When does the VGIS kick in??

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

When does the VGIS kick in??

Post by MMamdouh »

i want to know at how many RPM does the VGIS kicks in on the 1.6 16 valve engine, anyone got an idea??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I feel the kick at around 4,800-5,000 rpm
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I thought it was lower.... around 4000 RPM.... If I go into APEX today I will look at the Aveo power curve.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

The VGIS could be vacuum dependant. There is this thing on it that resembles a turbo setup.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes... it is vacume actuated.... but it's not directly to the manifold... there is an electronicly controlled vacuum valve that kicks in at a certain RPM
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

what does vgis stand for, and what is it? (sorry if thats a dumb question)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I feel a very noticeable pickup in power from about 4800 RPM-6000 RPM. I don't know if that is the VGIS or the effect of the DOHC system. It seems too much power to be given from just VGIS.
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

daewoomofo wrote:what does vgis stand for, and what is it? (sorry if thats a dumb question)
sort of like VTEC
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

DaewoLeganza wrote:
daewoomofo wrote:what does vgis stand for, and what is it? (sorry if thats a dumb question)
sort of like VTEC
No, nothing like VTEC, nothing like it at all.

It is a vacuum operated system that at a certain RPM engages a different set of intake runners to give more power and torque. VTEC is a variable valve timing system which electronically controls the timing of the intake valves to give a boost in power. We have VGIS, we do not have VTEC.
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

BosnianLanos wrote:
DaewoLeganza wrote:
sort of like VTEC
No, nothing like VTEC, nothing like it at all.

It is a vacuum operated system that at a certain RPM engages a different set of intake runners to give more power and torque. VTEC is a variable valve timing system which electronically controls the timing of the intake valves to give a boost in power. We have VGIS, we do not have VTEC.
once VTEC kicks in the sound becomes sweet
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Variable Geomitry Intake System where the intake shape changes according to which RPM you are at... atually their is only two setups, long runner and short runner.

the long one is used at low RPM to inhance torque at low speeds and the short runner is used at high RPM to inhance HP.

don't feel its a dumb question... we are all hear to learn, i wish we had a FAQ section where we can put things like this one here.

MMamdouh
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

MMamdouh wrote:
Variable Geomitry Intake System where the intake shape changes according to which RPM you are at... atually their is only two setups, long runner and short runner.

the long one is used at low RPM to inhance torque at low speeds and the short runner is used at high RPM to inhance HP.

don't feel its a dumb question... we are all hear to learn, i wish we had a FAQ section where we can put things like this one here.

MMamdouh
maybe thats how come no matter if ur doin 10 or 65 when u romp the pedal the car doesnt roll until 2 seconds where the car really pulls
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

BosnianLanos wrote:I feel a very noticeable pickup in power from about 4800 RPM-6000 RPM. I don't know if that is the VGIS or the effect of the DOHC system. It seems too much power to be given from just VGIS.
Yep, same here.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

the sudden burst of power is the vgis, and yes, it's about a 10% increase in power due solely to the runner change.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the problem is i feel the same thing on the 2.0 nubira we swapped... it now has no vgis so it is not logical to have this feeling... i recon we have some power resrtriction somewhere whcih gets fixed when the ecu "thinks" the VGIS is supposed to engage.

now i need the exact RPM to match it to the 2.0 nubira to make sure if this is related to the VGIS operation or not.

MMamdouh