TD05 (16G)

IHI:
VF-39

Precision:
SC50
SC32

Garrett:
GT28

I am leaning towards one of the mitsu turbos....
M I N I O N

Post by M I N I O N »

You will probably be more happy with the T28 as it is reasonably sized and you wont need a custom flange cut, you can buy a T25/t28 flange (turbine inlet and outlet) off the shelf for next to nothing.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

I agree
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The T28 was a standard upgrade for those with the C20GET (2.0L 8V turbo) as the stock T25 is too small once you exceed 10-12psi ( still works but it creates lots of heat due to the inefficency of the compressor )

I'm really not that familiar with anything other than a T series turbo ( T25/T28/T3/T4 ) so I don't know how the others stack up against the T28

For the 1.6L.... the T28 would be plenty large enough.... hell you could probably get 20 psi on a 2.0L without much problem.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

and which are the options for a 2.2L engine like mine ?
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
aveosam
Junior

Post by aveosam »

8) i am going with the t28 turbo...its a good size plus i can find a d15/16 turbo header with t3 flange and wastegate flange for 130 shipped
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Nubira2.2 wrote:and which are the options for a 2.2L engine like mine ?
Something like a T3 or a T3/T4 turbo would be awesome!

--Tim
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

hey guys what do you guys think about a turbo from a Skyline Type S 2500?

Cuz my gf uncle has one he's going to sell, but I'm not sure if I will get it yet.

The turbo is ball bearing, oil and water cooled and that's all that I know.

Anyone knows what type of turbo is it.
T18SED Engine.

M I N I O N

Post by M I N I O N »

rr__kroz123 wrote:hey guys what do you guys think about a turbo from a Skyline Type S 2500?

Cuz my gf uncle has one he's going to sell, but I'm not sure if I will get it yet.

The turbo is ball bearing, oil and water cooled and that's all that I know.

Anyone knows what type of turbo is it.
The turbo you're talking about is most likely a 45v3. The specs of this turbo are very close to a T3 super 60. They were based off of garrett designs but actually made by Nissan. One of the cool things about this turbo is that it uses a composite (yes, plastic) compressor wheel and a ceramic turbine shaft and wheel. These are the lightest materials available and combined with the cermaic ball bearing center section, they boost increadibly fast. I have used these turbos on a lot of custom turbo set-ups I have done for people and they always spin pretty damn fast at idle.
One of the problems that you are going to run into is that the materials used for the turbine wheel limits its boost potential. With the 45v1-4 turbos, you can only hit a maximum of around 15psi. There are four different variations of that turbo (hense 1-4) and each has it's own slight differences. The 45v3 is pretty much the same thing as a 45v2, just it has the composite compressor wheel. The 45v1 has a slightly smaller compressor, the 45v4 has a slightly larger turbine housing. Some people have used different combinations of components to make some pretty wicked turbos. Three of those turbos come on the Rb25det motors, differing from R32-R33 models, The other, and the largest, comes off of the VG30det (the older single turbo model.)
You can also find a Nissan ball bearing turbo which is slightly smaller called a 16v which comes on the RB20det skylines. The 1990 type-m has the largest of the 16v turbos but there aren't any special markings on the turbo to identify it. These turbos all spool safely to 12psi, but nothing higher.
If you are going to use on of these turbos in a custom set-up, take the turbine housing off and make sure there are no cracks inside of the turbine housing where it mates against the heat shield. Use an oil restrictor, but if there are cracks (a reasonable amount is stil usable) start off with a smaller restrictor and move to a larger one later after you regain the carbon seals against the heat shield. If you never have to clock the turbine side, don't even worry about any of that, just don't take it apart.
These turbos are very sensative though with the materials they are made of. Don't over-boost them or run them too high too long because you WILL snap the turbine shaft and explode the turbine shaft all down into your exhaust system.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

My personal favorite is the "disco potato" GT28RS..... right now I have a few T25's kicking around and a nice T3/T4.... but eventually I will pick up a modified GT28RS ( you can pick them up with a T3 flange.... they just swap out the turbine housing )
aveosam wrote:8) i am going with the t28 turbo...its a good size plus i can find a d15/16 turbo header with t3 flange and wastegate flange for 130 shipped
Just so you know.... at T28 won't fit on a T3 flange........ the flange for the T25 and T28 is smaller than the flange used on the T3 and T4.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos