Turbo Optra Plans

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

exist3nce
Expert

Turbo Optra Plans

Post by exist3nce »

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning and researching the possibility of adding turbo to my 2004 Optra. I'm reading the book recommended by ubuyau (Maximum Boost), very interesting so far. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

1) How much boost is this engine likely capable of tolerating on stock internals?
2) How much boost would I need to get into the 14s 1/4 mile, and how much WHP would I need to generate for that?
3) Opinions on remote turbo setup?
4) Right now I'm thinking of starting out around 6-8 PSI, what supporting mods will I require to run this and how much HP is it likely to generate?

Thanks, your input is appreciated :)
kroz123
Expert

Re: Turbo Optra Plans

Post by kroz123 »

exist3nce wrote:Hi everyone,

I am currently planning and researching the possibility of adding turbo to my 2004 Optra. I'm reading the book recommended by ubuyau (Maximum Boost), very interesting so far. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

1) How much boost is this engine likely capable of tolerating on stock internals?
2) How much boost would I need to get into the 14s 1/4 mile, and how much WHP would I need to generate for that?
3) Opinions on remote turbo setup?
4) Right now I'm thinking of starting out around 6-8 PSI, what supporting mods will I require to run this and how much HP is it likely to generate?

Thanks, your input is appreciated :)

Well I'm thinking of adding headers then gather all the part for turbo.

1.With stock internals it can handle till 8psi
2.with the stock engine you will not be able to get into the 14s, not even with turbo and nitro togeter, you'll blow up the engine for sure.
3. Well my idea for a turbo setup is to fabricate the manifold an put the turbo then run the tubes to the intercooler at the front.
4. If I were you I would start with 3 or 4 psi, constant run 6-8 psi would kill your engine on the long run on stock internals

A little bit of my knowlegde :D
T18SED Engine.

ubuyau
Expert

Re: Turbo Optra Plans

Post by ubuyau »

rr__kroz123 wrote: Well I'm thinking of adding headers then gather all the part for turbo.

1.With stock internals it can handle till 8psi
2.with the stock engine you will not be able to get into the 14s, not even with turbo and nitro togeter, you'll blow up the engine for sure.
3. Well my idea for a turbo setup is to fabricate the manifold an put the turbo then run the tubes to the intercooler at the front.
4. If I were you I would start with 3 or 4 psi, constant run 6-8 psi would kill your engine on the long run on stock internals

A little bit of my knowlegde :D
IMO....
1) Id say with a good tune you could easily handle 10psi before things get funky with stock internals...
2) Again it comes down to tune and the state of your engine before turbo. High 14s may be possible with a bit of weight reduction + grip 8)
3) Dont bother with remote turbo, too much hassle trying to get oil return with a seperate oil sump+pump, etc.
4) 6psi is low boost still. Itll give you good amounts of torque (i guess you'd go with a T3 or a TD05 turbo for the 2L, something that flows alot of air). You'll need extra fuel for the extra air, so either a FMU or a rising rate fuel regulator + bigger injectors should get you out of trouble. Fuel+Spark piggybackback ECU would be better again because then you can control timing as well.

6psi has been fine for me for 12months on stock internals.... :smt028

--Tim
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

1) Your biggest concern is detonation since our engine has high compression... you'll run into that problem just before you need to start worry about internals. But no matter what boost you run get ARP bolt, even at 5psi over time the stock bolts get fatigue (sp?) and break. And I must say
2) I donno how much boost you'd need.. but depends on your wheels/tires/suspension. Talk to audacityracing about a traction bar, shouldnt be a problem for him to make an extra since hes already gonna do one for my forenza. 14s are very possible. I did a 16flat 1/4mile with 20lbs 17" wheels, cold tires, intake, exhaust, pulley, and lowering springs, plus my launch sucks.
3) Cool idea.. but dont bother.
4) I'd start with 6psi.. work out the bugs and let it break in for awhile. If you have low miles you might wanna start as low as 5psi but I wouldnt go lower as gains would be minimal. Then over some break in time maybe go up to 8psi.

