Dead lanos? or maybe not

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

hands-on

Dead lanos? or maybe not

Post by hands-on »

Well, here's the story: My sister in law has a 2000 lanos with A/T and a DOHC 1.6 l engine it has 102,000 miles.
on new year's eve she was leaving a party and the car died as she was backing out. She cranked it untill the battery died to no avail.
The short of it is that the timiming belt broke. With the help of the guys in this forum I was able to put a new belt in.
Now I have no compresion in any of the cilinders. Yes, I tested the compresion guage and it works. There is also oil in the cooling fluid.
I think the head gasket must be bad as there are some oily smudges on the block. here are my questions
1- what are the steps to remove the cylinder head/
2- can the pistons be damaged to the point where it would be better to replace the whole engine
3- I have a 500 hp big block chevy engine , is there any way to fit it in the car? Making it a rear wheel drive car ofcourse
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Well I would make sure you installed the belt the right way you might wanna double check that

Yes you can put a big block on the woo but for the price it will cost you in fabrication and such you could buy 3 new cars :D
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Did you check to see if you have broken/bent valves?

So much cranking on a broken belt should have cost you most of not all of your valves.

This would explain the loss of compression.
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

The belt was placed as shown in the timing belt replacement post, tightened to the first mark. crank turned twice and then set to the second mark. I am quite certain that the valves are bent there is resistance when turning the crankbeyond what i would expect.

the big block is just a pipe dream but wouldn't it make for a sweet sleeper?

does anyone have the instructions on removing the head without warping it?

I could take pictures as I go for the forum if it has not been done before
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

can a SOHC head be placed on a DOHC engine are there any downs to this except power loss?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Unless you live in Canada, finding an SOHC head is next to impossible.

Also, if you are thinking of mounting the SOHC 1.5L Lanos head on the 1.6L DOHC block, it will not work because the 1348-1498 cc block is different than the 1598 cc block, and the bolts would not line up.

I am pretty sure, but I can be wrong. You'll have to wait for an expert on valve heads like MMamdouh or Erfinder to see this post to be sure.

Go to www.car-parts.com and call around to your local junk/wrecking/salvage/recylce yards to see if anyone has a working DOHC head.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

there is a working lanos engine on ebay for 400 bucks :wink:
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Audacityracing wrote:there is a working lanos engine on ebay for 400 bucks :wink:
Even better. With 102,000 miles, I doubt the old engine is even worth repairing.
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

has anybody put a VW golf diesel or other diesel in a lanos?

I checked the parts # for the blocks 1.5 and 1.6 seem to be the same, the pistons and con rods too. what about the pontiac lemans head?

the engine on ebay is now 600 and I have to go to NJ for pick up, Im in KY
Audacity Racing
moron

there is one for 399 in lenior north carolina. it will re-appear in a day or so. no one is buying the daewoo engines so just give it a day or so.
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

are there any specific steps needed to remove the cylinder head?
Audacity Racing
moron

check the general section for a sticky that contains the entire repair manual for the lanos. you can find everything you need to swap it out there.
CustomLanos
Expert

Post by CustomLanos »

too bad theres no warranty...or is there?.....Timing elt went on my car and bent my vavles and its being fixed under my warranty.
I wish my grass was emo....so it would cut itself
hands-on

Post by hands-on »

Audacityracing wrote:check the general section for a sticky that contains the entire repair manual for the lanos. you can find everything you need to swap it out there.
I tried to openthe link but itwill not open
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

CustomLanos wrote:too bad theres no warranty...or is there?.....Timing elt went on my car and bent my vavles and its being fixed under my warranty.
the factory is going to cover a broken timing belt?how many miles do you have on your car?my belt broke at 63000 and the factory did not cover my head repair.the service manual says to change the belt at 60000 and i didnt change it because i dont think you should have to touch the motor untill 100,000.but i was wrong $1200 later i finally got my car up and running.but to hands-on you should be able to do it for alot cheaper now.
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--custom intake (short ram)
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--port and polished intake manifold
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
http://www.myspace.com/txhtownxt