Engine building for boost

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ubuyau
Expert

Engine building for boost

Post by ubuyau »

So here is the dilemma as it stands...

The engine builder couldnt source off the shelf aftermarket (Non OEM) pistons for the 1.5 SOHC (no suprise 8)).

Since im getting the bottom end rebuilt, i got a quote for some work...

One option im considering is buying a new short block from Holden.
If everything is spanking new and im getting it all tuned properly with a standalone fuel and ignition computer, will a new stock block with new OEM pistons, rods, crank, bearings, etc handle a signifigant amount of boost (we might be talking around some figure like 15psi here - I will get the builder to replace the rod bolts with ARP bolts and rebalance the new bottom end again). Ill get the block o-ringed and a metal headgasket too.

With signifigant dyno time to get the tune right, will new OEM internals reliably handle this sort of boost? If i remember the TD04 starts to run out of efficiency @ 17-18psi boost, so would the build handle upto that much boost? Would i need to consider changing anything else on a stock shortblock?

Also does anyone know if anyone makes (either forged or hypereutectic) pistons for the 1.5 SOHC Lanos? Im confident we could get custom forged pistons made up locally....... that quote was absolutely insane....

--Tim
Last edited by ubuyau on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

hahah you finally want more boost? Once you start, its addictive :) I'm also very interested to see how this turns out.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

exist3nce wrote:hahah you finally want more boost? Once you start, its addictive :) I'm also very interested to see how this turns out.
Its more the fact that ive lost compression on cylinder 2 and the engine no more workies :lol:

Thus im going to get the engine rebuilt...

Im looking to get it properly tuned this time as well with standalone fuel and ignition control... so im going for good tuning and atleast double the boost I was running before... :smt028
So the idea is to be a VERY quick street car - V8/Rotary territory here I come... 8)

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Do you know how it happened? How many kms on the engine? I hope that doesn't happen to me :(
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Almost 130 000kms. Happened because i didnt have it tuned well
Still unsure of the exact cause....

Well after dealing with a most unhelpful spare parts staff member and getting abused over the phone, the idea of sourcing a new short or long block is out of the question locally (due to the apparent "nonexistance" of a short block and having to sell my soul for a new long block).

I remember reading that the bottom end of the 1.5 and 1.6 is the same? I wonder if Intimidator can help and ship me a short block to Australia? :badgrin:
http://www.intimidator.co.kr/bbs/zboard ... asc&no=112

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Did you immediately realize what had happened? or did it happen slowly? What were the symptoms of losing compression in 1 cylinder?

sorry for all the noob questions lol.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

It was a very immediate notice - didnt really have much warning besides losing a bit of coolant before hand - but being so hot in Australia that couldve been anything....

no audiable pinging/detonation sound, very rich air/fuels so i think the lack of timing control and normal engine wear killed it.

When it finally went bang (literally) the car will no longer start :lol:

What happend:
Came a bit hard on the accelerator - a few very large back fires and the car begins to sputter and lose power, then eventually the engine stopped and a CEL was thrown...

The engine still trys to turn over but it just doesnt kick over. If i wind the idle screw all the way in i can sometimes get it to start a little bit but it sounds really rough and missing badly..

--Tim
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

OK another engine builder got back.

Same lead time on the pistons (5-6 weeks to the US) and same price but these are custom forgies (either Ross or ACL he believes).
Run a Haltech standalone fuel and ignition computer (with boost control too).

O-ring the block, custom copper head gasket, bore and hone the block, all machine work.... should be good 8) V8s look out!

--Tim
SyNt4x

Post by SyNt4x »

So Tim. what kind of Dollars are you looking at for the rebuild? block only. ChipTorque in Brisbane if your near there. not sure. they do some great work with the haltech ecu's. which model are you going for?
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Well the head was rebuilt about 7-8 months ago, clutch was done about 9 months. So thats all good.

Full bottom end is getting redone now... Its all about the 1.5 SOHC - no engine swaps here 8)

So far as the ECU - its still under consideration. Im figuring the Haltech E6X should be suitable (use the 2.5Bar MAP sensor that comes with it) and get the Haltech boost control solenoid to control boost.

Then its a question of how long the gearbox and driveshafts last :lol:

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

how much boost are you planning to run after the rebuild?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

To be decided :smt098

Lets just say it'll be a little bit... :smt023

--Tim
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Could you please when you have time post up your products and links in this thread
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6628

I am asking because I just wanted to know about the clutch you bought for your woo
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I just had the local clutch shop get one of his contacts to make one up.

They sent my original clutch away and I got one custom made.

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

nice, how much is that costing?