Chevy Daewoo

The latest rumors, news on vehicles, press Releases, new models lauches and general Automotive news.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

dawhat

Chevy Daewoo

Post by dawhat »

Chevrolet dealers next year will sell an inexpensive car assembled in Korea. Industry sources say Chevrolet in 2004 will sell two versions of the subcompact Daewoo Kalos, a vehicle that is sold in Europe and Asia.

The car will be produced by GM Daewoo Auto & Technology in Korea. The company was created last year by GM and other automakers when it purchased the main assets of bankrupt Daewoo Motor Co. Ltd.

Two models, a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback, are expected to fill the hole left when the Chevrolet Metro was discontinued in 2001.

"They are all-new vehicles, never been sold here before," said an industry source who asked not to be identified. "Some of them were introduced a short time ago in other markets."

Chevrolet will show the two models this week at the Chicago Auto Show.

The vehicles will help counter the growing popularity of two Korean brands, Hyundai and Kia. Last year, Hyundai sold 375,119 vehicles here, up from 90,217 in 1998. Kia, part of the Hyundai group, sold 237,345 vehicles last year.

Hyundai alone plans to sell 1 million vehicles in the United States by 2010. The Koreans have attracted buyers with low prices and 10-year/100,000-mile warranties.

In an interview during a Pontiac event in Arizona, Gary Cowger, president of GM North America, said only one GM brand in the United States will get GM Daewoo vehicles.

The unnamed Chevrolet models are expected to target both Kia and Hyundai vehicles with base stickers around $10,000. Last year, sales of the Hyundai Accent/Excel and Kia Rio totaled 122,683.

Chevrolet's lowest-priced car is the Cavalier, whose base sticker is $14,595, including destination charge. But that car was offered through much of 2002 with rebates of $2,000 and higher.

The move could play a role in the lawsuit against GM by former Daewoo dealers, who have had no product to sell since GM and its partners acquired the principal assets of Daewoo Motor Co. late in 2002 and the flow of vehicles to dealers stopped.

Many Daewoo dealers in the United States are suing General Motors in federal court in Orlando, Fla., contending that the takeover illegally terminated their franchises.

Ford Motor plans to counter the Koreans with the Ford Fusion, a front-drive car assembled in Brazil. It will arrive in 2004.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday, Feb. 12, Suzuki will announce in Chicago that it plans this year to add to its U.S. lineup two sedans that will be produced by GM Daewoo. Both cars will be marketed as 2004 models.
DAWHAT
DEATHBYNUMBERS
tango

Post by tango »

We can truly count on GM to keep us guessing. That sounds like good news. But I just did some digging. Seems as if this bit you found:

" In an interview during a Pontiac event in Arizona, Gary Cowger, president of GM North America, said only one GM brand in the United States will get GM Daewoo vehicles."

isn't quite right. Apparently Suzuki will be getting two new sedans. A midsize sedan called Verona (bet $16-19k) and a compact sedan called Forenza (bet $12k-15k). BOTH built by Daewoo in Korea. Hmmm....sounds a bit like Magnus and Lacetti to me. Let's see...

Found these pics:
Chevrolet Aveo...not as easily identified as a Kalos is it?

Suzuki Forenza...Yup. It's the new Nubira/Lacetti

Suzuki Verona...Yup. Daewoo Magnus.

Check this site out for good measure...

http://www.media.suzuki.com/auto/media.html
Cogito ergo sum...
Meanie07

Daewoo Lanos Parts

Post by Meanie07 »

Im not too much of a car guy but if Chevy is bringing in the Aveo around 2004. Does this mean that Aveo parts can be used on my Lanos if original parts are hard to find? Will it be a good thing for us Lanos drivers in the US in need for parts????
tango

Post by tango »

To be honest, I'm not sure which engines will be offered to North America. I have seen the 1.2 litre engine and it doesn't have the familiar Family II cam-cover, though this doesn't say it isn't a Fam II. I need to dig around some more. Stay tuned.

Kalos 1.2L 8v 72hp
Cogito ergo sum...
dawhat

Post by dawhat »

I would bet it will be 1.6 or bigger.
Although GM may prove me wrong
DAWHAT
DEATHBYNUMBERS
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I had a real good look at the AVEO at the Edmonton International Car show a while back and yes it does have the 1.6L DOHC and it looks like quite a few of the parts from the Lanos have made their way into the new Aveo. (the engine is rated at the exact same HP and torque as the lanos)

It was funny looking into the car and seeing the exact same heating/cooling controls in the center console.

Definitly good news for Daewoo owners.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

hehe...actually both the Kalos (aka Aveo) and the Nubira(Chevy Optra)are already available in Canada...

Kalos, with the familiar 1.6l DOHC engine, known from the euro version of the Lanos

Prices start at$13,480 and standard equipment on the base model includes a 103 horsepower 1.6 litre four cylinder engine, 5 speed manual transmission, 14 inch tires, power steering, tilt steering wheel, AM/FM radio, tachometer, intermittent wipers, split folding rear seatbacks and dual airbags. For only another $500 more, Aveo LS models add air conditioning, CD player with MP3 playback, power windows, power door locks, remote entry, and heated mirrors. You can dress it up with an optional appearance package which includes alloys, fog lamps, and a spoiler on hatchback models. A four-speed automatic transmission, anti-lock brakes, power sunroof, and premium audio system are available as options.

And the Chevy Optra, um, new Nubira, which will come with the 2.0 DOHC engine

Starting at $16,190, the Optra offers a 119 horsepower 2.0 litre four cylinder engine and a lot of standard equipment, such as AM/FM/CD stereo and four speakers, front power windows/rear manual windows, power door locks, variable intermittent wipers, folding rear seats, tachometer, tilt steering wheel, 15 inch tires and wheels, and four wheel disc brakes.

Optra LS models, $17,465, add alloy wheels, heated mirrors, one-touch sliding glass moonroof, and rear power windows.

Noteworthy too is the Optra's standard 5 year/100,000 kilometre powertrain warranty as well as the standard 3 yr/60,000 kilometre full warranty.