klunky shifting and jerking

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tgs2101_765

klunky shifting and jerking

Post by tgs2101_765 »

Our 2002 Daewoo Lanos 5 speed shifts jerky or klunky from 1st to 3rd, then short of smooths out between 4th and 5th gear shifting. Anyone know what causes this? It sort of feels like there is play in the flywheel or something, is the best I can explain it.

I checked the motor mounts and they appear to be ok. I'm not sure if sloppy shifting is a tell tale sign of a bad throw out bearing, or something to do with the flywheel and clutch.

We bought the car with 47K miles on it. It's clean and drives great. This is our only problem with it. It gets about 35mpg.

Thanks,

Tom
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Are you skipping 2nd gear?
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

replace your transmission fluid with synthetic then update

Poor transmission shift: The shifter may vibrate at high engine RPMs and is repaired with a counterweight.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

check tranny fluid... how many miles do you have on the clutch?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
tgs2101_765

Post by tgs2101_765 »

I got a chilton manual for this car from the library, but it isn't very informative.

where is the drain plug, and fill hole for this manual transmission? I'll try the 75W synthetic oil, and report back.

Today I discovered that the drivers side upper strut mount is broke, and the bearing for that side is damaged too. I can move the rotor back and forth and the CV axle moves back and forth too. Waiting on the parts to do that.

Thanks for your reply's. I need to look for a post or start one on the timing belt project too.

Tom
tgs2101_765

Post by tgs2101_765 »

MMamdouh,

I don't know how many miles are on this clutch. but I can tell you that the car was in West Virginia mountains and I have never seen so much mudd caked under a car. 1/4 to 1/2 inch all underneath. Given this info, I would say it was driven hard and spun out a lot.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

their is no drain plug for the tranny... you got to remove its pan and hince will need a new gasket for it. the fill plug is on the top of the tranny case next to the shifting mechanism... the plug is plastic to don't go hard on it and the tranny takes up to 1.8 liter of fluid.

better wash the carr well as it will make it much easyer to see if something is broke, leaking or so.

MMamdouh
ooobiserooo
Junior

Post by ooobiserooo »

i had the same problem on my prev car! the gearbox got wasted by my angry/hard/fast shifting!! i hope that this is not your problem!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i got a little jerking while engaging 2nd gear when it is really cold... problem goes away when things warm up a bit, is that due to too thick tranny fluid or are the syncro for the 2nd gear worn out?

MMamdouh
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

my aveo does the same thing. its just cold gear oil. when it warms up it will smooth out
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

any ideas on how to avoid that? any recommended oil grade for the tranny? its kinda annoying to have this issue.

MMamdouh