Engine cleaning tips? (Inspired by ubuyau)

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

SickDrift
Junior

Engine cleaning tips? (Inspired by ubuyau)

Post by SickDrift »

Any one have tips or techniques for cleaning engine compartments?
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
woo
Expert

Re: Engine cleaning tips? (Inspired by ubuyau)

Post by woo »

give it a good spray with degreaser, then hose it out. Any stuborn bits scrub with a cloth
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

woo wrote:give it a good spray with degreaser, then hose it out. Any stuborn bits scrub with a cloth

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im inspiring threads now! 8) im letting go of all my secrets ;)

You've got to be careful with water since it can get in the spark plug leads or sensors and cause things to go a little bad. Dont forget to cover your pod filter/important sensors with plastic bags so they dont get wet!

Normally i use a wet chamois and wipe down all the dirty surfaces. Then i use a portable steam machine with a long hose/nozzle and steam off any stubborn stains/residue. Wipe it all off with a dry cloth/rag.

For the metal surfaces (like the heat shield) i use a metal polish called "Autosol" http://www.autosol.com.au/metalpolishes.htm and shine it upto near mirror finish :)

With the hard plastic parts i use normal Armor All http://www.armorall.com/prod_protectant.html and let it soak in.

Normally i wipe it down and armorall every month or so so its not a mammoth task. Metal polish maybe once every few months?

--Tim
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

ubuyau wrote:
woo wrote:give it a good spray with degreaser, then hose it out. Any stuborn bits scrub with a cloth

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im inspiring threads now! 8) im letting go of all my secrets ;)

You've got to be careful with water since it can get in the spark plug leads or sensors and cause things to go a little bad. Dont forget to cover your pod filter/important sensors with plastic bags so they dont get wet!

Normally i use a wet chamois and wipe down all the dirty surfaces. Then i use a portable steam machine with a long hose/nozzle and steam off any stubborn stains/residue. Wipe it all off with a dry cloth/rag.

For the metal surfaces (like the heat shield) i use a metal polish called "Autosol" http://www.autosol.com.au/metalpolishes.htm and shine it upto near mirror finish :)

With the hard plastic parts i use normal Armor All http://www.armorall.com/prod_protectant.html and let it soak in.

Normally i wipe it down and armorall every month or so so its not a mammoth task. Metal polish maybe once every few months?

--Tim
way more effort than me, i just douse my engine in degreaser and open the hose on it trying to advoid my altanator, than just SOAK everything in armour all, metal plastic it makes everything shiny, then when you get too lazy to fully clean it again just resoak it in armour all ...... works!
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

Good tips guys. Thanks.
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
gianfranco

Post by gianfranco »

I Just cleaned mine engine the last weekend. I sprayed diesel, then water, and finally an thin coat of diesel to have all shine.
Of course my engine wasn't too dirty. But for extreme dirty engines you can use Castrol degreaser, then water. I used a compressor air gun to spary everything. Just make sure to dry it with compressed air after you spray water.

Regards
Gianfranco
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Uhh... might not be such a good idea to be spraying your engine down with diesel... in fact, I'll have to go ahead and say that is a really bad idea.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

diesel works fine for removing oily stains and keeps the engine shiny... it will start to vapourize once the engine is hot and your car sdmell will stink.

it is better to wash the engine with water and soap right after a diesel shower and don't ever use pressurized water hose on the engine.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You guys could always drive it head first into 2 feet of water like I did.

Didn't do too much damage, and the engine bay is the cleanest it has been in years!

LoL.

^That's an example of a bad way to clean an engine.
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Whoa, whoa whoa.... Clean?

Oops.
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

cpd wrote:Whoa, whoa whoa.... Clean?

Oops.
After seeing your Racer on Sunday.... I understand this is a foreign concept to you! :lol:

--Tim
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Oh shaddup. Get me the time and the stuff to do so with, and I'll clean she up.

I'm tempted to buy some touch-up paint and do all the little cracks/chips, and get a dent puller, and slowly work forwards... *ponders*
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!