Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

zingy

puttin 1.6 dohc head on a sohc 1.5

Post by zingy »

I was wondering that if we put a dohc 1.6 head and remove the 1.5 sohc head
would it create complexities and if so what kind
will i have to reporgram my ecu
or change it all together

secondly as the 1.6 uses the same block and what if i bore it 1.5 to 1.6 what complexities should arise then
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is an idea that i've been having for a long time now.

first which 16 valve head we aretalking about? is it the one from the 1.6 lanos or the 1.6 nubira? if it is the one from the lanos then i am not sure about the comptability of the oil and coolant passages between the 1.5 SOHC and 1.6 DOHC blocks and heads, if you mean the 1.6 ODHc from a nubira then tyou will have one extra problem which is the engine mount... that block has an engine mount where the PWS pump should be on the Lanos.

comparing head gaskets from both engines is a good way to find out about passage compatability between blocks/heads.

what i was thinking of is getting the 16 valve head off a 1.5... this way the oil and coolant passages will be 100% compatable, i don't think an ECU swap will be required as you are still running a 1498 cc engine with the same compression and all... it is only breathing better now.

the cam setup will be different indeed... you will get the pullys and tensioner with the new head but you got to buy a new belt that was made for the DOHC version.

if you ever did that swap please documen your work so that we all can aquire the knowledge for our future plans and whenever you need help you can always ask us.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267