My Gates timing belt kit arrived... uh oh. hehe

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Well... though I'm not sure which one, from what I've been finding on the web, removing the power steering pulley requires some version of these special tools for removing the power steering pulley... Though the manual doesn't seem to say anything about it that I can find.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it seems the pully is just stuck on the axle of the pump... kinda like removing the rear drums after 10 thousad years of driving.

i recon a spray of WD 40 on the center - where the black pully meets the rusty axle - and a little taps with a hammer on the edges of the pully will set it free.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah... that got it free... but the crank pulley bolt won't budge at all. I've sprayed it with some PB Blaster and WD-40... pulling with all my might wasn't enough to move it... It did bend the end of a screwdriver I was using to stop the crank from spinning with.

Ugh... I really don't want to pay $280 for a shop to do this for me... :(
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Well... I can't get the crank shaft bolt to move at all... It simply won't move... I've tried everything I can with the tools I have. The only thing left I think I could use on it is an impact wrench or an air ratchet...

Here's what it looks like:

I don't hate much of anything... but I'm really annoyed with that bolt.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

johnny when my buddy and I changed my belt we actually used an air ratchet and he said without that it would have been such a pain.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

the trick to removing the crank pulley bolt is quite simple, MMamdouh told me that his mechanic places a socket wrench on the bolt sets it against the suspension makes sure that the car is well supported and no one is arround and crank the car. but make sure that the fuse for the fuel pump is out so the car won't start.
It worked for me. but it is very dangerous
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

for the power steering pump, the manual says to tilt the engine upwards to remove or place the pulley
its in tbl_6b pdf in the manual
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

hands-on wrote:for the power steering pump, the manual says to tilt the engine upwards to remove or place the pulley
Yeah... I finally got the power steering pump pulley off. It was just rusted in place (very solidly I might add). But the Crank Pulley... well... I'm going to have to find someone with a air ratchet or impact wrench to take that bloody thing off. I wouldn't do the "Start the Car" thing... not my style at all. :)

Anyway... I put my woo back together and she still runs great. Timing belt is going to have to wait until I can get my hands on the tool I need to break that bolt free... Just no getting around it... and your friend was right by the way... it is a major pain and so hard that I found it nearly impossible for me to do it by arm strength (or foot... or arms and feet... or arms and feet and me nearly pulling something).
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

JohnnyC wrote:
hands-on wrote:for the power steering pump, the manual says to tilt the engine upwards to remove or place the pulley
Yeah... I finally got the power steering pump pulley off. It was just rusted in place (very solidly I might add). But the Crank Pulley... well... I'm going to have to find someone with a air ratchet or impact wrench to take that bloody thing off. I wouldn't do the "Start the Car" thing... not my style at all. :)

Anyway... I put my woo back together and she still runs great. Timing belt is going to have to wait until I can get my hands on the tool I need to break that bolt free... Just no getting around it... and your friend was right by the way... it is a major pain and so hard that I found it nearly impossible for me to do it by arm strength (or foot... or arms and feet... or arms and feet and me nearly pulling something).
it is not that dangerous man... you just need a simple flick on the ignition key and the torque from the starter will loosen the bolt in the split second.

the real trick is to stop at the correct time... that will be at the moment you hear the wrench hitting the suspension's control arm.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

I use an impact wrench. Comes off in about 2 seconds.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

mrbnew wrote:I use an impact wrench. Comes off in about 2 seconds.
Yeah... I'm thinking I'll have to get/borrow one before I can do the job. :(
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

Might as well, you are going to need it to put it back on anyway.
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

hit the bolt with several sharp blows towards the flywheel. then try to remove the bolt. try this several times. make sure you add wd-40.
got drift?
SyNt4x

Post by SyNt4x »

I have just gone through all this with my 1.5 SOHC lanos. Because i was impatient to get my head off to take to the machine shop i cut my timing belt. So i didn't have the option of cranking the car over to take off the crank pulley. The only way i could get it off was getting my mate over and getting at it with a air compressor and rattle gun. finally got it at 150psi pressure. Good luck dude.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Got that bloody bolt off... hehe Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to turn it all over to get to the proper position before I remove the belt.