lex86 cone filter

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lex86

Post by lex86 »

Hell yeah, i read this post and a few others yesterday and i got the urge to do it.

Made it from pvc pipe and a cone filter.

Parts
  • 3inch to 2inch converter = $3
  • 1 22degree angle = $1.99
  • Cone filter = $32.99
So yeah, before i bought all that i found a broken lead from the air intake to the engine that also has a junction running to the headers(?? i think) so yeh replaced that for $38.

Aaanyway.

Ripped out the old air filter and pipe that went to the resonator and used the converter to join the angle and new air filter to the existing air intake pipe (the black bit before the air cleaner [look at the pictures of my engine before i modded it, in the cars section]).

And yeah, fits snug as a big in a friggin LOUD rug.

The sound difference is amazing :shock: Like 'damn that shit is whack' ( lol hehe ). but yeah i love the fact i can floor it and i get this real deep bassy sound, but if i just have my food on the pedal. the car sounds as normal.

IE.
  • foot-on-floor = getaway from something
or
  • foot-lightly-touching = cops are following and i'm driving carefully :roll: :D
Anyhow, I also bought some chrome spraypaint --> i love ghetto rigging shit 8) looks really cheesy but works a treat.

i'll get some piccies and a sound recording. I'll add them later.

Peace.
-Lex

The future will come!
Told ya, its already here!
lex86

Post by lex86 »

Okay heres the pics, i need to go for a drive to get the sound recording, will do that later.

Alright heres the rig as it sits now, it has a piece of pumping restraint underneath it so it doesnt hit anything ;)

This is the connector i used to shrink the 3inch stormwater pipe to the 2inch existing connecter

The chrome paint i'm going to paint it

Hopefully will look like the lid.

Looks schweet

The pointless resonator and old piping from the airfilter to the res.

And the pipe that broke.

Once again, everyone should do this mod, so cheap and so effective.

Oh yeah performace gains.

I can get up to 80km/h in 2nd gear. previously i could barely make it to 65-70km/h.

Other than that i havent noticed anything. Apart from this low rumble everytime i accelerate now. lol!

Peace.

Edit: Added the chromed pipes after they were done.
-Lex

The future will come!
Joso
Super

Post by Joso »

lex86 wrote:Oh yeah performace gains.

I can get up to 80km/h in 2nd gear. previously i could barely make it to 65-70km/h.

Other than that i havent noticed anything. Apart from this low rumble everytime i accelerate now. lol!

Sounds like placebo to me. If you can get up to 80km/h now, you might be able to do it with the stock intake unless you did something to the gearbox.

But yeah, I guess the sound itself may make it an interesting mod.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

nice one lex86!

I have bought the same filter from ebay as MMamdouh, will I only need the converter and angle to fit it like you have?
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

lex86: you better extend the pipe to let it go through the hole and install the filter in the area where the resonator used to be... you are now socking hot air and that hurts performance.

nice work BTW.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Joso wrote:

Sounds like placebo to me. If you can get up to 80km/h now, you might be able to do it with the stock intake unless you did something to the gearbox.

i can go up to 80 km/h in second gear with my car... can't see why it is hard to achive.

MMamdouh
lex86

Post by lex86 »

Also what i forgot to do before i installed it (not before chroming) was attach the air intake sensor, so i've drilled and mounted the sensor on the underside (where the dodgy chrome is.
norbie wrote:nice one lex86!

I have bought the same filter from ebay as MMamdouh, will I only need the converter and angle to fit it like you have?
Yeah I see that as the easiest way to get a cai put in.

But as MMamdouh says, where it is atm its sucking hot air so i'll buy another angle piece and put the filter down through the hole thats there.
MMamdouh wrote:lex86: you better extend the pipe to let it go through the hole and install the filter in the area where the resonator used to be... you are now socking hot air and that hurts performance.

nice work BTW.

MMamdouh
Yeah that'll be the next step in this project. as well as a second coat of chrome which can sit for more than an hour to fully harden (the first job was rushed as it was pissing down with rain where i live.

Ah well, another mod for my woo!

Woo's RULE!
-Lex

The future will come!
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

lex86 wrote:Also what i forgot to do before i installed it (not before chroming) was attach the air intake sensor, so i've drilled and mounted the sensor on the underside (where the dodgy chrome is.
If you're just taking the airbox out and putting the filter where the airbox was you wouldn't need to worry about the air intake sensor as it would still be attached the to pipe would it not?

If you manage to extend it into your resonator area please let me know what pipes (sizes lengths and angles) you used so that I can get the right ones too :)
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
Joso
Super

Post by Joso »

MMamdouh wrote:
Joso wrote:

i can go up to 80 km/h in second gear with my car... can't see why it is hard to achive.

MMamdouh
My car can go faster in second gear. What I mean is max speed in a low gear has nothing to do with the air filter but with the gear ratio.
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

Nice work indeed MMamdouh and lex86 :smt038
T18SED Engine.

lex86

Post by lex86 »

norbie wrote:
lex86 wrote:Also what i forgot to do before i installed it (not before chroming) was attach the air intake sensor, so i've drilled and mounted the sensor on the underside (where the dodgy chrome is.
If you're just taking the airbox out and putting the filter where the airbox was you wouldn't need to worry about the air intake sensor as it would still be attached the to pipe would it not?
The air sensor on my car was mounted into the box, so i needed to drill a 20mm hole in the converter (previously the 45deg pipe) to put it in.
norbie wrote: If you manage to extend it into your resonator area please let me know what pipes (sizes lengths and angles) you used so that I can get the right ones too :)

Yeah man i extended it today. pics to follow.

The sensor mounted on the adatper.

edit: wrong link
Pipe before the chrome.

Some chrome shots.

And now where the filter sits.

What i used was
3x 45deg fittings.
about 6" of straight 90mm (3.5") storm water pipe (But about 12" or so, for any extra [Also grab some plumbers pipe weld stuff its blue and joins plastic pipes you'll need it])
A 90mm connecter (it sits inside the pipe)
And the joins are as follows.

Yeah thats it hey, works a real treat.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

Also i'll get some daylight pics when its daylight here.

Peace.
-Lex

The future will come!
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

hey Lex you'll need to put the fender splash guard back cuz the filter will suck every thing your wheel will throw at it.

but Nice work though 8)
T18SED Engine.

lex86

Post by lex86 »

rr__kroz123 wrote:hey Lex you'll need to put the fender splash guard back cuz the filter will suck every thing your wheel will throw at it.

but Nice work though 8)
I didnt have a fender splash guard... lol maybe i should get one from a wreckers :D :p

Peace
-Lex

The future will come!
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Thanks mate, I love the chrome look you've given it as well.

I'll print out this page and go to the loacl trade suppliers to get the parts lol.

Thanks for a good guide, but I'm sure I'll be back when I get stuck (thats is WHEN not IF lol).
www.norbie.co.uk
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Joso wrote: My car can go faster in second gear. What I mean is max speed in a low gear has nothing to do with the air filter but with the gear ratio.
theoritically speaking yes but you got to push the engine to its rev limit (6500RPM) to get the higest speed you can for each gear.

on the practical side of things; pushing the engine to 6500 RPM is not easy when you got loads of ristriction in the intake and/or the exhaust so adding a cone filter makes that more attanable and that is exactly what i felt, the car now does the same speeds for each gears but it it seems effortles now as the ristriction is illiminated or at least minimized.

MMamdouh