Need to go to 5 lug from 4

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Need to go to 5 lug from 4

Post by kinkyllama »

I know there was recently a post about this but I have my own questions. I need to go to 5x114.3 from 4x114.3.. is this possible with keeping saftly. Im sure I can get something custom made but I rather be able to get somthing already around.

The reason I have to go to 5 lug is I cant find any 18x8.5" rims in 4 lug... at all. I've looked at all of Rotas, konigs, enkeis, and a few others... and nothing. I found a couple that were 4x100 though.

Anyways I need to know my options.. im looking into getting a wide body but the wheels are killing my pocket and my eyes (cant find any!).

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
ooobiserooo
Junior

Post by ooobiserooo »

sory for ya dude! That was my story!

If i would count wotes on what to do... it would be 95% FIND THE 4LUG weels!
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

wouldnt it involve changing your hubs and brakes to that of a camry (114.3 x 5) or a 200sx or the like??
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

woo wrote:wouldnt it involve changing your hubs and brakes to that of a camry (114.3 x 5) or a 200sx or the like??
I dunno.. i dont know anything about that stuff thats why i'm asking

ooobiserooo wrote:sory for ya dude! That was my story!

If i would count wotes on what to do... it would be 95% FIND THE 4LUG weels!
Thats the problem.. I cant use 4 lug.. ive only found two different wheels in the width I need that are my bolt pattern but they arnt liteweight
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

now my question is are the 18's for racing or cruising? if its for racing i wouldn't go over 17's and you should be able to find 17x8 b/c that would just slow you down a bit b/c of the drastic increase in size. if your just looking for wider rims then just get fatter tires. like if you have 7.5" rims get tires for 8" rims. if its for cruising then who cares about the weight.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

lanos2001 wrote:now my question is are the 18's for racing or cruising? if its for racing i wouldn't go over 17's and you should be able to find 17x8 b/c that would just slow you down a bit b/c of the drastic increase in size. if your just looking for wider rims then just get fatter tires. like if you have 7.5" rims get tires for 8" rims. if its for cruising then who cares about the weight.

nick
They would be for both street and track. They need to be that width both to fill the wheel wells and to fit the tires. Fitting the widdest or wider tires on a the smallest rim possible hurts handling... although with 18s the tires would be so low profile I dont think it'd matter.

I gotta start looking into tires again.. last year they had the tires I needed in 18" wheel but now im having trouble finding what I need so Im gonna have to revise my search. I might actually end up getting two sets of wheels, if I can afford it. Either way I didnt see anything bigger than 17x8 in the right bolt pattern and I could fit those with only rolling the fenders so there would be no point in a wide bodyied kit (other than looks).

If I end up going two sets of wheels again I'd want 18s for the street and 17s would probably be ideal for the track... although 16s would be good with race tires since the sidewalls usually stiffer
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Simmons FTW!

3-piece, lightweight...

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/faqs.html
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

cpd wrote:Simmons FTW!

3-piece, lightweight...

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/faqs.html
I wish I could get pricing without calling and weight

But Im sure those are outta my price range... 3p wheels like that can easily be a couple grand each

thanks though!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

the 300zx and the 240sx both have 4 x 115 wheels, i promise there are 8.5's out there without having to have a foundry make you a set of hubs :roll: :idea:
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

woo wrote:wouldnt it involve changing your hubs and brakes to that of a camry (114.3 x 5) or a 200sx or the like??
if your getting 18" rims go with the supra, 17-15" go with the v6 camry with abs, 14" i4 camry with abs, 13 go with the corolla. also those figures are for 92-01. in 01 they change the size so anything less than 15 wount work, and the v6 is 16" +.

also to convert to that your talking ALOT of work, i seen the undercarage of the daewoo and i work all the time on a camry and i can tell you your in a good job.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

Audacityracing wrote:the 300zx and the 240sx both have 4 x 115 wheels, i promise there are 8.5's out there without having to have a foundry make you a set of hubs :roll: :idea:
The problem with both those cars though is that they are rear wheel drive, and would stick the wheels wayy to out from the fenders to be even remotely reasonable.I dont know if you have been looking this way, but many models of wheels in the sizes you are looking for are often times dual drilled. So they will fit both 4-100/4-114.3.

When working at the tire store if i did a search for only 4-114.3, not many styles or sizes came up. But i would always double or triple my my search results wheen looking for "dual drilled" wheels.

Unfortunately, you will notice a big drop in acceleration going taller and wider, and the bigger wheels will *Always* weigh more. You would negate some of the power increases you have paid money for by doing this.

I know from reading your past posts that you're well versed in racing suspension. My suggestion would be to find the lightest and widest wheel and tire combo for your car (215-45-16 on a 7" wide wheel), with as little offset as will fit (widening your trackwidth), then fine tuning your suspension.

My reasoning is this, you will pick up acceleration with a lighter wheel/tire combo with less unsprung rotating mass. Dropping the over all diameter will help with this also (dont drop much though). Matching up ideal tire to wheel width ratio will gain you more of an advantage traction wise then trying to fit sizes that slowdown your turning response. Then you really get to benefit from things like learning to properly corner weight your car, experimenting w/ camber settings, among many other things i am neglecting to mention.

I can tell you for sure that you woud be very unhappy with really really wide tires. It would make your car steer much worse than it does now. Especially round town.

I know big wheels look cool, but they dont provide a competitive edge unless you have big power. If you find a relative wide wheel you like and you're not happy with the amount of track it provides, you can always get a machined-to-fit spacer made for it.

Also, of you havent read this book, i highly reccommend it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091265 ... e&n=283155

Hope my rambling helps a bit
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I'm just going to all the wheels sites I know of and like and looking through there wheels in 17x8-9" and 18x8-9" with my bolt pattern. Im wanting to still stay under 20lbs which isnt bad.. my 17s are about 21lbs and I dont notice a huge different going between them and my smaller 13lbs wheels.

I know about all these issues.

The reason im going with a wide bodyied kit is for looks and some extra traction. I dont need to worry about the extra rotation mass or weight of the wheels as I'll be making well over 200whp on the track.. with plans to improve that in the near future.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Why dony you put leganza wheel bus abd disk???

I will change my nubi to 5 lughts in two weeks... leganza is 5x114
ImageImage
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

are the leganza disks smaller though???? you dont want to compromise stopping power if you dont need to
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

The leganza disk is a little bigger than the nubira or forenza. no proble indeed
ImageImage