BosnianLanos's 1999 Daewoo Lanos SX Sedan

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

BosnianLanos's 1999 Daewoo Lanos SX Sedan

Post by BosnianLanos »

Well, I've been here for a hell of a long time, so I thought it was finally time for me to do an intro/my ride post.

Basically:

Myself:
My name is Damir, I am originally from Sarajevo, Bosnia, but I moved to Clearwater, Florida after the war broke out. I could go on for a while about myself, but you came for the car.

The car:
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX Sedan. Mods so far are very light, because as I'm sure some of you know, my car has 197,000 Miles on it, and I was planning for it to croak, but it seems to be enjoying its life and not wanting to leave me. Well, VERY basic mods so far include. (It isn't as rice as it may sound)

* Custom SRI from a Civic (BOO)
* Magnecor 8mm cables
* Custom Ground Wires
* Ported Intake Manifold
* Ported Exhaust Manifold
* Polished and slightly ported TB
* Custom mesh grille
* Meshed front bumper
* (Sadly) APC fog lamps
* 7000K Nokya Headlamps
* Eurolite blue blinkers
* Silver accented interior
* All blue interior lights
* Panasonic Head Unit w/ Lightning Audio speakers all around (Cheap, I Know)

Well, I recently came into some money, and my other expenses are well taken care of, so, for a bit of fun, I've decided to invest in the Daewoo. Why invest in a 197,000 mile Daewoo you ask? Well, your guess is as good as mine. I don't plan to race the Daewoo, and I don't live under the premise that I drive an uber-fast car, but, I'd like to see what I can do to it.

Modifications/changes/additions will include:

*Custom CAI from Acura Integra GSR (courtesy Acingteam's idea)
*Oil catch can (No more oil stink)
*Powdercoated: Valve cover, exhaust shield, thermostat housing, wiper motor, intake manifold, TB, battery tie down, and anything else that tickles my fancy.
*Polished fuel rail w/new (perhaps higher flow) injectors.
*Further porting of the manifolds.
*Deep cleaning filth ridden engine bay.
*Urethane mounts
*Custom crush bent cat back exhaust with either Magnaflow or Flowmaster (suggestions?)
*And again, anything else that doesn't please me.

Exterior will be left stock minus the grille, bumper, and blacked out lights. I fear rice.

Interior might be changed a bit, but that will come back later.

My focus is on the engine. I want to prove that a high mileage ancient Daewoo engine can still look, sound, and work respectably.

Well, since I don't want to reveal all my secrets at once, I will show pics little by little, starting with what came in the mail today.

The plan is Friday to go to my wealthy friend's house and workshop, powdercoat the valve cover and exhaust shield as they are the easiest. And then Saturday modify the CAI, and fabricate, and mount the oil catch can and CAI. I will have before and after pics. I hope you enjoy seeing the changes to a 197,000 mile 'Woo

First, My intake goodies. More pics to come on Friday and Saturday. Stay Tuned.

daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

Nice work, Damir. Keep it goin'.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
AcingTeam
Expert

Re: BosnianLanos's 1999 Daewoo Lanos SX Sedan

Post by AcingTeam »

BosnianLanos wrote:*Custom CAI from Acura Integra GSR (courtesy Acingteam's idea)
8)

Awesome, I will love to see more pics of your ride. Only saw the engine pics so far... 197k miles already, that's an accomplishment!
Can't wait to see more pics!!
Last edited by AcingTeam on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

BTW Damir, you got a good motor in that thing 197,000 miles :shock:
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Well as I promised, more pics of the work taking place. I'm sorry that I didn't post on Friday, but a cold drizzle was falling all day and I was tired as hell, so I just wanted to sleep. However, we managed to get the valve cover, exhaust shield, wiper motor, and CAI powdercoated, and we finally installed the CAI and the catch can. It was a very productive day.

Initial test fit of the Integra GSR Intake to the 'Woo. Notice that we are not alone, and that a Lanos Hatch is just across the lot.

Pictures of the basic fit. Kinda reminds me of Intimidator's pictures of the turbocharged Daewoos.

Welding the bracket to the pipe.

It needed a lot of work since it was an aluminum to steel weld, but we finally managed to make it stay.

Final result of the day, you can see all of the powdercoating, and the fit of the CAI. You can also see that the oil catch can mounted perfectly on the ridge behind the Intake manifold.

Well guys, keep it tuned to see further progress on my car. Soon to come, more powdercoating, an exhaust system, and a few changes to the exterior.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

very nice 8) now i thought the catch can had to be different with woos? how did you bypass it?

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I didn't know that it was supposed to be any different with Daewoos. The final pic doesn't show the hose going from the valve cover breather to the catch can, but it is pretty much an in-line setup. I didn't have any of that damned oil odor in the car, and there was oil residue in the can after a 15 mile drive home. So I guess it works well.

If you guys know of a better way to go about doing it, do tell.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

from what i heard daewoos need a catch can with three holes or connections to it to work efficiantly. how many does your have?

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yeah, I've heard that you could in theory put a vacuum hose on the oil catch can, but I don't think it would make any more difference in Daewoos than in other compact cars. Besides, I'm not so much looking to catch oil, but to catch the hot oil odor that enters the cabin through the A/C vents. I could have just hooked it up directly to the breather valve, but I'd rather at least try to catch some residue rather than have it all sucked into my head.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

wow... the powdercoated cam cover looks great!!!!!

so does the heat shield! nice work dude. sure hope your weld holds up to the rocking around under heavy accel :roll:
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Thanks!

As for the weld, so do I. But I don't think it will break. The whole thing is really wedged in there so the bracket is just icing on the cake.

Man, my intake manifold looks dismal, that thing is next. I'm trying to decide if its going to be black, or the same aluminum look as the valve cover.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i'm getting my new intake manifold in the mail soon... i'm thinking about sanding it smooth (inside and out :wink: ) and polishing it up... then anodizing it green or blue :twisted:
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

And this engine has 197,000 miles on it? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

That is some awesome work man. My strut bar would work wonders on your car (it's also blue)! If I ever part it out... which I should.

Have you noticed any power improvements?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Lol, that very engine has 197,000 miles. It does look fairly clean though, doesn't it?

As for power gains?

There were definitely power gains. I guess my old intake setup was just too big for the 1.6L (3" piping w/ gigantic filter). The old one had good top end, but at the waste of low end torque. Personally, the old one sounded better, but I really don't care. The new one doesn't make it obvious that I have an intake, it has a beefy, powerful sound, more so than just the old one, which was just loud. As for the gains. I didn't really notice any great loss @ high RPM, but at low RPM and off the line, you can definitely notice that the new 2.5" piping does a better job with torque. Overall, I'm very pleased.