When does the VGIS kick in??

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

When I full throttle my car their is a time delay and then I feel the power.

Maybe it is that our ECU's are kind of slow and it takes time por the ECU to make the calculation for the correct A/F ratio

I thinks the VGIS it serves for no good in modyfied engines because the devices that changes the runers lenght is obstructing the air flow
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question517.htm

everyone please read that and we can put debate to rest.

unless you have changed the volumetric efficiency (i.e. turbo) past a reasonable amount, the VGIS system does WONDERS for the 1.6L engine. as you read there at how stuff works, tuned intake runners are the same principle as ITB's. ambient air versus a pressure difference of any kind will create a barrier that resembles a solid structure... so what makes ITB's so good at high revs, is that they act like a tuned runner... and because of the trumpet, they increase airflow do to the plenum effect (venturi).

tuned intake runners are very powerful mechanicsms. the daewoo was not the first car to have them and won't be the last. the acura integra came with them at one point even. the next gen corvette motor, LS7 is said to have them, and the LS9 (DOHC) we know has them (the design sheets show 3, maybe 4 different length runners).

again though, the difference is about 10% increase in power... given the rpm level it goes off at (approx 4500), that's around a 7-8 horsepower increase, not a huge amount given the stock setup. the more powerful the engine, the more noticable the increase from the system. also, if you port/polish... you get a WAY better response... but polishing in this case has to include the internal workings of the intake.
wooskiMN

Post by wooskiMN »

isnt this just like the integra GSR manifold...? trying not to sound dumb
01 Woo
full exaust
intake
rims
chco chip
rsb stage 2
fsb
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

Reminds me of something. Is the Mantzel Powerbox for Opels some sort of variable intake system. I mean it replaces the entire intake manifold of a 1.4-1.6L Opel engine.

See this link on how it is fitted on a Corsa.

http://www.corsa-novatuning.nl/nl/Tuning1416B.htm
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Well if this helps I feel it kick in in first gear at around 25 mph then second gear at 40 mph third at 60

next time I drive I will double check cause i have no tach
MMamdouh

Sorted out the damn problem!

Post by MMamdouh »

I KNEW THE DAMN VGIS CONTROL WAS MESSING UP THE CAR!

i was damn sure of that... you can feel the car very much restricted at low revs up to some 3500 to 4000 RPM and suddenly it fires up, i thought that the only thing that really changs at that speed is the VGIS and since we had vaccum lines problems thei it must be the VGIS control got messed up into the conventional engine vacuum lines and caused this.

also what made my thoughts more acceptable the fact that the A/C controls (that are vacuum controled) are not working at all... no doubt the c\vacuum lines are a complete mess.

me and Zikas went today to the mechanic to check the car and luckly ther was a2.0 leganza and a 1.6 nubira at the shop so we got all the refrences we needed to sort out our problems.

basicly we had too many extra vacuum lines from the VGIS of the old 1.6, one vacuum canster, one extra vacuum solinoid, vacuum line from the MAP and one more from the EGR... i can't recall how the wrong setup was but basicly both solinoids were connected to almost every thing so i guess nothing was working right till the VGIS kicks in and opens the solinoid then things start to be good.

also the problem is the 2.0 on the leganza uses no MAP sensor... or at least not the conventional one on the mid of the fire wall so that was an extra vacuum line that needed a port and none are available on the TB, the leganza engine uses a sensor on the manifold itself... no idea if that is a MAP sensor or something else that does a similar job... anyways we couldn't fir the MAP sensor's socket to that other sensor so we had to keep the conventional MAP working.

we disregarded the VGIS solinoid and its canester completly and started to connect things as they were on the 2.0 leggy... we ended up with one extra vacuum line for the MAP... we got a Y shaped junction to make an extra port for the MAP sensor and fitted all the lines in the right place.

we started the engine and it ran fine, idles smoothly and no CEL, the A/C controls are now working great, so far so good but the main concern is the performance on the road, we had to test the car when pushed hard from low revs.

the performance difference is dramatic... the car gained much torque at low revs that you can actually spin the tires at first gear by simply poaking the throttle in the old days you felt like driving a 1.5 engined car till you hit 3500 RPM then it switches to 2.0... felt that too many times when i was testing on the day we dropped the engine in the car and many times when Zikas was driving, now all that is a thing of the past and the 2.0 is giving all it has got.

i am sure this won't affect the car's top speed but i am sure as hell it affects the 0-100 time... we will update that soon.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Slammed
Expert

Re: Sorted out the damn problem!

Post by Slammed »

Good to hear. Waiting for the update

:D
MMamdouh wrote:I KNEW THE DAMN VGIS CONTROL WAS MESSING UP THE CAR!

i was damn sure of that... you can feel the car very much restricted at low revs up to some 3500 to 4000 RPM and suddenly it fires up, i thought that the only thing that really changs at that speed is the VGIS and since we had vaccum lines problems thei it must be the VGIS control got messed up into the conventional engine vacuum lines and caused this.

also what made my thoughts more acceptable the fact that the A/C controls (that are vacuum controled) are not working at all... no doubt the c\vacuum lines are a complete mess.

me and Zikas went today to the mechanic to check the car and luckly ther was a2.0 leganza and a 1.6 nubira at the shop so we got all the refrences we needed to sort out our problems.

basicly we had too many extra vacuum lines from the VGIS of the old 1.6, one vacuum canster, one extra vacuum solinoid, vacuum line from the MAP and one more from the EGR... i can't recall how the wrong setup was but basicly both solinoids were connected to almost every thing so i guess nothing was working right till the VGIS kicks in and opens the solinoid then things start to be good.

also the problem is the 2.0 on the leganza uses no MAP sensor... or at least not the conventional one on the mid of the fire wall so that was an extra vacuum line that needed a port and none are available on the TB, the leganza engine uses a sensor on the manifold itself... no idea if that is a MAP sensor or something else that does a similar job... anyways we couldn't fir the MAP sensor's socket to that other sensor so we had to keep the conventional MAP working.

we disregarded the VGIS solinoid and its canester completly and started to connect things as they were on the 2.0 leggy... we ended up with one extra vacuum line for the MAP... we got a Y shaped junction to make an extra port for the MAP sensor and fitted all the lines in the right place.

we started the engine and it ran fine, idles smoothly and no CEL, the A/C controls are now working great, so far so good but the main concern is the performance on the road, we had to test the car when pushed hard from low revs.

the performance difference is dramatic... the car gained much torque at low revs that you can actually spin the tires at first gear by simply poaking the throttle in the old days you felt like driving a 1.5 engined car till you hit 3500 RPM then it switches to 2.0... felt that too many times when i was testing on the day we dropped the engine in the car and many times when Zikas was driving, now all that is a thing of the past and the 2.0 is giving all it has got.

i am sure this won't affect the car's top speed but i am sure as hell it affects the 0-100 time... we will update that soon.

MMamdouh