Installing a Switch for Neons, Need Advice Plz!!!!!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

chris2511
Super

Installing a Switch for Neons, Need Advice Plz!!!!!

Post by chris2511 »

Hi, i want to install neons in my car in various place including one on the parcel shelf, one near the footwells and 2 or 3 underneath the car (also need advice on where under the car i would put them to give off a good lighting effect), but i dont know how to hook it all up and how to install a switch etc, advice and pictures would be very much appreciated :) :D
Thanks Guys.
Two rights do not make a wrong.
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

look for my old post where i told people how to wire up a relay. your going to want a relay on those probaly can just buy a predone relay kit made for fog lights and just wire that in since i probly comes with a switch, just pick up power from that kit.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

Hi, would you be able to tell me where the post, and do you have any pictures etc to show how to get the wire from the battery to the inside of the car?

Thanks.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

What I did was....

I connected the 12V power wire from a Neon tube to a power wire of my CD player..... split that wire with a swtich (so the wire looks like this....
***NEON TUBE*** ----------------------\****SWITCH****/------------------****Power Wire from CD player****

Then connected the ground wire to the ground wire of a CD Player.

Mounted my switch right below the CD player in that plastic opening.

I have 2 switches, one for neons, the other one is for my tachometer lighting.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

Would you be able to post pics of how you do that, and to get to the CD player wire do you have to pull the whole Cd player out, and which one is the grounding wire and which one is the wire that u connect the other wire to?

Thanks for your help.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

chris2511 wrote:Would you be able to post pics of how you do that, and to get to the CD player wire do you have to pull the whole Cd player out, and which one is the grounding wire and which one is the wire that u connect the other wire to?

Thanks for your help.
you would have to pull out your CD player. It should say on the back of the CD player which wire is which. If not you could always test it with a Volt meter. I don't have any pics (don't want to take everything apart again)... but it's pretty simple.
BlackleR
Junior

Post by BlackleR »

I have some neons, but they are attatched to the thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter, could i cut off the connector n wire it to my cd player like u did or do i just have to get better neons which dont have the cigarette lighter connector ?
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

On the one i bought, u can just cut off the cigerette lighter and wire it up that way. I still dont understand how to connect up neons its very confusing for me
:(
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=relay

someday i'll make a real how to wire everything up with a relay thread.
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

chris2511 wrote:Hi, would you be able to tell me where the post, and do you have any pictures etc to show how to get the wire from the battery to the inside of the car?

Thanks.
my daewo pix have the wires from the battery to the cabin
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

chris2511 wrote:On the one i bought, u can just cut off the cigerette lighter and wire it up that way. I still dont understand how to connect up neons its very confusing for me
:(
What's so confusing? There's only 2 wires... power (12v) and ground... that's it. If you want a switch, install one on the power wire. You don't even need a relay.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

The thing i dont get is which of the wires are the grounding wire and the 12v wire etc, is confusing for me as i am new to cars, thats all.
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

black is ground red is power, or if it's black and white then white is power, or if it's black and blue then blue is power ...... get where i'm going?

you can sand paper any metal point on your can and screw the wire there and get ground.

you can also get a volt meter and use that to test what wires are what.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

I get what you mean now by grounding, but where would u usually ground a neon thats on the parcel tray, would a bolt be good enough, and how do you attach it to a switch from back there and also where do i get power from for it?
Thanks.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

well I would just ground it to a screw or bolt, and just take some 16ga-14ga speaker wire and run it from

Power of cd player to The swtich

then from the switch run it to the neons power.

basically all the switch will allow is a Power signal to run through it and it will have 2 positive point and one point will be the input from the batterey and the other will be the output to the neons.

Basically in car power all you have is a positive and negative and in car electronics the negative is the ground and the positive is whatever cable is comming from the batterey and supplying power to any device in the car, cd player cluster gauges, etc.

I hope this helps you out.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE