1.5i to cielo dohc swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Zydawn

1.5i to cielo dohc swap

Post by Zydawn »

Hi
I have a 95 1.5i and just recently bought a 95 cielo glx that had been rolled.
Initially I got it for the power steering but now would now like to put in the whole engine 4speed tranny susspension drive shaft and even thinking of swapping the front pannels.

does anyone have any idea if I'm gonna have any probs with the wiring or can forsee any complications that are likely to occur

Thanks in advance
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

normally with an engine swap the main concerns are engine mounts and engine bay size.

i don't think you will have engine bay issues so you got to check engine mounts and find out if you need any fabrication work for the new engine.

as for wiring; if you swapped the engine along with its ECU then most probably you won't have any wiring issues.

good luck with your job and post pics for the swap job.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

do you see there been any probs with the transmission
the existing one inthe car is a 3 speed auto but the one Im hoping to put in with the engine is a 4 speed auto?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

again if you swap the ECU with the engine then you won't have problems.

MMamdouh
SoulReaver

Post by SoulReaver »

i was thinking that because the SOHC and DOHC engines both have the same capacity (1498cc) they may be using the same block. If this is the case then i would be keen on just swapping heads, rocker cover etc. Anyone know anything about a conversion like this one?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i got the SOHC 1.5 and i asked the same question before... unfortunatly the DOHC head doesn't fit the SOHC block, it has something to do with oil and\or coolant passages between the head and the block.

can some one that have more experiance with the 1.5 DOHC engine corfirm that??

MMamdouh
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

I know its been a while but last week I removed the engine and atx from the glx cielo including the two ecu (one under the seat and the other in the front quater pannel.
had to remove all the wiring I did initially take note to the connections but gave up so I'm now looking for any pics of an cielo glx 4speed auto and diagrams.
really any hints would be great.

thanks
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Good luck with panels; they'll look kinda funny on a boxier car. :P
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

the pannels woould have looked fine if the car hadn't been rolled it lookes like an identical shell.
but im not changing pannels.
just, engine, auto, struts cv shafts, brakes, power steering and now a lot of wiring.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

MMamdouh wrote:i got the SOHC 1.5 and i asked the same question before... unfortunatly the DOHC head doesn't fit the SOHC block, it has something to do with oil and\or coolant passages between the head and the block.

can some one that have more experiance with the 1.5 DOHC engine corfirm that??

MMamdouh
Mmamdouh what the heck are u talking about...

both sohc and dohc share the same block

the 1.6 is just a bored out 1.5 block

to use the dohc head on a sohc block u need the tensioner and other accessories on the timing belt side of the dohc engine.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

:shock: ... in this case i'd say that my mechanic is talking from his ass for sure... it seems he always do that when it comes to mods and swaps and all, he got high tendancy to keep things just like the OEM settings... thats why he is an excelent mechanic but not a good mod. guy at all,i guess we have to do the thinking when it comes to mods and he just be a tool to make it happen.

in this case a 16 valve head will be a direcrt swap for the 1.5 SOHC... you got to swap the intake and exhaust mani. as well plus the VGIS penumatic gear, will i need to swap the ECU? someone told me that i don't but i can't remeber who... just need a confirmation on that issue as it is a major cost issue for me... and for sure i will use the 1.5 injectors after the swap as i am still with a 1498CC engine... right?

need advice on those issues 'cause it is becomming more tempting to do it rather than a whole 1.6 DOHC engine swap for the following reasons:

-) i will end up with more power @ same fuel consumption rate.
-) better engine breathing and response---> more effecent operation out of the same engine.
-) no registration issues with the authorities as i still using the OEM block.
-) way less labor cost, time and effort to do the job.
-) less risk as you just got to test out the used head rather than testing a whole engine, in a worst case senario i will put my SOHC head back.
-) no messing with the suspension... the 1.6 DOHC version got different front struts and springs than the 1.5 SOHC Lanos.
-) add to that a 2.0 TB and bored intake, CAI and it will be a beast.

having said that... will i nedd to upgrade the brakes on my car if i did that swap?? i already upgraded the wheels and tires but the brakes are still OEM, in other words any one got the brakes specs for the 1.5 DOHC version of the lanos??

any other issues i have to consider during the swap?

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

did a fast search and this is what i got:

you can see on the first pic that it says 1.5/1.6 then all the head parts are the same for both engines... only thing is this is a lanos engine not a nubira engine, in here we got a hand full of 1.6 16valve lanos engines and i hardly doubt that anyone will tear down a perfict engine to give me the head.

if i went for the nubira head i will have a problem in the PWS pump as the nubira head got an engine mount where the PWS should be on the lanos... OK i will remove the mount but are their any holes to bolt the PWS on the head? also the nubira belt cover won't fit due to the same problems.

the second pic is for a 1.5 DOHC without a VGIS... this is the one on old racers and so, right??

MMamdouh
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

hi
was putting in a new timing belt and noticed a loose sound inside the block as I rottated the crankshaft pulley.
not happy tried to remove the rocker cover but cant seem to remove the rocker cover studs.
I tried using two nuts but Im woried I might strip the thread.
how do you take the studs off.
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

does anyone know were I can get the rocker cover studs and washers for the a15mf dohc
there seems to be nothing in Australia.
Zydawn

need help

Post by Zydawn »

after a year I have the engine in and had to settle with the old 3 speed transmission after fixing all the leaks having problems with no spark.
any one have a wiring diagram for a 94 1.5i?
it not the same as the cielo or lanos