Ok im really starting to hate my car...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Mark K

Ok im really starting to hate my car...

Post by Mark K »

I really really am...

I tried taking off down the street yesterday, and as soon as i put it in 2nd, the car sort of locked up and jumped... then was struggling to keep the engine running. It was studdering, shaking and idleing really badly.

I managed to get it home, then later get some fuel system cleaner (Nulon brand... in a grey bottle).
I put that stuff in and it seemed to be fine after that.

Its sounding a bit weak today though, and on my way to work, between shifting from 3rd to 4th, it studdered a bit and i saw a big puff of blueish grey smoke from the back.
I thought it mite have been my injectors or fuel pump... but the smoke is what has me worried now.
Would anyone have any idea of what this is?

Thanks,
Mark
I.O.U
1 x signature
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

blue smoke = oil, you probley need a head gasket

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what does your coolant and engine oil look like??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

it could also be piston rings, or (i had this problem) oil leaking from the rocker gasket and into the cylinders through your spark plugs
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
BlackleR
Junior

Post by BlackleR »

The studdering could possibly be bad spark plugs, or faulty spark leads ( Im a rookie with cars but what ur describing is what happened to my car ) Except the puffs of smoke :P Oh to test if its the spark leads you can start the car then pull it off slightly and if u hear/see sparks on each one u know its not the spark leads but it could be the spark plugs or it might be neither but im just trying to help :P
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

well my cam position sensor has a low siganl out put and my car does a similar studdering problem, now the smoke I have no idea on. hope this helps
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Im not looking foreward to taking it to the mechanic... family friend or not, i can see it being a fairly expensive problem...

Ill just ask him to go over the whole thing, check everything possible and see what happens.
I have a feeling its all relative to the issues with the computer i posted about a short time ago...
:(

Thanks again,

Mark
I.O.U
1 x signature
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

woo wrote:it could also be piston rings, or (i had this problem) oil leaking from the rocker gasket and into the cylinders through your spark plugs
Hmmm...
I took off the oil cap after it died on me yesterday and there was white smoke coming out (not too much of it, but white smoke none the less...) ive heard that this is a bad thing?

The rocker gasket is fairly new actually... is it the same thing as the tapper (or tappet?) cover gasket?
If so, then that was replaced in december along with new belts.

I took it to the mechanic thinking that was the head gasket, he came back n said the head gasket was fine. The i showed him what i was talking about n he said that was the tapper cover (or something like that).
I.O.U
1 x signature
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

the tappet gaskey and the rocker gasket are the same thing, ehat car do you have? the gasket for my leganza cost $32
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Ok so i went down to my car afterwork on friday and checked under the engine bay...

The engine had exhumed oil, out through the intake pipe and is now a neat little puddle under the air filter.

I asked a friend about it and he told me its most likely silicone rings... and will probly cost around $1500 to get fixed.

poo
I.O.U
1 x signature
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the valve cover (or rocker cover as you call it) will not cause it to smoke, i think its the head gasket. how did your mechanic come to the conclusion that the head gasket is good? did he do a compression test?????? ask him how he checked it , if he didnt do a compression test heve him do one. if air leaks in to the oil then its your rings, if i leaks into the coolant its a head gasket, if i leaks out the muffler its the exhaust valves, if it leaks out the intake manifold its intake valves, good luck and keep us posted!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Mark K wrote:I asked a friend about it and he told me its most likely silicone rings... and will probly cost around $1500 to get fixed.
Silicon rings?????

I have absolutely No idea what he's talking about.

Perhaps it's a damaged cylinder head (crack) and you are getting oil squirting into the intake port on one of the cylinders..... this would cause blue smoke... it would also cause oil to build up in the intake and possibly the smoke might have been from oil cooking on the intake valve.

A compression test would come back good in a case like this but give you similar problems to that of a leaking head gasket.

If you dumped a whole pile of oil into the cylinder it would create some serious issues.... if there was enough oil it could even cause damage to the connecting rods (very similar to sucking in water )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

maybe the intake valve guides are too warn out and leaking oil into the intake and thus getting burned and make that blue smoak.

no idea whats a "silicon rings" at all... never heard of it.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Ok well we think we've found the problem... or problems.

It was overfilled with oil and basically everything in there was clogged up. Or something along those lines.
Also, the valve on the rocker cover that connects to the pipe that in turn connects to the intake pipe, is most likely broken.

In about an hour or so we're gona do an engine flush and change the oil, then probly head down to the mechanic andlook into a new valve.
I.O.U
1 x signature