Turbo Optra Plans

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

you going for max boost or for quick spool?
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Im going to get ahold of a different mani. The turbo sits too low and the oil wont return on its own. Its not a hard fix but I know I can get more than what I paid for this one so im just going to get a different one
I didn't know this. That does seem like it would be a problem considering everything I've read so far recommends only a downhill path for oil return. What kind of fix might you use to correct this? Also who else is selling a mani for the 2.0L?
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

not sure if you were referring to me....... but I want the best of both worlds. I only plan to run 8psi, but I want the possibility of more in the future. Lag is not a big concern to me, and I'd rather have a larger turbo that doesn't spool until 3K than one thats boosting at 1.5K.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

exist3nce wrote:
not sure if you were referring to me....... but I want the best of both worlds. I only plan to run 8psi, but I want the possibility of more in the future. Lag is not a big concern to me, and I'd rather have a larger turbo that doesn't spool until 3K than one thats boosting at 1.5K.
Thats going to mean a decent sized turbo if its not kicking in till 3k rpm on a 2L. The torque will be alot 8)

Sounds like you want max power - build the engine :D

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

haha I do want max power, but within reason. I dont plan to take it up to like 30psi or something. I'm reasonably sure I'd like boost starting around 2.5 - 3k. 8 psi. 2.0L. Any suggestions for a turbo?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Audacityracing wrote:yeah... 1/2 second easy... maybe more (depends on your power numbers). from 2nd gear to 3rd you loose a remendous amount of torque through motion transfer. it never shows up on the dyno because you feather into it, but in a drag scenario when you hammer it in 3rd, you loose tons of energy.

1. you can fill the stock mounts with window weld.... works to about a 80% capacity of true urethane mounts

2. you can order a set from intimidator

3. you can make molds from the OEM mounts and then mix and cast your own urethane.

i did option number 3 because i made about 6 sets in order to have them around.
where did you get your doner mounts from, did you go to the stealership or can we got them online pretty easy

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

kinkyllama wrote:Im going to get ahold of a different mani. The turbo sits too low and the oil wont return on its own. Its not a hard fix but I know I can get more than what I paid for this one so im just going to get a different one
The turbo sits to low??? :smt102

That makes no sense at all.... that manifold was specificly designed to work with your engine.... the oil outlet on a standard T3 or T3/T4 will be roughly even or just below with the top of the oil pan/bottom of the block..... so that's what... 4" to 6" above the bottom of the oil pan?

That's plenty of room for drainage..... and these manifolds are in use throughout the UK (and other countries).... to my knowledge nobody has had problems with oil return.

If this is some bull that a certain person at a certain performance shop told you I would say he's lying to you to get out of the install.

That certain person PM'd me asking about how to wire up an SMT-6 to the Forenza last week... I was also asked about methods of tuning the car... I did give them links to the manufacturer's wiring diagrams and talked a bit about tuning methods... but I felt that they should have known this allready.

When Tom mentioned you were going there to get the turbo installed I became very concerned that this shop was going to blow your engine.

Do they even have a Dyno??? You can't tune the piggyback without one.... they would risk blowing your engine into a million tiny pieces.

You need to load the car on the dyno (hammer the thottle to the floor) under maximum boost with a wideband air/fuel monitor to ensure a correct A/F mixture and you need to be able to monitor knock levels at full power. (which show up as erratic spikes in the power on the dyno graph)

If you ask me.... this sounds very fishy.... my personal opinion is that they told you this so that they didn't have to turbo your car.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear considering the time and distance you traveled to have the work done but I'm laying it out as I see it.

When I get home I will throw the manifold on my spare U20SED (from forenza) and take some pictures with my T3/T4 turbo.

I hope they didn't charge you for anything other than the work they did :smt076
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok.... I just threw the manifold on and lined up my T3/T4 and the oil line connector is roughly 2" above the bottom of the block.

It doesn't get any better than this unless you have a manifold designed so the turbo is above the manifold.... and I doubt there is room for that kind of design.

My T4 compressor contacts the block.... but a T3 compressor should have no problem at all.... which is what this manifold is designed for.

I'm very tempted to make an adapter wedge to go from a T3 to a T25/T28 so that I can throw on a GT28RS.

The other way to make the T3/T4 fit is to get a simple spacer made.... it would cost less than $100 and it would be an exact duplicate of the exhaust manifold.

I started to machine one on my milling machine but I haven't had time to work on it for the last six months so it's sitting there 1/4 finished.

A spacer requires the user to replace the exhaust studs with longer ones but that's easy enough to do.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

roughly how much money was the 360 manifold selling for? i'm curious of the cost versus a true custom made one
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

check out this link for the turbo parts pricing 360 had

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... t=manifold
Audacity Racing
moron

you can pick up this one for roughly $400US... i'm curious as to the flow differences (this one is tubular versus cast)

or this one
for $600US

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

damm they look good
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Audacityracing, where did you find those from? They *look* like they would flow better than the cast one. The cast one looks alright, except for the external wastegate placement....... seems like its pointing in the opposite direction of the exhaust flow which isn't the greatest for controlling boost (so i have read).
Audacity Racing
moron

those are from a company i work with. you send them a gasket and a few measurements... and they ship you a mnifold. these are the two cheapest... they get more expensive for more boost. it's the same company that designed my manifold
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Are those ones you posted for the U20SED? If so could you provide me with any more info / pics? I'm trying to decide on a mani soon, and the more options I have the better.