround the fron right wheel.
6- crank the engine for a split second - a loud knock will be heared during the process... this is OK, make sure the car is in neutral position.
7- remove bolt then pully.

basicly we are using the starter motors power to remove the bolt off... it is kinda dangerous but works like magic, i hold no resposbilty for damages and/or injuries consequent to using this method.

P.S: when the crank notch is alighned; the #1 cyl. is at TDC indeed, look elswere leaking on #2 cyl. like a problem in the gasket's installation or a stuck valve... i don't think this is related to crank marking at all.

MMamdouh

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
gazza_uk

Post by gazza_uk »

Just thought i better say that worked like a dream..came off no problems Also i think either the head was warped or a valve was bent either way i just got another head from the scrappy and it worked fine I did have a few other probs but im gussing your saw my other posts..lol

As for taking the cam belt off i didnt i just left it on ..but now i got the pully off i did change the cam belt

Cheers

Gary