Fuel Gauge Modification

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

koh

Fuel Gauge Modification

Post by koh »

Hi,

Does anyone has the circuit diagram for Lanos II fuel Gauge ?

My fuel gauge is always show empty despite it is full tank. Is there any way to try to see whether the fuel gauge is working ? Such as using capacitor to shun the fuel gauge to see whether the fuel needle can move up ?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

There is a pink wire going to the fuel gage..... this is +12V from your fuse box.

The other wire is a black/white wire that goes directly to your PCM.

Unfortunatly I don't know what impedance the coil is in the fuel gauge so there is no way for me to tell you how to check it.

Normally I would take a 9V battery and a resistor to check the movement but the resistor is very important and I would have to know what resistance is read accross the two terminals before I could estimate the resistor value needed.

If you didn't use a resistor and just put the battery accross it you could severly damage your gauge.

Any testing has to be done with the car's wiring harness removed.... if you had it connected and put a 9V battery on there you would damage your PCM.

PCM = Powertrain Control Module = $$$$$$$$$$$$ expensive to replace.

Hopefully it's a gauge and not a damaged PCM.

Hmmm..... I wish I had some information to give you about a testing procedure.

If any of you guys out there happen to have your dash apart or have a spare instrument cluster can you take a multimeter and measure the resistance accross the two terminals of the fuel meter for me?

Hopefully someone will do it and then I can help you.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

ill be taking my dash out in the next week so if no one by then ill try my best
azazel19
Junior

Fuel gauge

Post by azazel19 »

It might not be your gauge. There was a TSB for 99-02 Daewoo's. Lanos, nubira, Leganza. The problem is the fuel level sensor, or sending unit is faulty. A new one will correct the problem. Sorry I don't have the part numbers right off hand but the GM dealer will. The 00 lanos parts manual doesn't have a listing just for the sending unit but the 01-02 manual does. hope it helps.
"mess with the best die like the rest"
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Shouldn't a bad fuel level sensor trip a CEL (check engine light) ??
azazel19
Junior

fuel gauge

Post by azazel19 »

no. it's not an emissions problem. there is a tsb on the problem go to the dealer and order the part and a new o-ring and the problem will be solved.
"mess with the best die like the rest"