name that part

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

panther wrote:Disconnecting vacuum or electric plug will throw a CEL and put the ecu into "get you home mode".
indeed if you just removed the vacuum line from the intake mani to the solinoid actuator you will have a vacuum leak and CEL, if you did that on the line from the solinoid to the EGR you won't get a leak or CEL unless the ECU decides to trigger the EGR... i didn't suggest vacuum line removal at any time and if i did so i'd recommend blocking the line rather than leaving it unattended and cause a leak.

Anyway, over time (especially with a high mileage car) the EGR valve accumulates more carbon deposits (clinker) which eventually prevents the EGR from fully closing. This gives similar symptoms as if you had an air leak in your intake system. The unwanted air will weaken the fuel mixture and you start to experience hesitation problems especially when starting off and/or irratic idling problems and generally lack of power at the lower end RPM. The ecu and ISCV will be working hard to try and correct this unwanted air leak so you may not notice it as much in the beginning. But if the air leak in the EGR gets bigger the problems will be more noticeable.
i know about that as well and i didn't address this issue at all, i was just making a suggestion for taking the EGR out of the equasion... if you have a faulty EGR thats totally another issue that ineeds to be addressed differently.
If you search Google (or your preferred method of search engine) you will get a better understanding of the function of the EGR and why so many people block it off.
i know how an EGR valve work and i know what it does as well as its inherent problems so i can confedently say that this department is well covered for me... i do use google for research and i ask friends that got tons of info as well when i am in need for more information.
Hope that helps you??!
every word you have posted is in fact helpful but still it is not addressing my question: How can an EGR valve work when the actuation solinoid socket is off? by work here i mean "to open up and let exhaust gases to the intake" rather than "leaking exhust 'cause it is not tightly closed"

from what you have posted i see that you miss understood my question as i am talking about removing the function of an EGR... you are talking about an EGR that is stuck open or not doing its job so maybe that what caused the confusion.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
woodae
Super

am i in trouble

Post by woodae »

if i did block the actuator for the intake part. Will that be bad for the engine or is it ok if the acutator is working but the hole is blocked and no exhaust can get into the intake. I think the actual peice that moves up and down doesn't go into the hole for the itake. So blocking the hole won't stop the actuator but stop the air. I sorta understand the function for the egr but i don't see any vaccum lines going to the egr??? where would the vaccum line be.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thats sounds a bit confusing so we got to know which type of EGR you got, if it is golden and looks like this one then it is a vacuum operated EGR:

if it is black and looks like this one then it is electrically operated EGR:

if it is a vacuum operated EGR then you will see a little hose going from its top to a little plastic cylinder on the side of the engine then another pipe goes ftom that cylinder to the bottom of the throttle body, when the ECU finds it necessary for the EGR to work, it sends a signal to the plack cylinder to open the vacuum line between the intake and the valve and this vacuum affects the valve's diaphragm and makes it move and open the passage of the exhaust to the intake.

if you just remove one of the vacuum lines you will get a vacuum leak... depending on which line to remove you will either have a leak all the time or during EGR operation, you got to block any vacuum line you remove and i personally recommend against this approach.

i recommend you remove the socket going to the black cyl. on the side of the engine - AKA solinoid - and this way you will have the vacuum line blocked at all times.

if it is electrical valve then the ECU sends the signal directly to the valve - which is practically and electromagnet - and opens the passage for the exhaust gases.

in this case you can just remove the valve's socket and it will not come into action.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267