Intake Air Temp sensor

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

darkspeed415

Intake Air Temp sensor

Post by darkspeed415 »

I just custom fitted an AEM CAI to my Lanos hatch 1.6. everything is hooked up except for the air temp sensor. i just have it sitting on top of the shock tower. The way i set up the intake is i have the piping in two separate peices coupled together. now i might be able to make a hole in the coupling and put the sensor in there, but i have to extend the wires for the sensor. can i do that?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sure..... the air intake sensor is nothing special.... just a resistor that changes it's resistance with respect to temperature.

You should be able to clip the sensor wire in the middle and add individual wires.

Don't even think of simply twisting the wires together and wrapping them in electrical tape..... you could have a number of things happen if those wires touch each other or touch the grounded engine anywhere. (unless you feel like spending a pile of cash for a new ECU/PCM )

You should connect them with an insulated crimp on connector.... it will look like a small blue tube about 3/16" in diameter and about 1" long.

I don't know if you have used them before but they typically require a crimping tool to make rock solid crimps.

If your not familiar with electronics I suggest you take it to someone who does (such as someone who installs stereo systems for a living)

I hope this answers your questions..... I have no idea what kind of electrical experience you have so let me know if you need pictures or want more info.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

What he is talking about is called a Butt Splice. They are very good if crimped properly.

For myself however I would just solder the two wires together and use some liquid electrical tape. That pretty much makes it the same as the insulated jacket on the wires anyways.

Or... you can use a cheater and set the AIT sensor to whatever resistance you want to trick the ECU into adding more fuel than it normally would. OZ would be able to give more info and I know Exiled Chris has been working on a few ideas.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

my car already gets below 23 mpg, i dont need it to be any worse...
Mike

Post by Mike »

I tried adding several different resistors to the IAT sensor. All it did was make it slower everytime.

I think these things run pretty rich anyway, if anything I think giving it less fuel will help it out.
-Mike

2000 Lanos automatic (traded in)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

i ended up just drilling a hole in the 2 1/2" to 3" adapter connected to the throttle body. works fine. i also stepped the PCV tube; the Lanos one is huge and the fitting on the AEM pipe was for a Prelude, tiny. ours is like 3/4" and the Honda peice is more like 1/2" i just got some flexible PVC/rubber tubing and jammed it all on top of each other. nice and airtight.
SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

Post by SuperDuperDaewoo »

Post a pic of that mod please.
If you don't have a Woo, You don't have a clue!
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

will do.