Coolant Flush! Easy to do at home or just have a shop do it?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Coolant Flush! Easy to do at home or just have a shop do it?

Post by JohnnyC »

I was thinking I should do a coolant flush in my system. The coolant in there is a little old and is looking like it should be changed out.

1. Is it very difficult to do a coolant flush on a 2000 Lanos?

2. Will I need anything special to do it myself?

3. Is there a particular brand/type of coolant that you guys think is the best?

4. Don't you just love newbies like me who have to ask questions about a ton of things like this because they just don't have the experience working under their hoods yet?

:)
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

The Lanos is one of the easier models to change the coolant in. Simply open the surge tank cap to release the pressure, and loosen the petcock that retains the coolant (extreme bottom drivers side of radiator). Let as much of it drain as possible. If it is extremely dirty, run a bottle of cooling system cleaner through the systemfor a few hours of driving and repeat the process. If it is relatively clean, just old, you can get by by simply running pure water through the engine and allowing it to heat up (with heat on high of course). As soon as the engine heats up filled with tap water, allow it to cool back down a bit, then repeat the process, filling it with a 50/50 solution of antifreeze and DISTILLED water.

I actually run the Prestone in the yellow bottle along with a nice bottle of RedLine WaterWetter to keep temps down and lubrication and contact up.

Don't worry about asking questions...Ever. That is how we all learn and discuss what is best. If no one asked questions or if everyone was an expert about their cars, then there would be no need for Daewootech.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Excellent. Well... then I'll just have to do it myself. You don't know what the "Full" capacity of the coolant system is do you?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

just fill it to the appropriate line on the coolant resevoir(spelling). it'll have one for hot and cold.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

BosnianLanos wrote:The Lanos is one of the easier models to change the coolant in. Simply open the surge tank cap to release the pressure, and loosen the petcock that retains the coolant (extreme bottom drivers side of radiator). Let as much of it drain as possible. If it is extremely dirty, run a bottle of cooling system cleaner through the systemfor a few hours of driving and repeat the process. If it is relatively clean, just old, you can get by by simply running pure water through the engine and allowing it to heat up (with heat on high of course). As soon as the engine heats up filled with tap water, allow it to cool back down a bit, then repeat the process, filling it with a 50/50 solution of antifreeze and DISTILLED water.

I actually run the Prestone in the yellow bottle along with a nice bottle of RedLine WaterWetter to keep temps down and lubrication and contact up.

Don't worry about asking questions...Ever. That is how we all learn and discuss what is best. If no one asked questions or if everyone was an expert about their cars, then there would be no need for Daewootech.
Don't mix Redline WW with any antifreeze mix. There has been reports of some waxy gunk accumulating in the coolant system. You use either one but not both. I would recommend WW for summer but 50/50 Prestone will do too if you are lazy to change things out when winter comes.

Actually, you don't fill it up with 50/50 mix when you are through flushing it out with water. You actually fill it with half the total coolant capacity with concentrated antifreeze then run the engine to allow the thermostat to open. The level will decrease and then you top up with water to make up. In that way, you will get a good 50/50 mix in the system.

I do not recommend flushing with system cleaner. Basically they are a mix of citric and malic acid. These are organic crystalline acids. It will need a lot of flushing to get rid of them but there is a better and cheaper acid to use. Vinegar which is basically acetic acid. Just fill up half the total coolant capacity with vinegar (it is cheap), top up with water. Run the engine until the thermostat opens. Cool and drain then do the water flush.

Why I prefer vinegar/acetic acid? It is volatile. :D
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Hmm... I've run WaterWetter for a few months now with absolutely no problems and no buildup. I've also used system cleaner in the past and never run into a fault...
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

BosnianLanos wrote:Hmm... I've run WaterWetter for a few months now with absolutely no problems and no buildup. I've also used system cleaner in the past and never run into a fault...
Just keep an eye on it. Most people don't recommend WW with the regular antifreeze together. As for system cleaner, maybe I am lazy. With vinegar, I do only 1-2 flushes with water and in goes the antifreeze. With regular system cleaners, you always have that nagging thought if you have flushed it all out. That's the advantage of having something that is volatile. It just boils away!
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Do it yourself...very easy but takes some time.

As for the redline watter wetter and antifreeze not being good togather I call that crap. I dont know much about the stuff myself but I know a few hundred people that run them togather in the most extream conditions and one of the first things they tell someone new to open road course events in Arizona (hot as hell) is to put a bottle of watter wetter in the coolant
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

Do a search in other forums. WW is known to form some goo with mixed with some antifreezes. To solve this RL has suggested using their diesel WW version to prevent coolant sludges.

Nobody is doubting WW in race applications. In fact it is great when you are facing searing coolant temperatures from racing. For summer months I would say it is great by itself with water. However RL does not guarantee against sludge if you mix with whatever antifreeze you have. Anyway mixing it with 50/50 modern coolant is a waste. You will be hardpressed to see any improvements.

However do note that it is a fact that increasing the ratio of water to coolant will have a far greater effect on the temperature then Water Wetter ever will.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

1- its very easy to do it yourself, i just did it yesterday.

2- check the "how to section" for a detailed instructions for the process.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

genie47 wrote:Do a search in other forums. WW is known to form some goo with mixed with some antifreezes. To solve this RL has suggested using their diesel WW version to prevent coolant sludges.

Nobody is doubting WW in race applications. In fact it is great when you are facing searing coolant temperatures from racing. For summer months I would say it is great by itself with water. However RL does not guarantee against sludge if you mix with whatever antifreeze you have. Anyway mixing it with 50/50 modern coolant is a waste. You will be hardpressed to see any improvements.

However do note that it is a fact that increasing the ratio of water to coolant will have a far greater effect on the temperature then Water Wetter ever will.
hmm. Are you sure WW alone (no anti-freaze) provides enough lubracation? Right now im running about 20% coolant but sure as hell dont need any most of the year
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

kinkyllama wrote:hmm. Are you sure WW alone (no anti-freaze) provides enough lubracation? Right now im running about 20% coolant but sure as hell dont need any most of the year
WW reduces surface tension because a surfactant is involved. I can't think of a better lubricant than a surfactant (soap). :D
dog

Post by dog »

don't go to a shop unless you have to. Most use a flush machine which does not flush as weel just faster. I do alot of these in the Fall and can tell you I would do it by draining the system on my own car. To do the machine flush you undo the top hose and hook in a line to the water pump and a line to the radiator. The cars water pump pulls coolant out of the machines tank and when it goes threw the system the other line sends it to a waste tank. The problem is it is mixing the new coolant and old coolant so alot of the old crud is still in there. Save the money spend the time your car will love you more.
oh yeah we charge $69 for the green coolant and $89 for the orange just for the flush.
04 Suzuki Forenza 2.0 with dreams of 325 hp per liter.
bee_jaye

Re: Coolant Flush! Easy to do at home or just have a shop do

Post by bee_jaye »

whilst flushing, how long do I need to leave the engine running for the thermostat to open up, how will i know once it has?
Daniel
Expert

Re: Coolant Flush! Easy to do at home or just have a shop do

Post by Daniel »

bee_jaye wrote:whilst flushing, how long do I need to leave the engine running for the thermostat to open up, how will i know once it has?
You know that the tstat opens when bottom radiator hose is hot.