engine block leaking coolant

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

carpetbagger

engine block leaking coolant

Post by carpetbagger »

has anybody had this problem before. coolant leaking from core plug (water jacket cap),when i first noticed the leak i assumed it was the thermo housing but on closer inspection it appears to be the core plug below and to the right right behind the exhaust manifold (would'nt you know it had to be to one hard to get at ) .any way ,any tips on removing and replacing it and what size is it
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

not sure about the sizing and all but sometimes those things leak... you need to get a set of 4 and replace them.

they are push-fit type things and they can be hard to remove so watchout.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
katchupoy

Post by katchupoy »

Hello Carpetbagger.

My first post here. We are in the same situation. From what Ive researched that this might also be a sign of water pump failure in which case we have to watch out. As we speak, my car is in the shop right now, and being diagnosed. At first I told them that it might be just gasket leaking. And ask them if how much or big trouble to replace the gasket. And my second option is if it is in fact gonna be really big trouble to replace it, is it wise to do timing belt service as well. Since im due the next 8,000 miles for the 100k service.

Well, I was right. There is a piece of metal ring that are attached to the water pump that was deformed, chewed and broken into pieces that was found when they removed the timing belt cover.

Whew!!! good thing that I brought my car in after 1 week of coolant leaking. Well, i should have done it sooner. But I dod not know.

Hope yours are not as worse.
2000 Daewoo Leganza SE
92K Miles 06/06
carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

thanks M. just finished replacing it , started a 4pm it now 11.30 what a pain in the ass.
parts list say these are 34mm but also mentions a 36mm so she who must be obeyed was dispatched this morning to purchace said items.she got both (smart) cost 20p (thats about 12cents american) each.
After removing exhaust manifold,crank case breather, road wheel, plastic splash guards,fan belt,air con condersor, and leavering out the old plug (sounds simpler that it really is) offered up the new plug,it went right in thought i was going to drop it inside the water jacket (don't what would happen if i did and i don't want to find out) so ok its to small go for the 36mm, it was to big would'nt even enter the bevel at the start of the hole. it's now 5. 15pm on a friday evening, jump in van go like a man possesed to the factors, the best they can give me is 35mm, still to big just, so what to do, emery paper and a bfh (BIG F***ING HAMMER) trail and error,rub abit thump a bit , using a 22mm socket in the centre, had to remove the rad and dip stick and tube to get a swing at it ,neddless to say it is in place and tight, whats more to the point ,it's not leaking (yet) and i have had the car a full temp.
imagine what this would cost if the main dealer was to do the work think of the invoice
parts £ 0.20p
labour £300.00+
buy the way there was actully a hole in the core plug pitted rust
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

faulty water pump doesn't leak at the header side of the engine... it is more like one of the 4 O shaped plugs on the block.

indeed if you are removing the head for any reason it is better to consider your timing belt job... i did just that when i was 4000 kms short of the schedualed timing belt job due to a head gasket replacment, throwed in a water pump as mine was leaking.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267