Chipping ECUs

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ubuyau
Expert

Chipping ECUs

Post by ubuyau »

With Nissan having Bikirom and Honda having everything (Uberdata, crome, hondata, etc) - have we got anything comparable for the Woo ECU's to flash and chip ourselves?
The idea of spending $2kAU on a full piggyback fuel and spark ECU installed and tuned seems a bit much...

If its not been done yet... we need a guinea pig! WootechROM has a good ring :smt038

--Tim
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Bump! No one?

I might be in the market for a spare ecu then.....

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no idea... sorry man.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

just piggy back it man...

smt6
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

I remember when I took one of my cars to an airfield, the guy flipped out the ROM from the ECU, and plugged his crap-top computer into the socket via some cabling wizzardry!.

He used the data lines of the ROM to read an array which was running dynamically in the memory of his Lap-top, and changed bits to change the motors ECU data! This software is available if you crawl the net!

Remembering there is only so much you can do to the ECU for your money. It will never be a Cosworth Engine!

It is ok doing mods, but its the writing to permanent which is the hard part. I know the ROM on the Lanos is a bit of a strange one to copy, mod, and re-write. Some ECU's use ASIC interfaces to prevent adjustments to the Mapped memory, and if you do mod it, keep the orig ROM. in case your new one is a bad one.

Some guys I know actually switch between normal ROM, and adjusted ROM's depending upon what they are "Doing"!!

In my estimation at present... I go to a tuner, who has all the kit, and knowledge/expertise. It worked out cheaper at present. I just talk with them to get what I want done.

Some kits to p/back can be "Lemons" you know!!

Just a thought!
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

APEXi SAFC

TurboXS DTEC-FC

HKS SUPER AFR

GReddy Emanage

you got many options

for timing control i have no idea
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

smt 6 has timing controll and AF ratio controll as well. i still have yet to install my smt6 (it's not too hard i'm just a bit lazy ass)

but i know of a v6 camry guy who is using a honda i forgot what brand it was, but it's an aftermarket fully tunable unit.

i know he is using a gm, crank sensor and for igintion a mds, blah blah blah with enough adjustment and custom parts you can make anything work is my point.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I was looking for fuel and spark control... But something like a Microtech was going to be crazy expensive ($2kAU installed and tuned).

Im more looking for a way to control the timing (sure i know you have MSD Boost dependant one - but its like using a RRFPR for fuel control). The SAFC type of piggybacks for fuel only wouldnt cut it - especially with the advanced timing issue when you start chopping back the signal...

The SMT6 looks suitable. All the right features, but i thought i could do it cheaper by writing a new ROM chip if the tools/software was available. You look at all the honda guys running chipped ECU with uberdata, etc and i though - they do that so cheap and have so much control!

Just thought i'd ask, I couldnt find anything when i was researching so thought i'd ask our community of experts! Oh well, its time i had another project ;)

--Tim
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I like the SMT6 as well.... I have one on order as well.

I have the MSD Programmable DIS-2 system like DomWoo..... it allows you to build maps through a laptop..... all kinds of soft rev limiters and boost/nitrous functions.

So when you hit the nitrous button.... it autmaticly retards the timing to your specified levels.

I can't remember the model number.... 6212?? not sure.... I'm at work and the unit is at home.

You can allways use a differnt ECU to run your system like Efrain did..... he's using Hondata if I remember correctly.

I guess it depends on how handy you are with wiring
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

megasquirt yo... 300 bucks and you are good to go :D
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

Dude try some of then at their own web site like microtech. fast,halltech,sakura,electrmotive,motec those will control what you are looking for ..... :D
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

joseanevo wrote:Dude try some of then at their own web site like microtech. fast,halltech,sakura,electrmotive,motec those will control what you are looking for ..... :D
I was looking at the Microtech - got quoted $2k installed and tuned by a local shop. I know aftermarket piggybacks are expensive, but i just didnt feel like parting with that much cash :lol:

Just trying to find a better (cheaper) way! :badgrin:

--Tim
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I've seen on eBay some of the normal e-Manage units (not the Ultimate) going for about $500AU +shipping including the emanage unit and optional injector harness and timing harness.

I have looked at this - it'll probably suit my application also... I know a few guys have run this on the Daewoo, but have they run the injector and timing harness too or just the AFC MAP hack?

--Tim
Audacity Racing
moron

no one likes the megasquirt :cry: :cry: