$25.00 peformance seats!!!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

$25.00 peformance seats!!!

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes folk you heard right..... want a seat with good solid side support but you have no money????

Well do you guys remember that conversation about using LeMans GSE seats (made by Recaro) in the Daewoo??

Basicly the seats don't fit and are virtually impossible to adapt for use in the Lanos but........ the back seat sections of the LeMans GSE seat and the back of the stock Lanos seat are interchangeable!!!!

So in about 5 minutes I was able to take the LeMans GSE seat back off and transplant it onto my stock Lanos seat.

The result is that the lower section of the seat is still stock but the upper is the Recaro seat which has way more side support.

My car feels faster now..... it's really weird.... I know it's just the seats holding me in place but it honestly feels like I'm able to go around corners faster.

Basicly you remove the side plastic pieces and pop a couple of clips off and it's ready to go.

I will see if I can take some pictures to show how to do it.

The great thing is that you can pick a set of these LeMans GSE seats up for next to nothing at the local scrap yard.

The colors are very similar but I might end up re-upolstering the two or put a seat cover on.

Needless to say it's a great upgrade from the stock seat.

You may want to search around for posts on the LeMans seats so that you can see the picture of the particular model of seat you need to look for in the auto wreckers.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

cool...

why do you say the dont fit?

did you check were the seats holds to the base? if they're interchangeable?

since i sold my Recaros in now using seats from an Opel Corsa... a smaller car... i only fitted them to my old seats base and they did fit like the factory ones.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The base is not interchangeable in any way and the mounts are really differerent and would be a huge pain to modify.

This "top swap" requires next to no mechanical ability (no fabrication) and the result is a way sportier seat.

Basicly you take out the four bolts holding the seat down, remove the seat and take it somewhere to work on it.

You removethe plastic trim hiding the connections between the top and bottom parts of the seat on both sides ( there are some tricks to this so don't just rip them off, you need to push out a plastic pin from the inside with a screwdriver)

You then take the front mounting clip off both sides and use a screwdriver to carefully pull the bracket over the stud.

Do this on the otherside and your done, the seat back will come loose in your hands.

Then you do it in reverse to put it back on.

I will take pictures to show how easy it is but I have to say this is the simplest cheap upgrade anyone could do to their car.

The local pick your own part autowrecker has specials such as $5 per seat for a few days each month..... I think they are normally $10 each.
Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

Any pics?

Mat 8)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a picture of the hybrid Lanos/Lemans seat....

The side bolsters are very stiff with thick solid steel rod.

The factory Lanos sides are just soft foam so they have no support
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

ohhh those ones... the came also on the '92 Racer GTE (aka Lemans)

i had those in my Racer before i had the Recaros. very confortables indeed!
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph