Best Spark Plugs for Lanos?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Best Spark Plugs for Lanos?

Post by BosnianLanos »

I know the topic has been beat to death, but what are the best spark plugs to use in the 1.6 DOHC Lanos?

The day after I got my new Lanos, I put in some Bosch Platinum Spark plugs. Quite frankly, big mistake. The car seems kinda heartless. It isn't terrible, but it is noticeable over my older one. I put in the NGK V-Groove plugs from my old Lanos in, just to test, and the car came to life. Gas mileage came back, power came in strides, and startup and idle were smoother.

I know the NGK V-Grooves came stock with the Lanos, but are they truly the best plugs you can get for our cars?

What are your guys recommendations for the best plug I can put in my car?

Thanks!
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

NGK V-Groove is my choice - easily the best!

So cheap and the performance is great!

I've had heat range 6 and 7 plugs (6 before and after turbo, ive only tried 7 after turbo) - and both perform awesome!

--Tim
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Hmmmm came stock eh? I've been considering doing my plugs/wires... I'm sure my spark plugs are pretty old. :(

Still just considering though. Be nice to hear everyone's opinion. :)
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

JohnnyC wrote:Hmmmm came stock eh? I've been considering doing my plugs/wires... I'm sure my spark plugs are pretty old. :(

Still just considering though. Be nice to hear everyone's opinion. :)
Mine didnt come with V-Grooves :( I had some Champion ones, then changed to VGroove - huge difference!

--Tim
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

You can try Denso Iridium they do work
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

what do you guys think about the NGK Iridium IX spark plug?

Is it better compared to the NGK V-groove?

thanx
T18SED Engine.

joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

I try once the NGK's Iridium waste od money my LAnos didn't work like i expected so change them foe the Denso's and i did notice the power came back.....
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

ohh thanx for the info
T18SED Engine.

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

ubuyau wrote:Mine didnt come with V-Grooves :( I had some Champion ones, then changed to VGroove - huge difference!

--Tim
I'm definately going to have to inspect mine and see what I have in there... if they're not V-Grooves... I might just have to replace them hehe :D
headly

Post by headly »

Yeah mine had some NGK things in there (not V-groove), I recently put some of those Bosch Plus 4's and they made a big difference, I think Im even getting slightly better fuel economy.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

1.5 SOHC:

- comes stock with CHAPION spark plugs and they are crap
- tried NGK V groved and they were great.
- tried DENSO U shaped electrode and it felt just a very little bit less powerful than the NGK
- tried BOSCH super 4 and they didn't feel any different than DENSO... just triple the price of NGK.
- tried splitfire and the performance actually was worse.
- tried NGK dual electrod (OEM spark plugs of the 2.0 engine) and they are as good as the V groved NGK.

1.6 DOHC:

- no idea about the stock 1.6 spark plug but i guess they are NGK
- BOSCH super 4 didn't make any major difference in performance, some time fuel consumption is even worse.
- splitfires work great on that engine

try to note on thing when comparing spark plugs; almost every time you get a new set of s/p it is for the purpose of replacing old ones so better performance is always expected, in order to compare s/p you got to try a brabd new set of every brand.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
nasser

Post by nasser »

I used denso irrediume and it gave bad perfomence. I prefer Bosh (+4) or NGK (+3) they are really superb.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I just went out and picked up some NGK V-Power (V-Groove) plugs :D Gonna go out and install them. :D
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Hmmmm Quick question in regards to this... I noticed there was (what seemed to me) a lot of oil down around the spark plugs. Some had more then others. Is this common, or is it a symptom of something else I should be thinking about fixing?

After installing the NGK's I noticed that it idled a little smoother and it seemed to have a bit more power. I also noted that it was blowing a small amount of white smoke out the tail pipe (I assume this is the little bit of oil that made it down there burning off).

Just made me a little nervous with that oil down there.

*EDIT NOTE* I tightened them like this: Screwed them in until they were "hand tight" then gave them a 2/3 turn... I figured that was about right for the torque on them?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Was the oil on the top side of the plugs (where the leads plug in) or the bottom side (where the plug is in the engine). If it is on the top with the leads, it simply means you have a leaky valve cover gasket, a quick and inexpensive fix. If it is on the cylinder side, then that means you have worn piston rings or valve seals.