Tyres and Suspension

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Re: Tyres and Suspension

Post by kinkyllama »

ubuyau wrote: Also Im wondering if anyone has any experience with the Pedders Sports Ryder Comfort Gas Shocks? These are the ones that the racing 600R Lanos used when they were running. I already have Pedders Sports Ryder springs so I figure the matched shocks might be good?

Finally has anyone replaced the suspension bushings? If I have all the suspension ripped out I may as well get bushes done too! Im looking at urethane ones from Pedders again, and wanted to know how they'd differ from OEM ones (which i assume are rubber)? Performance/Feel?

--Tim
Well i dont know from personal experiance but im sure since you have the springs the shocks will work well. Also if your suspension is as soft as mine (on the forenza) than any shocks would be much better.

The bushings ive heard good things about. Not sure if they are the same ones that make a bit of noise though.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

Stay away from Avon/Cooper tires. Right now I am using Falken tires, they are high-end tires so they aren't exactly cheap but I am extremely happy with them.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

For almost everybody the Falkens would be fine - im just super picky with the soft sidewall stuff as most of my driving is on twisty roads up mountains in the bush :wink:

In regards to suspension - just booked the car in to get the shocks done. New Pedders Comfort Gas Shocks front and rear fitted with a wheel alignment - $650AU. Pretty reasonable i though - they are stiffer than standard, but as of yet i dont know by how much - im assuming a fair bit....

The suspension bushes i wont be doing just yet...

--Tim
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I wont be going for the Yokies - i priced them and they are $275AU each!!! Bit more than i expected....

Im not sure what i'll be doing now. I might just be going for the Falken GRB's again. Researched a bit around the RT615's but it sounds like they wear quicker than the GRBs and im guessing theyll be round the same price as the Yokies!

what to do?? :(

--Tim
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

How many miles are you looking to get?

hankook has a ventus RS-2... almost as good as the RT615s onyl they last longer, less noise, better wet traction, ect... I got about 13k miles outta them including about 4 hours on the track. Which is amazing.. in comparison i had a set of tires that were expected to last at least 25k miles ended up only lasting 7k w/ only 2 hours track time
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I guess something between 35k - 40k kms. With better handling/grip than the GRB's...

Im headed out tomorrow after the suspension work so ill see how i go! I bet I end up with GRB's again :roll: :lol:

--Tim
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

ubuyau wrote:Im headed out tomorrow after the suspension work so ill see how i go! I bet I end up with GRB's again :roll: :lol:
Well if you guessed id get GRB's - your right! Bought a new rim to replace the bent one and a set of 4 205/40-17 Falken GRB's to go on next weekend. I wasnt that unhappy with the tyres and i think the rims suit the car so i decided against reinventing the wheel. :lol:

Can i simply say to everyone lowering your car - YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET NEW SHOCKS!!!!!! :D OMG!!! What a difference they make over OEM! I got Gas filled Pedders Comfort Ryders with Velocity Responsive Damping. They are firm but they just glide and handle - omg how they handle!!! Best money ive spent besides turbo! :wink:

The old ones were knackered - i could move them so easily...

They did however find that my tie rod ends were very worn and suggested getting them replaced which ill do between christmas and new year. You can feel it thru the steering wheel now, the small movement from the slack tie rods now everything is so firm.

The weak link in the suspension (aside from getting tie rods fixed and new tyres) seems to be chassis flex. Im in desperate need of a front strut bar but I cant get one for love nor money anywhere - looks like ill have to look overseas!!!

Ill get photos up soon.

--Tim
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

ubuyau wrote:Well if you guessed id get GRB's - your right! Bought a new rim to replace the bent one and a set of 4 205/40-17 Falken GRB's to go on next weekend. I wasnt that unhappy with the tyres and i think the rims suit the car so i decided against reinventing the wheel. :lol:

Can i simply say to everyone lowering your car - YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET NEW SHOCKS!!!!!! :D OMG!!! What a difference they make over OEM! I got Gas filled Pedders Comfort Ryders with Velocity Responsive Damping. They are firm but they just glide and handle - omg how they handle!!! Best money ive spent besides turbo! :wink:

The old ones were knackered - i could move them so easily...

They did however find that my tie rod ends were very worn and suggested getting them replaced which ill do between christmas and new year. You can feel it thru the steering wheel now, the small movement from the slack tie rods now everything is so firm.

The weak link in the suspension (aside from getting tie rods fixed and new tyres) seems to be chassis flex. Im in desperate need of a front strut bar but I cant get one for love nor money anywhere - looks like ill have to look overseas!!!

Ill get photos up soon.

--Tim
Tim, glad to see you're happy with how things are going.

Would you say for comfort is adversely affected by switching to the more tuned gas shock as compared to the stocker? Again, the reason i ask this question is because though i would like optimal performance out of the car, i cant sacrafice the ride quality as i will frequently taxi my clients between properties.

So, what do you think? Any other opinions out there?

LG
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

SickDrift wrote:Tim, glad to see you're happy with how things are going.

Would you say for comfort is adversely affected by switching to the more tuned gas shock as compared to the stocker? Again, the reason i ask this question is because though i would like optimal performance out of the car, i cant sacrafice the ride quality as i will frequently taxi my clients between properties.

So, what do you think? Any other opinions out there?

LG
Id say its way more comfortable than stock which is wierd. The shocks dont have as much travel distance as the stock ones, but the distance it does have is still so cushy a ride at highway crusing and around town, then when you push it hard in the twisties it sticks to the road! I think its because it has the gas velocity responsive damping, changes characteristics to driving condition.

--Tim
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

Is that an aussie exclusive item? Do you have the link for them? Thanks again.
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

http://www.pedders.com.au
http://www.peddersusa.com They have a distributor in the States!

They have 2 listings for the Leganza, one has shocks listed for them and the other doesnt. Might be worth contacting them for suitability.

--Tim