Opel C20XE

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewhorider
Junior

Opel C20XE

Post by daewhorider »

I want to do an engine swap with this engine. I live in the states and would like to know where to get one, help really appreciated i really want this upgrade.
Hi, I'm Andrei and I approve of this message.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2667367
Me car
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I'm interested to find this out as well.
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Well you better beleive I m in too LOL

but I can tell you guys it aint cheap I have been looking for a year now for an engine importer to get one but no luck
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

UK people. but better get and nubi/leggy engine and saw some parts, becasue the shipping cost will be hight.
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

It would be far cheaper to use a Nubira block and install C20XE components than to have an entire engine sent over here.

Also keep in mind that the C20XE can be found to the south of the USA..... Opels were sold throughout South America.... hell.... Efrain managed to pick up a C20XE in the Dominican Republic which is pretty close to mainland USA.

I don't know how many C20XE's there are in the Dominican Republic but I'm sure that Efrain could help guys out if there are any available.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

we are ussing the pistons and ros of the c20xe, waht else can be use? that can made a diference between engines?
ImageImage
daewhorider
Junior

Post by daewhorider »

I found a website wherei can get that engine for 800$ and no if there were a lot of em id share but i dont think there are. It seems theres only one. Sorry i really want this engine, ne one know any other drop in engines? like for the nubria could i mount it on a lanos without problems?
Hi, I'm Andrei and I approve of this message.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2667367
Me car
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

I noticed a new thread that says the opel astra will be rebadged and come to the us as a saturn

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 7013#67013
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

daewhorider wrote:I found a website wherei can get that engine for 800$ and no if there were a lot of em id share but i dont think there are. It seems theres only one. Sorry i really want this engine, ne one know any other drop in engines? like for the nubria could i mount it on a lanos without problems?
yes, you could use the nubi engine in a lanos. but you will have to decide of you want power stearing or A/C. because the motor mounts only let you have one. other than that is a direct drop in (for the most part)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

are you sure about it I think that you can keep both. jusy have to put a nubi engine mount point. the one near to the intake.
ImageImage
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

its easy to do it if you loose the p/s or the a/c (so ive heard), im not sure about useing the nubi engine mount, if its possable that would be better, id like to find out

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

we are getting all the pices to moutn el junito nubira engine in his lanos, we gonne use the leganza mount. nubira tranny and clutch. we need to take the time to start.
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yet again I will repeat these words....... For the Lanos the best engine swap is the C20GET ( 2.0L 8V factory turbo )

The front engine mount for the Lanos and this engine are the same.

I have a completely stock one in my Lemans aka Astra MKII aka LANOS

Tom and I were working on it yesterday... it's making 10psi of boost and I have a very hard time getting traction in the first two gears.

Honestly.... I think I could start out in 3rd gear and make it off the line faster.... I need some super sticky tires and a limited slip differencial (or ATB like Quaife)

So again..... C20GET is found in any 87 to 91 Sunbird GT Turbo/Pontiac Grand Am SE turbo ..... parts are easy to come by and they are very easy to upgrade.

ECU is flashable (so you can write new programs for it ) it's OBD 1 so the system is easy to "hack" and there aren't a billion sensors to contend with during wiring.

The factory engine made 165hp and 175lbft (at the crankshaft) from the factory completely stock..... here is what I got on the dyno

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6627

This was a very quick "baseline" run just to see what kind of power and fuel ratio the stock engine had.

Keep in mind that we now have realized that the tires were slipping from 4000RPM on so I actually made more power than the graph is showing.

If I were to guess.... my max power is probably 5% to 10% higher than the dyno graph.

I noticed it when I looked at the gear ratio (speed vs RPM ) and right around 4000RPM it takes a sudden jump up and becomes unstable.... usually this is a dead straight line because the ratio of speed vs RPM is allways constant unless your tires are slipping or the clutch is slipping.

I know the clutch is good.... but we had to shut down one of the runs because the car started to slide around on the rollers (due to wheel spin )

Another thing to keep in mind..... this engine has no intercooler and typically only runs 8psi of boost.

With the intercooler (mine will be added very soon ) you can crank the boost up into the 12psi range and make way more power.

Tom was running roughly 12psi and making 240whp at the wheels (with a few engine and turbo modifications)

I picked up a C20GET powered Sunbird for $1000 CDN with roughly 140,000 miles on it..... with a decent rebuild that engine could push 400WHP!
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

My point is..... why waist money on a C20XE from another country when the more powerfull GM factory turbocharged C20GET can be found locally.

When you try to get parts for a C20XE it will have to be from out of the country.... where as you can get C20GET parts at most autoparts stores.

There are even performance shops that sell parts for the C20GET...... yes.... you could take these parts and put them into a newer engine but the problem is 8V vs 16V clearance..... the 8:1 forged Mahle pistons that come in the C20GET would have to have valve reliefs machined into them so that you cleared the 16V valves.

Any way you cut it....... the C20GET rules..... nearly unbreakable..... old but good.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

but chris a lot of the guys have these cars as Daily drivers and I think the law in the us(at least in Ca and Az) is that the engine has to be from the same year or newer car so that it will pass a smog check to get it registered. but if it is just for a fun track car, go with the c20get all the way!
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE