Aveo Airbags not active?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

assa

Aveo Airbags not active?

Post by assa »

The airbag(s) in this Aveo were NOT activated. Isn't it strange?

Image[/img]
assa

Notification

Post by assa »

Forgot to say the accident happened in Ukraine. Pics are taken from ukrainian site www.autoconsulting.com.ua and may be protected by copyright.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

failure rate of airbags is astonishingly high (where they don't always fire).

the failure rate is something like 1 misfire for every 100 accidents. that's one of the flaws with teh american system called "On*Star." it dials 911 in case of an airbag deployment but not just an accident. i know that their next evolution is supposed to have vehicle sensors to detect problems though.
(info provided by Jerry Oleswezci, engineer for GM in safety and development... my uncle :) )
04aveohb
Junior

Post by 04aveohb »

aveos dont have onstar..unless its aftermarket. Its also a possibility that the air bags were just sagging and you cant see them...dunno but he must have been flying, thats pretty bad..
2004 Chevy Aveo LS Hatchback
-SRI
-15" Konig Theory's
Audacity Racing
moron

04aveohb wrote:aveos dont have onstar..unless its aftermarket. Its also a possibility that the air bags were just sagging and you cant see them...dunno but he must have been flying, thats pretty bad..
nor did i imply the aveo had it (though it's offered). the point was that is part of the problem with it... airbags don't always fire and that's how onstar new to call the fire dept.

if the airbag doesn't go off, you would just have some nasty whiplash and maybe a bump on the head from the dash... but you'd survive just fine (assuming you were wearing your seatbelt)
assa

Post by assa »

The info about airbag was not activated is from the driver of that particular car. The post is about defected airbags and about what to do to get money from Ukrainian Chevy importer for it.
Audacity Racing
moron

there is big money in legal battles over airbag failures!!!
assa

Post by assa »

Yes, there is but in US only I suppose. In such countries like Poland, Ukraine, Russia, it is not. May be 2, 3 thousands USD if you are lucky. Remember the case: 8 yo girl was hit by foulty airbag which fired with ignition off when the car was parked (it was Ford Mondeo). The girl is handicaped in a result. The trial lasts 4 years and the Ford Motors Poland was sentenced to pay 8000 USD or so.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Are you really sure that the Aveo was equipped with airbags? I know cars in Eastern Europe don't really have them standard.

Maybe the driver was confused and thought he had them installed when in fact they weren't.

I would be really surprised if they had failed on such a new car.
assa

Post by assa »

I am not sure. All I can say is the owner of Aveo is confused the airbag didn't go off. On the other hand Aveo looks to be quite safe car if the driver suffered no injuries.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

reminds me of a pic that got a Porsche that was wrecke and parked in front of the Porsch dealership and the owner wrote "this accedent is not hard enough for the air bags to deploy"... apparently the owner was mad that the air bags didn't come to action during the accedent.

that makes me think... what if the accedent was not really that hard for the air bags to work?? i mean i know the car looks distroyed but even with no air bags the driver survived and he is well enough to complain about the air bag just as the Porsche owner is well enough to park his wrecked car in front of the deaers and complain about it as well.

my 2 cents.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Audacity Racing
moron

good point on that too mmamdouh. the crumple zone appears to be the only real damage. ordinarily when you have such violent collisions from teh front, the doors buckle and glass breaks in the doors and rear windows... not to mention the only visible marring of the windwhsield apperas to be the point where the guys head impacted it slightly.

more signs would be that the tires, though flat, are not totall bent up. anyone who has hit a curn doing more than about 10 miles an hour will tell you that the rims is dented to crap.

lastly, from my point of view on the not a large impact theory, is this. there is tons and tons of metal deflection (bent metal), but there really doesn't appear to be much failure under load. i don't see any "ripped" or "torn" or "blown through" metal... just metal that's been beat the #&%@ up.

just a thought