Lex86s Grill Mod.

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lex86

Lex86s Grill Mod.

Post by lex86 »

Alright here is another one from me (quite a spree lately :P )

Okay I stupidly didnt take any piccies during the first part of construction, so i'll outlay what i did.

1. Pop the bonnet
2. on the front of my 1.5i/racer there are 3 screws holding the top of the grill in place remove these.
3. Gently bend the grill forward and use a 6mm socket to undo the 4 bolts holding the underside
3alt. Alternatively reach up through the hole beneath the grill (my number plate is covering it atm) and undo the bolts that way.
4. Now that the grill has been removed put it aside and giggle at the almost intercooled look of your car.
5. Get a hacksaw or any fine pointed cutting device and proceed to remove the plastic struts.
6. Get some 600 grade or so sand paper and give it a rough sanding to remove all the rough edges
7. then use some 1500 and remove any fine lines and schtuff like that.
7alt. When you see the pics of mine, it'll look warped in some places -> thats because there were some large holes to be filled... so we used masking tape :P
8. Get some chrome paint, or whatever color you think would make your car look pimpin and give it a spray. Get right into all the niches (dont worry about the back of it, the radiator probably wouldnt like pieces of paint being sucked into it.
9. Waiting at least an hour between coats apply 3 more coats and leave to bake in the sun.
10. Go down to your local car store (I went to Super Cheap Auto here in Australia) and get some grill mesh, mine cost me Aus$30 and i only used about a 1' ( its ' for feet and '' for inches right?) of it.
11. Measure and cut some of the grill so it covers from the outside edge to where the holes for the badge are.

This next part depends on what you want to do.

12. I cut slits in the grill so it would fit snuggly over the struts that are on the inside of the plastic front piece. Then i used a 2-part apoxy glue and glued the grill to the plastic.

Marvel at the spliffyness.

13. Start where you like but put all of the bolts back into the bottom of the now almost finished grill.
14. Put all the screws back into the top of the grill
15. Close the bonnet.

Now some piccies.

These ones are small, didnt check the setting on the camera.

These are larger.
Note the look of the metallic-blue mesh.

All in all, could have done the job in 3 hours or so, but i stretched it out over like 2 days.

Peace dudes
-Lex

The future will come!
Told ya, its already here!
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

looks very nice, good job ;)
T18SED Engine.