name that part

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woodae
Super

name that part

Post by woodae »

i was cl;eaning the intake because it is gummed up because i was running my car without an oxygen sensor working right for almost a year. Lots of gas getting burned and not burned = a big mess what is the thing on top of the intake manifold next to the valve cover. I have a 1.5l SOHC help can i take it apart? to clean
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

EGR Valve
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
woodae
Super

what does it do

Post by woodae »

what does it do?
PoTsUrFrIeNd

Post by PoTsUrFrIeNd »

E.G.R. stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation...It recirculates the unburnt gases in the exhaust system that might try to get through...my guess is that it is gummed up because you had the o2 sensor unhooked and the car was sending all kinds of funky mixtures in the engine....you were probably getting bad gas mileage! If you replace it you will probably notice an improvement in your engines running status!
panther

Post by panther »

Its function is to allow hot exhaust gases to enter the inlet which helps the environment by lowering Nitrogen Oxides. The EGR valve does nothing to help the engine's performance but in fact hurts performance (especially if it sticks open). It's like the Cat, it's function is to help the environment at the cost of performance. If you want better mileage, a smoother idle and better performance, make a tin gasket and block off the EGR valve. But only advisable in countries who don't check the NOx emissions.
woodae
Super

nice

Post by woodae »

so could i use a pop can for the tin peice,
i know for sure they don't check emission stuff in nova scotia
panther

Post by panther »

I used a flattened coke tin which I put in a vice or you may be able to get a nice flat piece from a metal shop. Apart from making 2 holes for the securing bolts, you will also need to drill a hole in the tin gasket to allow the tip of the EGR valve to fit in the exhaust manifold chamber. You will see what I mean when you remove the EGR. The hole leading to the inlet chamber will be blocked off.
woodae
Super

do not understand

Post by woodae »

if i block off everything but the 2 bolt holes will it be ok? or what else do i have to make holes for?
panther

Post by panther »

You can do it that way but you will need to find a custom made EGR blanking plate cover. I have seen these available for other makes of car but not the Daewoo. You can use the existing EGR as the cover but the end of the EGR valve protrudes into the exhaust chamber of the manifold so you will need to drill a hole in the tin gasket to allow it to fit. I will see if I can find a pic.
panther

Post by panther »

This is not a Daewoo EGR but is similar to the one fitted to the sohc. Look at the gasket and you will see the round hole which fits over the tip of the EGR and the square hole which allows exhaust gasses to enter the Inlet manifold.

You need to make a gasket with the round hole to fit over the EGR but leaving the square hole intact to blank off the inlet chamber. Hope this makes more sense now.

woodae
Super

on mine

Post by woodae »

mine didn't have a peice that sticks out. it was just a hole connected to a hole and there was a torx bolt that moves up and down. i plugged the hole with the torx bit in it
Thanks
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

why the hussle trying to do blocks and stuff?? if the EGR is penumatic then remove the socket of the solinoid that operates it, if it is electrical then remove the EGR's socket itself and call it a day.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
panther

Post by panther »

Because simply disconnecting & blocking the vacuum pipe or removing the electric plug wont work. That's why.

Woodae,
you may have a different design of EGR than is fitted to the 1.4 so your method will work just as well without having to cut a hole to fit the end of the EGR.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

panther wrote:Because simply disconnecting & blocking the vacuum pipe or removing the electric plug wont work. That's why.
OH really??! would you explain to me how would the EGR valve work with no vacuum to actuate it?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
panther

Post by panther »

Disconnecting vacuum or electric plug will throw a CEL and put the ecu into "get you home mode". Anyway, over time (especially with a high mileage car) the EGR valve accumulates more carbon deposits (clinker) which eventually prevents the EGR from fully closing. This gives similar symptoms as if you had an air leak in your intake system. The unwanted air will weaken the fuel mixture and you start to experience hesitation problems especially when starting off and/or irratic idling problems and generally lack of power at the lower end RPM. The ecu and ISCV will be working hard to try and correct this unwanted air leak so you may not notice it as much in the beginning. But if the air leak in the EGR gets bigger the problems will be more noticeable.

If you search Google (or your preferred method of search engine) you will get a better understanding of the function of the EGR and why so many people block it off.

Hope that helps you??!