American places to get computer diagnostics done?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

dog wrote:I have the code book and can walk you threw doing it with out a scanner if you can't get any co-op. Its not that hard.
we have the code book on the forum ;) , but the CMP sensor is a recall on the lanos... it's guaranteed to mess up
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay cool... well that's a relief. I found a dealership about 40 minutes away that still services Daewoo's... I assume I should call them and tell them what is wrong and try to schedule a time with them for them to fix the recalled part for free? :D
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

yeah pretty much
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

i took my car to the dealer and they told me that my sensor wasnt in the same lot.
so i had to buy the sensor.
waaaa waaaaaaa
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--custom intake (short ram)
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--port and polished intake manifold
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
http://www.myspace.com/txhtownxt
naznomad
Junior

Do they do it free of charge?

Post by naznomad »

Do these places hook up the code reader and tell you the code without charging you for it?
My CEL is on too,so maybe i could try the local Checker or Autozone if its free :)

Edit:

Well I went to Checker and asked,he told me they "rent" the tool whereby you pay full price for it and then return it for a refund when you are done. Havent tried any other places yet. I asked him if he could come outside and hook it up,but i had to "rent" it if i wanted to use it. Doh.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

ya all of the auto parts stores around here don't do it for you but they will gladly rent you the OBD II scanner to do it yourself. I took mine to aamco and had it done for free. of course they will try to get you to bring your car in there to have it repaired but screw that!
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

delphis wrote:ya all of the auto parts stores around here don't do it for you but they will gladly rent you the OBD II scanner to do it yourself. I took mine to aamco and had it done for free. of course they will try to get you to bring your car in there to have it repaired but screw that!

LOL,I guess you could always tell them you'll bring it in next week,but dont turn up. Either that or tell them you dont have enough money to repair it
Did they tell you what the code meant or did you have to find out for yourself from somewhere else?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

autozone is free

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

naznomad wrote:
delphis wrote:ya all of the auto parts stores around here don't do it for you but they will gladly rent you the OBD II scanner to do it yourself. I took mine to aamco and had it done for free. of course they will try to get you to bring your car in there to have it repaired but screw that!

LOL,I guess you could always tell them you'll bring it in next week,but dont turn up. Either that or tell them you dont have enough money to repair it
Did they tell you what the code meant or did you have to find out for yourself from somewhere else?
no they actually told me what the code was and I just told them that I would think about it.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

daewoomofo wrote:autozone is free

Yeah I will try them too,maybe i will have more luck with the store here than the poster further up this thread did.Certain stores you get good guys who know their shit and are willing to help,other stores you get monkeys.Just depends
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

I went to Autozone,and they hooked up the OBD-11 reader for me on my 99 Lanos. It read the following 3 codes.
P0133 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0342 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Input

From what i have read in these forums,the P0342 one was subject to a recall. I am not the original owner of the car,can i still get this done under the recall thing,or is it now too late? Even if I can , I don't think there are any Daewoo dealers in my area,so i guess i would have to pay someone to get it done.

I have to get the car smog tested in the next couple of weeks,would any of these codes make the car more likely to fail the smog test?

The car starts and runs fine,no noticable missing/backfiring or anything like that. Hopefully these codes won't cost me too much to get fixed. Anyone had these problems? I have no idea what any of that means,and would like to arm myself with a little knowledge before i take it to the shop (If it turns out i have to)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the O2 sencor being bad could cause it to fail the test, i say get them all fixed befor the test

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

daewoomofo wrote:the O2 sencor being bad could cause it to fail the test, i say get them all fixed befor the test
Well they do re-tests for free anyway,so if it fails first time i can get it fixed then get it re-tested for free ! I suppose if i get the test results,I can show it to my mechanic guy.