Eating gas

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woodae
Super

Eating gas

Post by woodae »

I have a Lanos 1.5 SOHC and it seems to be a pig on gas a REAL Gas eater, my brain tells me that a 1.5L shouldn't be harder on gas then a 2002 maxima, my Girlfriend has the maxima and when I drive it its seems to be better on gas then my car. I was thinking maybe I should swap her engine into my car. At first I thought it was one of my two oxy sensors and I noticed that one had a cable broke so I was happy, problem fixed. Nope hardly made a difference, then number two, I had my car runing and I saw gas pouring out of the feul rail. Fixed I thought, but I replaced the feul rail with a spare one from my spare engine. Again I thought I fixed the problem, gas was leaking out of that one too. Damn never going to be on top. So I took JB weld and fixed that problem. Nope didn't really change the gas eating problem. What do I do????????? I have run out of ideas, my CEL light is on but I figured it was because of my warm ram air intake, I just like the sound and the small take off performance. So I was wondering if there are any solutions or am I geussing wrong, that my car should be easy on gas. I was also thinking that since my check engine light is on the the ram air is making it consume alot more gas. Is there anyway to check the oxygen sensors. And I geuss the big thing I should do is ask how many km's people get to a tank of gas. Also has anyone else had a problem like this. I know for sure that my CEL is for e-vac I am sure I don't know the code for sure but I could find out if any body wants to know. My car has the grounding cables hooked(battery to boby and body to engine) and a half decent 12inch pounder with 900 watts backing it up. infinity 6*9's and thats the only upgrades to my car, small stuff for now. Help me out I am past frustrated and really can't afford gas at this rate. I would be happy if speed came with it but no luck there thanks guys.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

for the past 5000 kms i was averaging 24MPG with that same engine and i drive hard.

get the car scaned to see whats the CEL is about... RAM air intake shouldn't trigger a CEL.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
woodae
Super

i hope so

Post by woodae »

i hope that it is the oxygen sensor allthought they are not cheap thats better then spending tons on gas
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

Restriction in the Exhuast, or slightly collapsed Silencer insides?!?!?, Binding Brakes?!?!? But CEL is a good starting point, get the code read out, and look it up, it could well be it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

guys for any diagnosis we need some basic data first to help us understand the problem such as:

1- car/engine/tranny type.
2- kms/miles on the car.
3- ignition system serviced kms (spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack).
4- fuel system serviced kms (injectors, filter, pump).
5- air filter serviced kms.
6- engine mods list if available.
7- exact discription for the problem.
8- associated charactristics for the problem (when car hot, goes over 60 mph, turning left, A/C on,etc...)
9- CEL status (on, off, blinking) and prefferably the DTC code you got after the OBD scan in case the CEL is on/blinking.
10- any recent engine service done even if it is a very routine one.

afterwards pointing to the problem will be miles easyer than speculating within the bazilion reasons why a car misbehaves.

MMamdouh
woodae
Super

ok

Post by woodae »

odb 2 reading said the code was 0141 bank 1 sensor 2 heater circuit
my car is a Lanos 1.5L SOHC its auto, With 131000kms on the body and a new engine with 31000kms,
i got the car and saw the head gasket was bad so i told the guy that was selling the car to find me an engine and i will buy it. I actually told him to find me a headgasket head but he found me and engine for $700. So $1500 for the body and spare engine he thought the engine was blown because he checked for compression and said it was low. Then he took the head off and couldn't find the problem, i looked at it and i could see where the head gasket was blowing by and the plug was snow white. So I got a spare engine with 100000kms on it lots of spare parts.
So the only upgrades or short ram air, grounded it out, and thats it.
I replaced the feul rail once and that the only major stuff. I haven't changed the plugs yet but I geuss since i am not driving it i should. Could anybody tell me what a 1.5l SOHC takes the highest rated plugs.
feul filter was never changed since i had it so 31 000kms probably alot more.
The engine light is on all the time, its crazy hard on gas.
the car has been hard on gas since i put the new engine in.
I put the car in the ditch and a tree went thru my radiator so i got a new rad and flushed the cooling system out. When the car went in the ditch the wires ripped off of the oxygen sensor, the one after CAT. I was going to ask my father to fix the wire because thats his thing electronics. But stupid cocky me fixed it my self knowing only how to heat shrink it on. I didn't check for voltage out of any of the wires. I am a mechanic but only small engines for about six months. Then I lost use of my right arm, I love know how things work but I am very bad with my hand now, so i really need to know what i need to do exactly to practice on something else. Thanks guys
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

if the ECU sees that the O2 sensor is bad then this will affect fuel consumption indeed.

i recon in that case the fail safe plane is to make the mixture too rich and consume more fuel...it is better than making it lean and blow the engine and since the ECU can't tell how rich or lean it is it will make it rich as crazy.

i say fix your O2 sensor issues, reset the ECU then check for the gas consumption.

are you sure it is fuel consumption rather than fuel leak?? check your fuel lines and connections for leaking... best to do that is with the pump putting pressure into the system so i'd do the check right after i turn off the engine.

keep us posted.

MMamdouh
woodae
Super

still don't know what to do

Post by woodae »

where do i start tho i don't know where to go from where i am does that code mean my oxygen sensor is bad i conected the wires and that code is still there ??????
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

if the CEL is still their even after you connected the O2 sensor then the sensor is bad and needs replacment.

MMamdouh
woodae
Super

before i rule it out

Post by woodae »

i think i am going to do the oxygen sensor test with a meter to see if its it for sure might be a bad connection
BlackleR
Junior

Post by BlackleR »

My car uses alot of gas too, i put ?40 in which filled up the tank, and it lasted me 5 days. I do race it and do alot of hand break turns which may be to do with it eatin gas. However i have found with my daewoo, if u rev the engine it takes a few seconds for the revs to come down, as with other cars it goes down as soon as u take your foot off the pedal. Anyone know if this is normal for a daewoo or just mine ? :p
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

fuel comsumption is directly related to the driving style... when i was younger and driving like crazy my fuel consumption on my 1.5 SOHC was more than what a 2.0 DOHC uses when driven in resonable way.

MMamdouh
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

The engine slows down from hi rpm slowly to ensure all fuel in the engine is burnt for emission control. It is actively controlled by the Idle Speed controller, and any excess fuel in the inlet manifold etc. no worries, its normal.

I got a 1.5 Lanos, and I dont have a second O2 sensor, where in the world are you?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

he's from canada, so he has two o2's
BlackleR
Junior

Post by BlackleR »

I just got told a possible reason for useing so much gas, is maybe the choke stays on as we have automatic chokes, and it is a common problem. So it could possibly that so i will check that out this weekend and get back to u :)