Should i try resetting my ECU? AND engine ventilation Q..

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Mark K

Should i try resetting my ECU? AND engine ventilation Q..

Post by Mark K »

Ok so many of you guys already know how much my cielo is crapping me off lately...

I still dont know what the problem is, but i think its computer related.

So, i was wondering...
Should i try resetting the ECU?
Im thinking, maybe if i do this, it will learn about the car in the state that its in now and fix itself? possibly??
If so, how do i do it?
and how do i go about making sure i dont do it wrong... as in, anything in particular i should do?

Also,
Is there any good, backyard sort of mods i can do to get the engine bay a bit cooler?
Ive looked at the posts about hood spacers... is there anything else?

Thanks,
Mark
I.O.U
1 x signature
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

a quick look at the "how to" section will answer your questions.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Mmm yes,
But not the one of whether or not i should be doing it...
I dont wna go doing it if it could ake the problem worse, so i was hoping for some experienced feedback :)
I.O.U
1 x signature
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Resetting to your default ECU settings shouldn't ever hurt your engine. Although if you have made major changes to the engine recently, it might not be a bad idea. It appears you're having an issue though, so you could give it a try. Though it doesn't sound straight away as if your problem is your engines idle process.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... basicly their is nothing in the how to section that you can do that can hurt your car more... its either going to make things better or keep it as it is.

i suggest the standard issue IAC and intake cleaning as well as an ECU reset... can't hurt the car with that even if you wanted to, as for mods i never heard of any bad effects from things like removing the resonator or bigger spark plug leads and stuff like that.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Thats whats making me wonder about it,
I think it does have something to do with the ECU.
A friend of mine reset it a while ago (a few months back... maybe even more), and since then it hasnt been the same.

It was all ok until one day i was driving and it lost power and wouldnt accelerate.
It would suck air in, but it wasnt doing anything with it and it was revving in short, deep sounding bursts.
Someone who was there at the time said it was fuel starvation...
Since then its been a re-occuring problem. Sort of on and off. Usually injector cleaner and a bit of a rest will fix it.

But lately its everytime i drive, within 20minutes or so it will start doing it. Usually between shifts and usually it bunny hops just before it starts struggling as it does.

Im leaning more towards an ECU problem, coz when i start the car, the engine starts, thats it.
The dash board lights, dash board clock, engine temp guage and the seatbelt warning signal wont activate until i give the car a rev. The headlights are usually pretty dim untill i rev it aswell.
Its been that way since the ECU was first reset.

I just dont know what could be causing it.
I use BP ultimate fuel (apparently the best stuff in OZ), just got new spark plugs, new leads, new ignition module, oil flush n filter and the fuel filter was changed back in november/december 05.

So im thinkin that maybe:
1) the car is overheating and its screwing around with the ECU (its getting pretty hot under there lately, and it usually happens after the car has been driven for a bit)
2) the ECU has finally reached breaking point since my mate reset it
3) the idle screw thingy that i fucked around with is messing up the ECU telling it to do silly stuff
4) bad clutch, casuing the car to stall/bunny hop, possibly causing it to start mis-firing (car seems less likely to do it when i keep the revs up and drive a bit faster than im really allowed)

Im gona boycott this car pretty soon
:(
Thanks for your help guys...

EDIT:
Also, when the car starts losing power or whatever it is, the CEL is flashing... Not sure what that means tho...
I.O.U
1 x signature
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Mark, this weekend we'll try and catch up with you (me and Tim), and we'll have a bit of a look.

Hit me up on MSN or something, I'll pm you my address.
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
Quebecois

Post by Quebecois »

I have exactly the same problem here, can be caused by fuel contamined with water ? The problem appeared this spring, with hotter temperatures (around zero degree C)
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

So what your saying is that water has somehow found its way into my fuel tank?
Its an on and off problem... the car is driveable for a short while, then i get CEL, then the car starts losing all its power/not getting fuel or whatever it is when i accelerate.
If i give the car a rest, it will fix up, only to happen again once i start driving.
Its strange...
If it was water in the fuel, how would i fix it?

EDIT:
I just read a post by a couple of threads down about hearing a tapping sound in the engine bay when its runnin.
My leads are new, but my car has always done this. My friend said it was the injectors opening and closing or something like that...
I.O.U
1 x signature
Quebecois

Post by Quebecois »

I dont know ... maybe water start mixing with fuel when we drive. It can be caused by my faulty EGR system too i think. Or my CMP sensor (obd code P0342) ... I dont realy know what appening to my car,
Joso
Super

Post by Joso »

Quebecois wrote:I have exactly the same problem here, can be caused by fuel contamined with water ? The problem appeared this spring, with hotter temperatures (around zero degree C)
0?C hot? It's the temperature at wich water turns itself ice under some given conditions!! I would'nt call it hot.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Mark K wrote: the car is driveable for a short while, then i get CEL, then the car starts losing all its power/not getting fuel or whatever it is when i accelerate.
Get the CEL scanned at Holden or a local mechanic. They'll tell you what the code is and you can take it from there.

That loss of power is just the ECU going into limp mode to try and protect the engine...

Maybe its a sensor like the crank or cam angle that is on its way out?

--Tim
Quebecois

Post by Quebecois »

Joso wrote:
Quebecois wrote:I have exactly the same problem here, can be caused by fuel contamined with water ? The problem appeared this spring, with hotter temperatures (around zero degree C)
0?C hot? It's the temperature at wich water turns itself ice under some given conditions!! I would'nt call it hot.
Relatively hot sorry ... temperadure drop about -35 degree C in February and January here.
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

ubuyau wrote:
Mark K wrote: the car is driveable for a short while, then i get CEL, then the car starts losing all its power/not getting fuel or whatever it is when i accelerate.
Get the CEL scanned at Holden or a local mechanic. They'll tell you what the code is and you can take it from there.

That loss of power is just the ECU going into limp mode to try and protect the engine...

--Tim
Now THAT i actually understand.

Makes perfect sense, i never would have thought that the car was actually dieing on purpose to protect itself.
Looks like theres hope afterall :D
Thanks heaps Tim, and everyone else (once again :oops: )

Mark

EDIT:
Ok booked in at Ultratune for friday morning...
Just around the corner from mine so at least i know it wont kark it on the way :lol:
I.O.U
1 x signature
Robot

Re: Should i try resetting my ECU? AND engine ventilation Q..

Post by Robot »

did you find out what caused this problem ? my car is doing exactly the same