belt snaping?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

chronoti
Junior

belt snaping?

Post by chronoti »

i was just wondering if the a/c belt snaping is a common issue on the lanos engine? my friend 1st got his car and i took it to the red line and the belt snaped, and his bro just got another lanos (wrecked his 1st one) and the belt was snaped about a week after.

just wondering if this is a common problem or just bad luck?
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no it is not common... maybe the belts were too old and didn't take the load of 6.5k RPM... it is advisable to replace the A/C belt and Alternator belt every 40k kms (25k miles).

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

I know this is some time ago, but I thought i'd confirm what the thread said for future ref for people.
Mine trashed 2 belts!!. And i know the RPM for the Compressor is a little too much at hi-revs. I have managed to keep the third one on for some 11 months now. AND it has stopped sqeaking!!.
I got the last belt from S.C.Auto. it looked to have a diff profile from one side to the other, so I looked at the pulleys, and they do look slightly off line!!, so i slapped it on acording to that, and is ok now(Touch wood etc).
I am not sure if all are the same(1.5 etec motors), but look from above, and you will see the pulleys appear to be off line, if so, dig about for a odd profile belt.
The fault seems to be the belt getting hot on one side, hardening, and dis-integrating. i have decided if it does it again, to space the pulleys on an equal plane. Anyone else noticed this??