First timer on rotor replacement

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

emiller426

First timer on rotor replacement

Post by emiller426 »

Hello, I am new to the site.

My Lanos has warped rotors after 15k miles. Whenever I hit the brakes it pulsates and shakes the steering wheel like crazy.

I am going to order a set of replacement OEM rotors and some new brake pads. Can someone tell me if swapping in the new rotors is a difficult task? I have never had to replace rotors on any of my vehicles before so this would be my first time at rotors. I would really like to do this myself and save the $$$ as the dealer wants way too much to do it.

Is it as simple as removing the calipers, a few bolts for the rotors and swapping in the new ones or is there a good deal more to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Changing your rotors is easy as pie..... you basicly described the entire process.... two caliper bolts and one bolt on the rotor.

You must ensure that the lug bolts are installed in the correct patter with the correct torque levels.

Your factory manual should show you both the pattern and the correct torque levels.....if not let me know and I will look them up for you.

If you don't do this you will warp the rotors again.

Most people don't realize there is a very specific pattern to follow and end up torquing them way harder than they are supposed to.

Wheel nut torque should be done with a torque wrench.... don't just yank on the factory supplied lug wrench until you think it's tight.

You should also re-torque your lug bolts after a week or so after doing the work to ensure they are still torqued correctly.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

If I can add a note to what Erfinder already wrote - make sure there is no foreign material on the hubs' mating surface with the rotor - make sure you remove all the rust and other debris with a wire brush. You may torque all the bolts properly, but if there is a foreign material between the rotor and the hub, the rotor will not sit properly and as a result its rotation will not be true.

My 5 cents :lol:

Post by emiller426 »

Thanks to you both for your quick replies!

I will check my manual tomorrow to see if the pattern and torque #s are there.

Any recommendation on a good place to buy replacement rotors? I have found some on Brakeworld.com and a few other places. Was considering maybe not going with OEM rotors and possibly a drilled/slotted design after looking around today. Just want to make sure I get a good set of replacement rotors that will hopefully last longer than the factory ones. My wife drives the car mainly and basically babies the thing, a lot of stop and go city driving though.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Check Ebay, get a set of rotors for like $90
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
emiller426

Post by emiller426 »

I also noticed while checking out tirerack.com on the brake pads that there are different types depending on a before and after a certain VIN#.

Looks like I am going to get the Brembo Replacement rotors ($48 each)and the standard pads ($30 per axle set) off of tirerack.com
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

emiller426 wrote:I also noticed while checking out tirerack.com on the brake pads that there are different types depending on a before and after a certain VIN#.

Looks like I am going to get the Brembo Replacement rotors ($48 each)and the standard pads ($30 per axle set) off of tirerack.com
Yeah I ordered my brake pads from tirerack. I got them in a few days which was pretty nice. I got the $80 EBC Green Stuff pads tho.

emiller426

Post by emiller426 »

OK...

Have the rotors and brakes now, going to install them tomorrow.

The manual had the lug pattern as being an "X". What I cannot find is the torque #s for the lugs. Anyone have that info? I want to make sure everything is torqued right so these rotors have a less likely chance of warping.

Thanks again for all the help!
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

hey what's up. I just noticed that you live like 3 hours from me. If you feel like making a road trip I can give ya a hand and I have a garage to work in. We can probably knock off both sides in about an hour or two.

emiller426

Post by emiller426 »

I may take you up on that. Will probably be looking at doing it some time next week. Have a lot going on this week and I am headed up to Canada for the weekend. I'm sure I shouldn't run into any problems, this will be my 3rd install but my first on a Daewoo. I am used to working on Mopars, my wife runs the Daewoo.

Do you know at what torque those lugs need tightened to?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

no I don't know it, All I do is tighten them up until they get snug, take it back a lil. Then be sure to check them in a few days.

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I have always used a torque wrench and matched all 4 lugs to 65 ft lbs. My Hyundai Excel called for that, so I just carried over that torque setting to my Lanos, which so far has not given me any problems.

I bought the 1/2" drive torque wrench from Harbor Freight and it has been great. Best of all, it is only $9.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... number=239

For $11.99 they have an 12 piece, deep wall impact socket set, too, which works perfactly with the torque wrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... umber=7383

Cliff
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

hmmm Harbor Freight... damn I love that store...