F20/D20/F28 Revisited

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

jonlint wrote:I am new to the forum, and I do not own a Daewoo but know Vauxhall Astras very well. I am scheming to build a rally Daewoo Lanos in the US, and I would like to know if anyone has the gear ratios and final drive ratio for the manual transmission 1.6L DOHC US-spec Lanos.

I am seeing conflicting information on the gear ratios for the US-spec 1.6L manual Lanos. The parts manual found on here shows a FD ratio of 3.72, but when I check on www.daewoous.com on their online parts ordering system, it shows only the 4.176 FD gear is available and for the transaxle as a complete part is shows "4.176 W/R" in the comments.

Could I ask a big favor of anyone with a US-spec Lanos - could you look through any brochure or owner's manual you have to see if any gear ratios are listed?

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.

Jonathan Linton
There should be two offered in the US. The sport model should have the lower gearing.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
jonlint

Post by jonlint »

Can anyone with a US-Spec Lanos Sport check their owner's manual?
Kickastra Co-driver
1992 Vauxhall Astra GSi, rally car based in Barbados
230BHP, 6-speed sequential
Visit rallyman.com
jonlint

Post by jonlint »

Stefan wrote:
daewooluvr wrote:are any of the F20 available in Canda?

Also how much power can each tranny handle?
You can use the D20 noted above, same as the Opel/Vaux F20.
As for power, there's a few throttle bodied Vauxhalls with 200-230hp that use them, but they have less torque than a turbo engine..........
Stef
We have a 230bhp XE throttled-body engine in our Mk3 Vauxhall Astra and have broken two (2) F20 gearboxes. One failure was probably not the box itself - we broke a tooth on the LSD spider gear, and had to ran a rally with it broken due to lack of time to get parts. We think the spider gear eventually broke and destroyed the box. The second failure, however was in third gear.

We eventually upgraded to a 6-speed sequential.
Kickastra Co-driver
1992 Vauxhall Astra GSi, rally car based in Barbados
230BHP, 6-speed sequential
Visit rallyman.com
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

it's been asked a million times, but for my sake and the sake of the future of daewootech...

what are the ratios for the sport transmission?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

isn't it the same as the close ratio F16??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

jonlint wrote:
Stefan wrote:
daewooluvr wrote:are any of the F20 available in Canda?

Also how much power can each tranny handle?
You can use the D20 noted above, same as the Opel/Vaux F20.
As for power, there's a few throttle bodied Vauxhalls with 200-230hp that use them, but they have less torque than a turbo engine..........
Stef
We have a 230bhp XE throttled-body engine in our Mk3 Vauxhall Astra and have broken two (2) F20 gearboxes. One failure was probably not the box itself - we broke a tooth on the LSD spider gear, and had to ran a rally with it broken due to lack of time to get parts. We think the spider gear eventually broke and destroyed the box. The second failure, however was in third gear.

We eventually upgraded to a 6-speed sequential.
I should of stated that these were road going cars with 200-230hp and not track day/competition cars. IIRC third and fifth are common failures on F-series equiped competition cars.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what tranny comes on the 1.6 Nubira?? is it a D20 or F16?? we swapped a 2.0 into a 1.6 nubira and we are still using the OEM tranny... any concerns about how well the tranny will hold to the torque increase from the 2.0??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

D16... maybe with the 4.18 final drive.

with will hold ok.

is still a stock engine. so no worries.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Ok, so I've got another question:

Will the stock gearbox out of a 1.5i hold a C20XE down? I believe the details on the box are as such:

Trans Ratio

Ratio 5
0.707:1

Final drive ratio
3.940:1

Final drive location
Front

Trans Ratio

Reverse
3.333:1

Ratio 4
0.892:1

Ratio 1
3.545:1

Ratio 3
1.276:1

Ratio 2
1.952:1

So pretty much I don't know. I don't want to have to get an F20
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
ant0ny

Post by ant0ny »

cpd,

I have a 2.0lt JE Camira (SOCH 8valve) engine worked putting out 110+hp at the wheels with 450lb of Torque in my 15i with the sandard F16WR box... Not a problem at all. Depends on how standard the C20XE is I guess... check with anyone running that motor with the F16 box here or on the http://www.astra-mk2.com forum the guys in the UK have done this all before they will be able to tell you what you can get away with.

I'd be more woried about the drive sharfts.. I have the JE camira ones bigger wheel bearings, sharfts and cvs (from memory).

...but don't go out and try this without asking for more info.. there are a few things to know before do a Holden Camira to Daewoo conversion.. nothing major just a few gotcha's to watchout for.

Ant
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

ant0ny wrote:cpd,

I have a 2.0lt JE Camira (SOCH 8valve) engine worked putting out 110+hp at the wheels with 450lb of Torque in my 15i with the sandard F16WR box... Not a problem at all. Depends on how standard the C20XE is I guess... check with anyone running that motor with the F16 box here or on the http://www.astra-mk2.com forum the guys in the UK have done this all before they will be able to tell you what you can get away with.

I'd be more woried about the drive sharfts.. I have the JE camira ones bigger wheel bearings, sharfts and cvs (from memory).

...but don't go out and try this without asking for more info.. there are a few things to know before do a Holden Camira to Daewoo conversion.. nothing major just a few gotcha's to watchout for.

Ant
I'd like to kow the conversion factor for AU torque ratings! 450lbs.ft. of torque in the US is only seen in large displacement V-8's!!!!!!!
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

cpd, ive the XE with the F16, i broke one F16 but that one had lots of years of pure abuse, putting the XE in was the "instant" death for her, this one has been ok for a while.

pontiacjeff torque ratting should be a typo
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

Efrain A. wrote:cpd, ive the XE with the F16, i broke one F16 but that one had lots of years of pure abuse, putting the XE in was the "instant" death for her, this one has been ok for a while.

pontiacjeff torque ratting should be a typo
Typo I hope! More likely 150lbs.ft.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

yeah
ant0ny

Post by ant0ny »

pontiacjeff wrote:
I'd like to kow the conversion factor for AU torque ratings! 450lbs.ft. of torque in the US is only seen in large displacement V-8's!!!!!!!
Au torque rating are same as US just upside down :)

Sorry to burst your bubble...

Bottom end was built buy a guy who normally builds drag motors... I just asked for good torque as it being a front wheel drive supposed to be for rallying on dirt.

This day we just installed the LINK Computer and we found the clutch was slipping. Latter we have ran it upto 110Hp with a clutch replacement and now it would be closer to 120+Hp on race fuel and a few more tweaks running on the track with the laptop fine tuning it.

Ant