. . . Hopfully you can get ahold of a turbo mani.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Thanks for the replies.

rr__kroz123: I definitely want more than 3-4 PSI, or this whole thing woudn't even be worth it. ubuyau has been running 6psi as he said with no problems.

ubuyau: would you have any idea where to get the fuel components and injectors now that 360Dynamics closed? Does anyone even make such after market parts for our cars?

kinkyllama: what exactly is the traction bar, and how much were you going to pay for it? Again, now that 360D has closed, are the proper bolts readily available elsewhere?

BTW my car has 37000 kms on it. Also thinking about getting some springs to lower it, maybe 1 inch. You guys think that will cause damage to the struts or whatnot over time?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:Thanks for the replies.

rr__kroz123: I definitely want more than 3-4 PSI, or this whole thing woudn't even be worth it. ubuyau has been running 6psi as he said with no problems.

ubuyau: would you have any idea where to get the fuel components and injectors now that 360Dynamics closed? Does anyone even make such after market parts for our cars?

kinkyllama: what exactly is the traction bar, and how much were you going to pay for it? Again, now that 360D has closed, are the proper bolts readily available elsewhere?

BTW my car has 37000 kms on it. Also thinking about getting some springs to lower it, maybe 1 inch. You guys think that will cause damage to the struts or whatnot over time?
Yeah there are fuel injectors and whatnot available for the optra, I have some. Im in the process of turbocharging my forenza btw. But i got them through 360D.

For info on the traction bar go here: http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5659

Lowering it only an inch wont hurt.. ive had my forenza lowered 1.2" for about 30k miles now with no problems
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Just wondering are chris@precisionboost and 360dynamics still around? they always seen to have good advice :)
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:Just wondering are chris@precisionboost and 360dynamics still around? they always seen to have good advice :)
Yeah they are.. but I think they both have very busy scheduals
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

exist3nce wrote:ubuyau: would you have any idea where to get the fuel components and injectors now that 360Dynamics closed? Does anyone even make such after market parts for our cars?
Again, depends on what you are trying to achieve... A FMU or a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator might be enough for low boost im not sure what the stock fuel/ignition maps are like on those cars - but i guess they should be fine for low boost. You can pick them up on eBay or the like...

You might need bigger injectors too for low boost if you are leaning out... you should be able to source these thru GM.

Otherwise its a piggyback computer or reflash of your stock ECU to control fuel and timing.
exist3nce wrote: Also thinking about getting some springs to lower it, maybe 1 inch. You guys think that will cause damage to the struts or whatnot over time?
Lowering should be no problems. Stock shocks should be fine for a while too... but you will notice a difference if you change to aftermarket ones...

--Tim
aveosam
Junior

Post by aveosam »

i hope someone boosts their optra or forenza soon because I too am interested in what it can handle....i want to see what kind of power you guys will pull out of the u20sed so I can see if i want to go thru with a 2.0L swap in the aveo
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

ubuyau: Otherwise its a piggyback computer or reflash of your stock ECU to control fuel and timing.
I didn't even think they would have these for our our daewoos.

Thanks for the info everyone.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:
ubuyau: Otherwise its a piggyback computer or reflash of your stock ECU to control fuel and timing.

Piggyback systems will work with just about any car.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

kinkyllama wrote:
exist3nce wrote:

Piggyback systems will work with just about any car.
Problem with piggyback is that you are still reliant on the stock fuel and ignition maps of each car since you're just manipulating signals that go to it. Thats why im looking into seeing if someone can reflash the stock Delco ECU, that way all the maps are perfect and you can retain all the stock features for ancilliary controls...

That said i'll probably end up with a piggyback :lol:

The next step is a full standalone management system. It is best but way expensive...

--Tim
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

MEGASQUIRT!!!!!!!!!

build a full system for 500 bucks and it has a 12x12 fuel map along with data aquisition and all sorts a goodies! :badgrin:
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Continuing on with my plans and attempts to aquire the right parts, does anyone know where I could find a turbo manifold for the Optra 2.0L ? Ofcourse 360 was offering, but yah..... :( Or do you think I will have to get one custom made from scratch? How much might that cost?

thanks.