My Gates timing belt kit arrived... uh oh. hehe

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

bump the starter

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

get a breaker bar with a 17mm socket and put it on the exhaust pulley and turn clock wise until marks line up.. get a paint pin or marker and make some marks
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

It's all back together now with the new timing belt and stuff... I'm waiting until later to actually try and start it... hehe I think it's all correct, but I'm still nervous about it. :D
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... so here's the lowdown on my timing belt change.

On the one hand it seems to be running well when I'm out on the road. The down side is that it seems to be idling a bit rougher than it was before.

There is a slight pulsing sensensation I noticed when I was at idle. Goes away immediately upon hitting the gas.

I also switched from a SRI to a CAI, I don't know if that would have any real effect on the idle or not.

Overall the performance on the highway was good. Acceleration was good... just that kinda pulsing vibration feeling when I'm at idle.

The tach is holding at about 900-950 rpms while idle without dipping at all.

Another thing I considered is that there may have been a small amount of oil that leaked down into the cyclinders when I took the spark plugs out. My valve cover gasket still hasn't arrived so... there was no real way around that. I also didn't replace the spark plugs when I put them back in (couldn't stand to throw another set of NGK's in there to get fouled up by a bad valve cover gasket.

I also considered that perhaps I put too much tension on the alternator/power steering belt. I don't know if that would give me that pulsing (almost straining feeling) that it has when it's in idle.

The CAI sounds a ton different then my SRI did... a lot more of a "sucking air" sound then before. In general it sounds quieter than before.

Could it be that the timing belt, idler bearing, and tensioner need to "break in"?

Should I do another idle learn process on it and see if that has an effect on it? Especially since I've burned off most if not all of the oil that may have dripped down into the cylinder?

So... What do you guys think?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

it sounds like you might have your timing off a little bit, i think it mingt be your exhaust is opeming too late, you might have to take it apart again and retime it

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

You were right. It was off by 1 notch. My woo is now running great (better then ever actually). :)

hehe I no longer have a fear of changing the timing belt... hell... with the right tools I can probably do one in about an hour or so start to finish now. :D
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

:D glad you got it done up right. i told you it'd be ok if it was off by one (and noticeable), not to mention you can fix it easily :lol:

now make my website damn it
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah yeah. We'll get your website built! (and the other stuff we agreed on!) :D
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

glad to hear that everything went OK :)
T18SED Engine.

mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

Good job Johnny, how did you like those water pump bolts? Those things are always the worst part for me.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

mrbnew wrote:Good job Johnny, how did you like those water pump bolts? Those things are always the worst part for me.
Hehe... didn't mess with them at all. I didn't change out the water pump when I was in there. Yeah... I know... I'm rolling the dice on the water pump not going bad on me, but I have faith that it'll hold up for another 60k miles. I'll probably change that out with the next belt.

I also didn't use the backing up the water pump technique to get the belt on... I did it the brute force/pry back the tensioner method. :)
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

You must have superman fingers. There is no way I could have done that.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

mrbnew wrote:You must have superman fingers. There is no way I could have done that.
Hehe... Well... that part certainly wasn't easy.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

mrbnew wrote:You must have superman fingers. There is no way I could have done that.
his finges have alot of "practice" if you know what i meanImage

(sorry bro i had to)

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah... My wife appreciates my nimble fingers too. :D