Lowering car

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

norbie
Expert

Lowering car

Post by norbie »

Hello,

I am looking to lower my car (1.4 lanos) and don't really know much about it - is it a good modification to make?
What are the real, noticable advantages?

I know someone who would be able to do the work for me, but what parts do I need to buy, just "lowering springs" ?

Are these suitable? They seem very cheap compared to online sites.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8054212800

The seller doesnt have a picture but says they're PI springs if that's any help.
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

make sure he pumps you brakes up before he test drives it
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6323
OOPS!

all you really need is the lowering springs... but i recomend new shocks an struts while you have it apart.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Since you are the lucky one to be on the right side of the pond (UK, that is), lowering setup from Astra Mk2 GTE will work, and there are plenty of options available to you. Look at www.astra-mk2.com for suspension info.

Its is always best to replace the struts/shocks when lowering the car. Often, you will find your upper front strut mounts/tie-rod ends/balljoints may be worn. All parts you can get from Mk2, with the exception of the upper strut bar. Ideally, if you also want to improve braking, buy a complete rear disc axle from Mk2...then your car will be lowered, and will have rear discs ;)

Tom

Post by kroz123 »

I'm thinking of lowering my car with Intrax 1.5" all around, do I need to change the shock/struts too, or does it count for older vehicles?
T18SED Engine.

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

rr__kroz123 wrote:I'm thinking of lowering my car with Intrax 1.5" all around, do I need to change the shock/struts too, or does it count for older vehicles?
it couldnt hurt, get some performance ones and you should see a greater increase in handeling, and it should ride better.

kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

I don't know if they are made for my car yet.
T18SED Engine.

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ill bet you can get some thing out there for your car

norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Thanks for your help :)

Those springs on ebay though seem like a steal they're ?40 and they retail for about ?100 normally.
Are PI springs good, and if I bought those could I then buy the other parts separately? (Shocks etc)
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I was thinking of lowering my 1.4 Lanos aswell... but don't have the money to buy performance shocks and coilovers at this time. (damn, i really need to get a job as soon as possible :? )
But, isn't there a possibility of lowering a car's stock suspension? I'm kinda hopeless when it comes to suspension know-how aswell, I pretty much only have a vague idea of what strut braces do (not sure if i got it right) but tell me if it is possible to lower a Lanos on it's stock suspension.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you could lower it on stock suspencion, but id say save your $$$$ up, and get some shocks and struts.

Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I was looking at strut braces yesterday and earlier today and I really want to get some. the strut braces are not too expensive either. The Lanos even has a little panel in the boot on either side that can be removed to add the strut bars. and the front ones... well their self explanatory... dangling over the engine, lol

I'll probably lower my stock suspension about 1, maybe 2 inches, not too much because there are lots of speed bumps around the area where I live. and will deffinitely be getting strut bars/braces.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i just lowered my car 1.2 inches, it looks better (exept for the body damage i caused)

norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Just bought my strut bracer the other day.

Cheapest I could find in the UK was here (same seller as on ebay):
http://www.strutbracer.co.uk/tables/daewoo.htm
www.norbie.co.uk
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

to lower stock suspension on a Lanos... how hard (or easy) is it if I wanted to do it myself or with the help of a friend or two. would it be possible? or does the whole car need to be jacked up, etc, etc?
i'm still not too knowledgable on how it is done either, so some pictures/guides/diagrams (if possible) would help. ive checked throught how-to section and there is nothing on lowering stock suspension at all... any help would be great! thanx.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

bump