coolant leak

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lostinconformiti

coolant leak

Post by Lostinconformiti »

so my dads car is leaking coolant. but im not sure if its the thermostat or the coolant pump? it is leaking from the side of the engine with the timing belt and serpentine belt. is that the coolant pump or the thermostat (this is my fathers car so i can only describe what he has told me tell i look at it tomorrow). well let me know guys so i can get it replaced since me and him are trading cars this week. thanks.
soon to have my daewoo back on the road.
Aneab
Expert

Re: coolant leak

Post by Aneab »

Lostinconformiti wrote:so my dads car is leaking coolant. but im not sure if its the thermostat or the coolant pump? it is leaking from the side of the engine with the timing belt and serpentine belt. is that the coolant pump or the thermostat (this is my fathers car so i can only describe what he has told me tell i look at it tomorrow). well let me know guys so i can get it replaced since me and him are trading cars this week. thanks.
I think that's the pump, wait for someone else to reply though...

~Kyle
a woo that is a work in progress
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what car is it and what engine you got under your hood??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

First guess is Pump as well.

Have a feel about the bottom of the pulleys to see if they are lashed in Coolant. Remember coolant will flow across surfaces under the engine via gravity etc,... so it could be leaking at the other side!!

ENGINE OFF !!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

if its a 1.5 sohc then this could be confused with a thermostate housing leak... the housing is placed above the water pump and when the thermostate gasket deterorates the housing leaks and coolant drops right on the water pump till it hit the ground... the untraned eye might confuse this with a water pump leak so be careful during the inspection.

if you want to test the leak, turn on the engine and let it idle till the coolant fans kick on, once they did that tun off the engine... at this point the engine is very hot and the cooling system is not defusing the heat through the radiator as the cooling fans are off so the water temp keeps rising and put more pressure on your cooling system and leaks become more and more evedent.

don't worry, that will not hurt the car at all as the reservoir cap got a blow off valve to release extra pressure if too much pressure builds up inside the cooling system. i also heard that some lanoses keep the cooling fans running even with the ignition off so if you got that watch out for your fingers, if the fans kicked on they can cut your fingers.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Lostinconformiti

Post by Lostinconformiti »

its a leganza with the 2.2l dohc
soon to have my daewoo back on the road.